More liberal economy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Truth-a-naut
anarcho-capitalist.

You want your cake without the calories.
I would like you to explain your new beliefs to me.
By tragicclown
If you just throw off an ideology and pick up anouther at random than you are likely worthless to any and all causes.
By Todd D.
Anarchist Capitalism sounds basically like what Locke referred to as "State of Nature", where everyone attempts to take what they want, with no governing authority to regulate what is right or wrong.

Some people mistakenly call Libertarians Anarchist Capitalists.
By Cap
Todd D. wrote:Some people mistakenly call Libertarians Anarchist Capitalists.

It makes sense to me. Free people.... free market.

...as opposed to state controlled economy and authoritarian rule of the people.

Could you explain this "mistake" to me please?

Cap 8)
By smashthestate
CaptainCanada wrote:Could you explain this "mistake" to me please?

With pleasure...

Libertarians are in favor of Laissez Faire capitalism, where the state is separated from the economy in the same way and for the same reasons it is separated from religion.

While they want no government in the economy, they do not favor the absense of government overall. They want to make sure that the rights of each citizen---the right to life, liberty, and property---are not violated. In order to ensure this, a government is needed. Libertarians say that the only purpose of the government is to protect rights, not grant privilages. It's basically only there to prevent people from hurting eachother.
By Cap
...which would mean they are not anarchist.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Cap 8)
By Goranhammer
There is such a thing as anarcho-capitalism.

It's called looting.
By unPerson1
If anarcho-capitalism is looting, does that mean anarcho-communism is looting, stashing everything in one giant pile, and then distributing evenly to everyone?
By Antihero
For some odd reason I cannot put those two together...
Anarchy and Capitalism?
And changing your views and beliefs so quickly only means you are not to be trusted.
By Todd D.
smashthestate wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:Could you explain this "mistake" to me please?

With pleasure...

Libertarians are in favor of Laissez Faire capitalism, where the state is separated from the economy in the same way and for the same reasons it is separated from religion.

While they want no government in the economy, they do not favor the absense of government overall. They want to make sure that the rights of each citizen---the right to life, liberty, and property---are not violated. In order to ensure this, a government is needed. Libertarians say that the only purpose of the government is to protect rights, not grant privilages. It's basically only there to prevent people from hurting eachother.

Just to add to this, most Libertarians also add that it is the purpose of government to provide, as Adam Smith put it "certain public works and certain public institutions, which it can never be for the interest of any individual, or small number of individuals, to erect and maintain" (Book V, pp 210-211). This would include infrastucture such as roads and bridges as government's responsibility.
By SpecialOlympian
How do Libertarians feel about pollution laws, safe work place laws, and the FDA?
By Cap
SpecialOlympian wrote:How do Libertarians feel about pollution laws, safe work place laws, and the FDA?

smashthestate wrote:They want to make sure that the rights of each citizen---the right to life, liberty, and property---are not violated.

I'd assume they would have no problem with those institutions, since pollution, bad work conditions and poorly regulated food and drugs could drastically affect a citizen's health, i.e. right to live.

But then again... I don't speak for libertarians, this is only my understanding from smash's explanation of their stance.

Cap 8)
By smashthestate
SpecialOlympian wrote:How do Libertarians feel about pollution laws, safe work place laws, and the FDA?

They are against pollution laws, however, the second that pollution damages someone else's property or health or whatever, it will be stopped. While there is an absense of pollution regulations, the law of protecting each citizen from physical harm or property damage by the actions of another citizen, major pollution in all forms would be against the law, for it damages people's property and health.

They are against safe work place laws. No employer forces its employees to work, so by choosing to work there, the employee takes on the risks of the workplace. However, history has shown that employers who provide no or little safety to their employees quickly find their workers leaving or striking.

They are also totally against the FDA. They believe that product quality control should be turned into private product quality reporting. The FDA, and the other thousands of medical regulations, fees, and taxes, is what has driven medical care costs so high. As far as private product quality reporting, such organizations already exist. Observe such groups as the Consumer Reports, etc. These private groups tend to be far more honest and efficient in exposing unsafe and harmful products than any government agency has been.
By smashthestate
CaptainCanada wrote:lol... yeah.

(D'oh!)

Cap, if you want to know the positions, head on over to www.lp.org .

It talks about their positions on most of the major issues.
By Edric O
smashthestate wrote:Libertarians are in favor of Laissez Faire capitalism, where the state is separated from the economy in the same way and for the same reasons it is separated from religion.

And now for the translation:

Libertarians are in favor of Laissez Faire capitalism, where the state is separated from the economy in the same way and for the same reasons it is separated from religion. Libertarians live in their own private 18th century fantasy land, where the economy is a personal issue just like religion. Their dogma refuses to acknowledge the existence of social interactions and social forces, while claiming that the perfect society is a Social Darwinist inferno where the strong live in luxury and the weak suffer in poverty and misery.
Remember: There is no God but the Free Market, and Ayn Rand is His Prophet.

While they want no government in the economy, they do not favor the absense of government overall. After all, the rich ubermenschen need armed thugs to protect them from the starving masses. Libertarians want to make sure that the rights of each citizen---especially the right to work like a slave or starve to death---are not violated. In order to ensure this, a government is needed. Libertarians say that the only purpose of the government is to protect the rights of the rich and powerful, not to grant any privilages to the poor souls that the rich and powerful are exploiting. The government is basically only there to prevent the poor from hurting the rich in desperation. And to drown revolutions in blood.
By Edric O
smashthestate wrote:They are against pollution laws, however, the second that pollution damages someone else's property or health or whatever, it will be stopped. While there is an absense of pollution regulations, the law of protecting each citizen from physical harm or property damage by the actions of another citizen, major pollution in all forms would be against the law, for it damages people's property and health.

Remember: In Libertarian philosophy, everything revolves around Property. A man's worth is measured in the wealth and property he has accumulated. But Libertarians are quick to point out how evil it is to gain wealth by putting a gun to your head and demanding all your money. That's a big no-no. Instead of that, they want to put you into a position where you have a choice between giving them your money or starving to death. They hate physical force because it might be used against the rich and powerful, but they love blackmail because the rich and powerful are the only ones who can do it. :roll:

But enough of that - let's get to the point. From what you just said, Smashthestate, I conclude that in your Libertarian Paradise it would be perfectly ok for companies to dump tons of toxic waste on public land where no one lives - like Antarctica, for example. Am I right?

smashthestate wrote:They are against safe work place laws. No employer forces its employees to work, so by choosing to work there, the employee takes on the risks of the workplace.

And what if ALL workplaces have equally bad conditions? What if ALL employers treat their workers like dirt and don't waste a penny over their safety? What "choice" do you have then?

smashthestate wrote:However, history has shown that employers who provide no or little safety to their employees quickly find their workers leaving or striking.

You should study 19th century history a bit more, and learn about the working conditions that were forced upon the people by their employers during those times.

Also, I see you neglect to mention that Libertarians want to give employers the right to fire any workers on the spot. Thus, anyone who goes on a strike is immediately fired.

smashthestate wrote:They are also totally against the FDA. They believe that product quality control should be turned into private product quality reporting. The FDA, and the other thousands of medical regulations, fees, and taxes, is what has driven medical care costs so high. As far as private product quality reporting, such organizations already exist. Observe such groups as the Consumer Reports, etc. These private groups tend to be far more honest and efficient in exposing unsafe and harmful products than any government agency has been.

And what happens when drug companies start bribing these private organizations to give favourable reports?
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

This doesn't make sense, though you have managed […]

Then the protesters are merely criticizing the po[…]

You're funny. https://www.amazon.co[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]