Absolutist vs. Non-absolutist - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Co-ordination of all publishing projects.

Moderator: Administrators PoFo

Absolutist Vs. Non-absolutist
Non-absolutist: http://www.arjaybooks.com/EthTech/Text/Ch3/Ch3.4.html

1) Killing another human being is always wrong.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

2) If your spouse fell ill and you could not afford the medicine that would save his/her life, it would be moral to steal only what he/she needs to survive.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

3) Morality originates with the creator, and the creator alone

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

4) Moral Law is the only morality.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

5) Morality is a logical fallacy in and of itself, simply because of the lack of any meaningful ability to utilize any non-biased deductive reasoning on any given moral issue.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

6) At times, I base my decision making on hunches or intuition as opposed to cold hard logic.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

7) If 90% of the people in a society agree that crimes against children are morally acceptable, then they are morally acceptable within that society.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

8) If one nation possesses the raw materials to free the world from oil dependence, but are unable to harness this material, it would be morally acceptable for another capable nation to invade it so that it might better exploit those resources both for their own profit, and for the benefit of the rest of the world.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

9) Life has no meaning other than the meaning I give it.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

10) Might makes right.

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) No Opinion
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

I ended up writing this axis after a little research into just what the hell Maxim had been talking about when he wrote this... And all this time I thought he meant Kings... :?: :knife: Yeah, ok...so anyway, knowing this, please review these with a fine tooth comb to make sure I'm not too far off track. Thanks!! :D
By Demosthenes
Ok, in review several of these questions were missing the mark concerning moral absolutism. I'm assuming most people are thinking Kings and Queens with this axis...

:lol:

Ah well...anyway, half the questions have no been revised for accuracy...
By unbalanced zealot
If 90% of the people in a society agree that crimes against children are morally acceptable, then they are morally acceptable within that society.

This one isn't clear ... it could be interpreted as smacking a naughty child or it could be interpreted as forcing children to work in mines or sweatshops in a form a slavery.
By Demosthenes
Actually that part doesn't matter. The point is, an absolutist believes it's wrong (or right) no matter what 90% say, it doesn't matter what the crime is.
By Thunderhawk
3) Morality originates with the creator, and the creator alone

I think of the Manson cult and the like where morals are created (or existing ones edited) for the cultists.

Do you mean "creator = god" or "creator = authority" figure ?

If you want to keep out of that debate, perhaps writing "from one or more creator(s)"?
I believe it would cover a series of "creators" aswell as individual creators and keep it vague enough that people could believe it refers to people or gods, and without triggering atheists to (strongly) disagree by default.

6) At times, I base my decision making on hunches or intuition as opposed to cold hard logic.

"At times" means what?
Often or rare?

Perhaps "usually" ?
Though this might be cultural bias.. I view "usual" as meaning the common response/action. "At times" means rare for me, but I know many people who use it as a cover phrase when they dont want to admit doing something often.
Last edited by Thunderhawk on 13 Feb 2010 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
By Demosthenes
I got rid of that question, it's slightly relevant, but really it doesn't apply to the axis properly. I appreciate the input, but the "final" versions of all the questions are in the new big thread...

And it was also debunked.

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]