Individual vs. Social - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Co-ordination of all publishing projects.

Moderator: Administrators PoFo

By Demosthenes
Individual vs. Social

1) Rugged Individualism should be a way of life that everyone aspires too.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

2) If the state will ask me to lay down my life for it, It is reasonable to ask the state to help me maintain my life in return.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

3) Taxation is a form of theft from the individual.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

4) At the height of the cold war, when tensions between the former USSR and the US were at their highest, both societies were at their peaks, as both nations had a plan and a focus.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

5) If my neighbor needs help, I don’t mind pitching in as I know sooner or later, I’ll need a cup of sugar.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

6) Public Schools are an example of a failed government program
A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

7) Since we know “Public schools” were first begun by corporations seeking to train better employees for their factories, it is reasonable to deduct that they will never function in a much higher capacity now or in the future.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

8 ) I would be willing to pay a higher rate of taxation (up to 50%) in order to enjoy extra government benefits like free tertiary education, healthcare (if you don’t already get this), extra vacation and sick leave, as well as some kind of modest retirement package.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

9) Because the government is by nature, not-for-profit, it cannot run anything as efficiently as a for-profit corporation or other privately run business, therefore enacting social programs under the framework of government is an exercise in futility and overspending.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

10) I am my brother’s keeper.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

I am reasonably confident in this section, but am very open to criticism here. One thing I notice is that the way I have defined Big Government is essentially ANY government involvement in anything. This will tend to push those taking the test to the center of the axis no matter where they fall on the traditional spectrum. What I wonder is, should that matter first of all, and second of all, do we think that is reasonably accurate?
By Okonkwo
Tigerlily wrote:I don't understand what #10 means. Is it a reference to something?

Then the Lord said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?"
"I know not," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"
Then He said, "What have you done? Your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground! So now you are cursed [with alienation][43] from the ground that opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood you have shed. If you work the land, it will never again give you its yield. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth."
But Cain answered the Lord, "My punishment is too great to bear! Since You are banishing me today from the soil, and I must hide myself from Your presence and become a restless wanderer on the earth, whoever finds me will kill me."
Then the Lord replied to him, "In that case, whoever kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over." And he placed a mark on Cain so that whoever found him would not kill him. Then Cain went out from the Lord's presence and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

(Genesis 4:9-16)

It's a quote from the Biblical story of Cain and Abel. Most likely, the question refers to this passage and is meant to assess a person's interest in guarding and helping their fellow human beings, as opposed to everybody caring only about himself.
By Demosthenes
Okonkwo has the correct reference actually.

I also notice my comments on this one are for the Big Gov/Small Gov axis...(whoops...) :(
By HoniSoit
Regarding to the 4th quesiton:

4) At the height of the cold war, when tensions between the former USSR and the US were at their highest, both societies were at their peaks, as both nations had a plan and a focus.

I find it a little ambiguous in terms of Social vs. Individual. Does it mean I am more Social if I strongly agree with the statement?
By Demosthenes
Well, yes...that's what I had hoped for. The general idea was that both nations had collective goals at the time, something the US has lacked since. I'm not implying it was the most...healthy way of having a national goal of course...

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions all the way around, from revision to removal in favor of somethign better!

Thanks for your interest!

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]