Positive and negative aspects of capitalism - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Eauz
I just wrote a bunch about it, but I guess you didn't understand. It has a lot to do with alienation too.
By Ombrageux
If there is equality of opportunity (or something close to it) I don't anyone is "exploited".

If we all have roughly equal access to the means of production (EDUCATION) then you have a society which is relatively egalitarian. And at the same time, it is still capitalist and thereby allows for the creation of wealth.
By Attila The Nun
Oh, and I forgot.

You say that Capitalism lets people accumulate wealth, but often, people are sold into a form of labour, or given away by their parents, just so their parents can survive. Add onto this the fact that people are kidnapped, and it doesn't look so great.

Slavery would be illegal in a libertarian society, and kidnapping is usually caused by greed.
By Todd D.
If the majoraty decide, for example, that all black skinned people be executed, then that's unjust. But, there are options. Like all those black people fleeing for their lives and establishing their own society.

This is the joys that pure democracy brings. You flat out ADMIT that the populace could decide something unjust, and then ADMIT that there would be no legal recourse for the opressed, only leaving. Any political system that enables injustice without legal recourse is flawed.
By catquas
Paradigm has it right. Freedom is nothing more than weaker government (whether or not more freedom and less gov is good is an open question). Democracy is quite quite different from freedom.

Note the numerous illiberal democracies that have existed, from Turkish democracy (in which 80% Turks oppresses the 20% of Kurds), Southern US democracy and others. These are known as illiberal democracy, for good reason.

Liberalism (classical) must be enforced, regardless of the will of the 51%. The rights of the minority cannot be stripped by the majority!

I wouldn't say that liberal democracy is the same as weaker government. Liberal democracy involves things like checks and balances, and independend judiciary, civil rights, etc. Some of the aspects might involve weaker government, for example restricting the government's ability to violate civil rights, but others just distribute government power. Simply weakening the government's power does not make it liberal.

This is not a scientific argument for the existen[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster I will never vote for Biden ever. That[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]