Eastern Orthodox is more accurate than other sects - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Kylie
would have to disagree with you there. Too many Christian sects deny basic Christian tenets, many others have doctrines that are not scripturally correct.

True, but in the eyes of God, that doesn't make one Christian sect better than another. I would agree that I'm more comfortable with some as far as them following things scripturally; however, all have their little problems, and in the eyes of God, no Christian is better than another if you're saved.

Actually, to some Reformed Christians celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday would be a sin. Not that I necessarily agree with them but it would.

Ahh..good point. Some have solemn events (i.e. the Amish) on the actual holiday, but others celebrate it.
By Red Star
Oh yes, let's worship Orthodoxy now. What a horribly bigoted group they are. I thank them for some pretty looking monasteries and churches, and recognise what they did (at least in Bulgaria) during the Ottoman rule...but as I was saying, bigoted buggers.
By Vladimir
Like the Orthodox church never did this. What about non-Russian Orthodox churches, would they be deviants?

No, all orthodoxy follows the correct teaching.
The roman pope tried to convert Russia to catholism, but could not. Tsar Ivan Vasilyevich told him to f**k off, basically.
By Proeliator Sancti
At least our priests don't have sex with boys.
that's what I'm saying, marriage in priesthood is the best idea ever, I'm not a priest or married but my relationships with girls have taught me more about God than anything else
By Falx
Considering that Jesus was most likely fiction I don't see how following the old fiction is any more accurate than following new fiction. It's not like any of the stories in the gospels aren't flatly contradicted by the official documents of the events they were describing.
By Proeliator Sancti
say whatever you want about jesus in relation to theology or lackthereof but he fucking existed, don't argue that
By Nattering Nabob
The real meaning of Christmas is some fat old guy with an unhealthy obsession with creeping into children's bedrooms in the middle of the night as an advertising gimmick for multinational corporations to sell lots of overpriced toys. It certainly has nothing to do with that long-haired sandal-wearing hippy bastard Jesus.

Said the Grinch who desperately wanted to participate in the mythology but was prevented from doing so by his intellect...I mean by his small heart. :lol:
By Russkie
Oh yes, let's worship Orthodoxy now. What a horribly bigoted group they are. I thank them for some pretty looking monasteries and churches, and recognise what they did (at least in Bulgaria) during the Ottoman rule...but as I was saying, bigoted buggers.

The Russian church is proud to have the same traditions unchanged by outsiders for thousand years. We believe that our church practices the original ceremonies of Jesus, unlike other sects, which were influenced by jewry.
By Potemkin
We believe that our church practices the original ceremonies of Jesus, unlike other sects, which were influenced by jewry.

Um... I hate to be the one to break this to you, Russkie, but Jesus was a Jew.
By Shade2
The other are nothing but sectants and deviants. they spilt innocent blood for centuries, they persecuted others, they started unholy wars.

Russian Orthodox Church praised occupation of Poland, blessed imperialistic monuments of occupation in Warsaw with words of encouragement toward Russian Imperialism, and supported discrimination of non-orthodox people in Russian Empire.
Of course in modern times Orthodox religion is present only in very underdeveloped countries with little influence on world affairs and among a handfull of people(I would be surprised if it is worshiped by more then 100 milion people in reality), so nobody really cares for it much.
By Proeliator Sancti
Russian Orthodox Church praised occupation of Poland, blessed imperialistic monuments of occupation in Warsaw with words of encouragement toward Russian Imperialism, and supported discrimination of non-orthodox people in Russian Empire.
religious conviction makes people do stupid things. that's not a fault with the religion itself but instead with the practicioners, who were made that way by their conviction that they couldn't have had for a bad religion
By Vasili Schmidt

There was not notable discrimination towards non-orthodox people in Russian Empire. Discrimination against Jews was also based on their status as visibly strange outsiders speaking the weird Yiddish language. The Orthodox Church specifically rejected to spread their religion to the Turkic and Mongoloid peoples eastward. Catherine II accepted religious pluralism in Russia, seeking to create a Muslim hierarchy.

