MMT's take on the recent ECB report comparing energy price increases now to those in the early 70s. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Corporate profit greed is driving inflationary pressures
Thursday, August 4, 2022

Despite all the hysteria about the current inflationary pressures and the reversion of central bank policy committees to the New Keynesian norm – interest rates have to rise to kill of inflation otherwise it becomes a self-fulfilling process where wage demands are made in ‘expectation’ of more inflation and firms (passively in their view) have to pass on the higher unit costs, I remain of the view that this period is transitory. That doesn't win me any friends (other than my true friends). It also leads to another hysterical line of Twitter-type statements that the Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) have gone silent because they were wrong about fiscal deficits not causing inflation and are too ashamed to admit it. I haven’t gone silent. I have been continuous in my advocacy both privately and publicly. The rise in fiscal deficits during the pandemic and the central bank bond purchases have had little to do with this inflationary episode. Covid, sickness of workers, War, natural disasters (floods, fires) and uncompetitive cartels and energy marktes are the reason for the inflation (variously in different countries) and interest rate increases won’t do much at all to target changes in those driving factors. New ECB research (released August 3, 2022) in their Economic Bulletin (Issue 5, 2022) – Wage share dynamics and second-round effects on inflation after energy price surges in the 1970s and today – reinforces my assessment of the situation.

The link =>
http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/

Unthinking Majority wrote:I think you suffer from confirmation bias and you wouldn't accept any evidence if it disproved MMT. Classic Marxist Achilles heel. I think you're determined to give free money to people.

I think that Congress IS GIVING RICH PEOPLE FREE MONEY. TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF FREE MONEY.

I just want the people got get a fair share of the trillions give to the rich.

I'm open to evidence that disproves MMT. Please, show me some. You did say "evidence". Simple assertions by you are not evidence. Matter of fact, IMO, simple assertions by expert MS economists (which are based on proofs using false premises) are also not evidence about reality.

Unthinking Majority wrote:No economist worth their degree would say that stimulus money is the sole driver in the recent inflation. It may not even be the main driver.

Yet, I've seen Sen. Manchin say that he is opposed to more Gov. spending because the stimulus money *is* causing the current inflation. So, economists have not explained the reality to him or he is lying.

Unthinking Majority wrote:
No economist worth their degree would say that stimulus money is the sole driver in the recent inflation. It may not even be the main driver.

It's the Germany-Russia energy shitshow, with its own cover-war. You're welcome.

Unthinking Majority wrote:
I think you suffer from confirmation bias and you wouldn't accept any evidence if it disproved MMT. Classic Marxist Achilles heel. I think you're determined to give free money to people.

Steve's a *Green*, not a Marxist.

@Rich Not for the dead.

"The United States last week secretly shipped[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We don't walk away from our allies says Genocide […]

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]