In the future, will capitalism mean that people have to pay to walk and talk? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For importunate arguments and postings imponderable to virtually all forum members. Though their authors might believe the only problem is everyone else's impercipience.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Essentially yes.
I don't know if this happens else where; But, in Jordan, there is a road called the airport highway, obviously its the one leading to the airport ( :p ), and its split into two sections; one which is effectively a low-maintenance road with many cracks and holes and barely straight and its free, or you can use the other section which is probably one of the best roads you'll drive but you'll have to pay to use it.
Its been several years since I've been to Jordan so I'm not sure if its still like that, but during the last year of my stay there, the highway operated as such.

So in a wider view, we can already see entire roads, highways, areas which you have to pay to just walk or drive on, and its not private properties but rather what should be considered public property. So its not that far of a pitch to assume that in the future, near or far, you'd have to pay to even walk in public.
anasawad wrote:Essentially yes.
I don't know if this happens else where; But, in Jordan, there is a road called the airport highway, obviously its the one leading to the airport ( :p ), and its split into two sections; one which is effectively a low-maintenance road with many cracks and holes and barely straight and its free, or you can use the other section which is probably one of the best roads you'll drive but you'll have to pay to use it.
Its been several years since I've been to Jordan so I'm not sure if its still like that, but during the last year of my stay there, the highway operated as such.

So in a wider view, we can already see entire roads, highways, areas which you have to pay to just walk or drive on, and its not private properties but rather what should be considered public property. So its not that far of a pitch to assume that in the future, near or far, you'd have to pay to even walk in public.

You make some interesting points; walking in public seems a foregone conclusion, however, there's also the issue of walking in private
Technically speaking, you already do, since you need a land on or space to walk in you have to either pay rent to someone or you "buy" that place which in modern form of private property, when you "buy" the property, what you're actually buying is a permanent rent contract from the state. (thats why the state is the one that is sovereign on the land not individual people, the state owns all the land in the country, and it rents it to the people. If the people fully owned the land then the people would be the ones whom are sovereign-they're not-.)
So in general, to have the ability to walk in private, you have to pay.

EDIT:
BTW, this is also the legal basis for the ability of the state to cease private property.
Now to be honest 'm not sure how it is in the far west, but here and in Lebanon and Jordan and if I remember correctly also Iran, this is how the law actually works. In the west its probably the same just with a few more little twists.
You are horrified at our intending to do away with private property. But in your existing society, private property is already done away with for nine-tenths of the population; its existence for the few is solely due to its non-existence in the hands of those nine-tenths. You reproach us, therefore, with intending to do away with a form of property, the necessary condition for whose existence is the non-existence of any property for the immense majority of society.

They have monopolized everything that it is possible to monopolize; they have got the whole earth, the minerals in the earth and the streams that water the earth. The only reason they have not monopolized the daylight and the air is that it is not possible to do it. If it were possible to construct huge gasometers and to draw together and compress within them the whole of the atmosphere, it would have been done long ago, and we should have been compelled to work for them in order to get money to buy air to breathe.

And if that seemingly impossible thing were accomplished tomorrow, you would see thousands of people dying for want of air - or of the money to buy it - even as now thousands are dying for want of the other necessities of life. You would see people going about gasping for breath, and telling each other that the likes of them could not expect to have air to breathe unless the had the money to pay for it. Most of you here, for instance, would think and say so.

Even as you think at present that it's right for so few people to own the Earth, the Minerals and the Water, which are all just as necessary as is the air. In exactly the same spirit as you now say: "It's Their Land," "It's Their Water," "It's Their Coal," "It's Their Iron," so you would say "It's Their Air," "These are their gasometers, and what right have the likes of us to expect them to allow us to breathe for nothing?" And even while he is doing this the air monopolist will be preaching sermons on the Brotherhood of Man; he will be dispensing advice on "Christian Duty" in the Sunday magazines; he will give utterance to numerous more or less moral maxims for the guidance of the young. And meantime, all around, people will be dying for want of some of the air that he will have bottled up in his gasometers.

And when you are all dragging out a miserable existence, gasping for breath or dying for want of air, if one of your number suggests smashing a hole in the side of one of the gasometers, you will all fall upon him in the name of law and order, and after doing your best to tear him limb from limb, you'll drag him, covered with blood, in triumph to the nearest Police Station and deliver him up to "justice" in the hope of being given a few half-pounds of air for your trouble.

- p. 152, Ragged Trousered Philanthropists

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]