There was not a Russian occupation of Poland. Rather, through various wars traced to Polish aggression in 1609, Russia, as Catherine II explained, preoceeded to liberate primarily Ukrainian and Belorussian territories which were stolen by Lithuanians in the 14th century. If you consider the presence of Poles in Russia to be an "occupation" even though this so-called Polish territory was in fact Ukrainian and Belorussian, then the Polish-Lithuanians occupied East Slavic Orthodox territory.

If you want to talk about religious discrimination, refer to Poland's mistreatment of Orthodox Christians. Forceably, the Orthodox Church was brought under the control of the Pope which angered the East Slavs. In a 1689 treaty signed between Russia and Poland, Poland finally promised to stop oppressing the Orthodox population living in Belorussian and Ukrainian provinces.

In 1596 the Union of Brest-Litovsk subordinated the Eastern Orthodox church of the Commonwealth to the papacy by creating the Eastern-rite (Uniate) church. Politically, this was intended to cement the cohesion of the state vis-à-vis Moscow; instead it led to internal divisions among the Orthodox. The new Eastern-rite church became a hierarchy without followers while the forbidden Eastern Orthodox church was driven underground. Wladyslaw's recognition of the latter's existence in 1632 May have come too late. The Orthodox masses—deprived of their native protectors, who had become Polonized and Catholic—turned to the Cossacks.

Source: Encyclopedia Brittanica

But this was the very misfortune that the Ruthenian nobility, this very Ruthenian higher class who was benefiting from being under the power of Poland, was not able to hold to its own from the moral oppression, that was burdening the Orthodox religion and the Ruthenian ethnicity. Entering into the relations with the Polish Szlachta, adopting the Polish language and Polish habits, the Ruthenian people were not powerful enough to hold on to their forefathers' religion. Catholicism was supported by the eye catching shine of the Western enlightenment. In Poland, the Ruthenian religion and the Ruthenian ethnicity were looked down at: everything resembling Ruthenian seemed to the eye of the Polish society as rustic, vulgar, savage, ignorant, something an educated and upstanding citizen should be ashamed of. Catholics had much better means for education and, therefore, the children of the Orthodox nobility were taught by the Catholics. Stirred up by their teachers, who indoctrinated them with the reverence to Catholicism, entering the court, where they in the prevailing propaganda spirit only heard about the same reverence, the Ruthenian youths inevitably adopted the same attitude towards the religion and the ethnicity of their forefathers, as usually common for those who draw on the alienation under the full conviction that the alien is the sign of education and gives the honor and respect in the everyday life which they are to be part of. The converted to the Catholicism descendants of the noble families, looking back at the morality of their forefathers found themselves in the same mood, as their ancestors who abandoned the Paganism and adopted the Christianity many centuries prior to that. One after the other they adopted the new religion and felt ashamed of the previous one. True, as it always is in the transitional periods, so was in the period of Catholicization of the Ruthenian nobility, for as long as half-a-century, or sometimes even longer, there were remaining adherents of the old tradition and they made themselves heard, but those were becoming very few and far between, and finally there were none.

http://www.kulichki.com/inkwell/text/sp ... stom22.htm

Morever, it was the Catholic Church which supported the vicious imperialism practiced by the French, Portuguese, and Spanish. The Catholic Church supported fascism in Italy and Spain.

Of course in modern times Orthodox religion is present only in very underdeveloped countries with little influence on world affairs and among a handfull of people(I would be surprised if it is worshiped by more then 100 milion people in reality), so nobody really cares for it much.

That is incorrect as Russia is a permanent member of the UN Security Council meaning that the permission of Russia is required in order for action to be taken. Russia's enormous military strength and natural resources render it a superpower. The characterization of Russia, Ukraine and others as "underdeveloped" countries is a misunderstanding as Russia is an advanced industrialized, urban country. In Europe, there are more Orthodox Christians than Catholics.
Last edited by Vasili Schmidt on 19 Oct 2006 20:24, edited 4 times in total.
By Vivisekt
Proeliator Sancti wrote:but he fucking existed, don't argue that

Oh yes? I'm not convinced. Prove it.
One imaginary friend is as hollow as another.
By Red Star
The Russian church is proud to have the same traditions unchanged by outsiders for thousand years.

Therein lies the problems. We are not living the 11th century any more, despite what Father Mikhail or whoever wants.

Of course in modern times Orthodox religion is present only in very underdeveloped countries with little influence on world affairs

I love it how Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine etc suddenly became very underdeveloped, and Russia became a meaningless backwater.
By Vasili Schmidt
Jesus was a Jew.

That is false. If Jesus was a Jew, then every Christian would be a Jew.
By Proeliator Sancti
If Jesus was a Jew, then every Christian would be a Jew.
that's the way the first christians saw it, some were even forcing gentiles to convert to juddhaism before christianity. and the romans saw christianity as just another sect of juddhaism
By Shade2
I love it how Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine etc suddenly became very underdeveloped, and Russia

Which they are in case you haven't noticed.

There was not notable discrimination towards non-orthodox people in Russian Empire

Of course there was, for example only Orthodox believers were allowed to have high ranks in Russian military, and anybody wanting promotion had to convert.

There was not a Russian occupation of Poland.

In which alternate universe ?
Sadly in mine my people were opressed, murdered and enslaved by Russian occupiers with the blessings of Russian Orthodox Church:
By its very presence… the Russian Church declares to the world… that in the western terrains along the Vistula, mighty Orthodox rule has taken root… The appearance of a new… church in Warsaw as a boundary and pillar of Orthodox Russia will animate the hopes of the Orthodox Slavs for unification under the Orthodox cross."
Said during raising of an ugly monument of Russian occupation in Polish capital of Warsaw. Naturally the only Orthodox Slavs were Russian occupying troops and secret police that murdered Poles.

If you consider the presence of Poles in Russia to be an "occupation" even though this so-called Polish territory was in fact Ukrainian and Belorussian, then the Polish-Lithuanians occupied East Slavic Orthodox territory.

You really are confused aren't you. East Slavs didn't exist at the time of Russian occupation of Poland. Russians aren't Ukrainians or Belarussians, and they didn't liberate them but put into more slavery, which btw led to both Ukrainians and Belarussians resistence towards Russian occupation.
then the Polish-Lithuanians occupied East Slavic Orthodox territory.

In your alternate world Warsaw, Vilnius, Lódż are East Slavic territories ? That must be interesting alternate world you live in but in mine those territories had Polish population that was under Russian occupation. They were no East Slavs however at any time in those territories.

. Forceably, the Orthodox Church was brought under the control of the Pope which angered the East Slavs. In a 1689 treaty

There were no East Slavs in 1689, unless they were result of time-travelling machine making a sight-seeing stop there.

In Europe, there are more Orthodox Christians than Catholics.

Laughable. There are more Catholics in Poland then they are Orthodox faithfull in Russia alone.
Last edited by Shade2 on 19 Oct 2006 22:07, edited 2 times in total.
By Proeliator Sancti
Laughable. There are more Catholics in Poland then they are Orthodox faithfull in Russia alone.
true but we're more powered there than idk..... scientologists in america
By Red Star
Which they are in case you haven't noticed

Define underdeveloped.

I'd love to see what crackpot definition you have.
By Shade2
Oh HDI index, AIDS spread, health care system, life expectancy.
A county like Russia where men die quicker then in Bangladesh, people have AIDS infection rates on the scale of Africa, can't be seen as anything else as part of third world.
Serbia or Russia aren't exactly the most succesfull countries in the world.

@Rich Not for the dead.

"The United States last week secretly shipped[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We don't walk away from our allies says Genocide […]

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]