Imperialist Powers - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Boondock Saint
Boon, are you a realistic imperialist, or are you just trying to steal CWAS's shtick?

Reailist imperialist.

I view imperialism as a tool that can and should be used at the right time and moment and for the right reasons.

Cultural imperialism is typically the most acceptable form of imperialism imo. One example of this would be the attempt to purge the Southern USA of Confederate culture and replace it with Yankee culture. Surely, a failed attempt, but a noble one at any rate.

When imperialism benefits the population being conquered it can be seen as noble and thus, moral. At least, that is my opinion.
By stannis
Imperialism is usually seen as moral and therefore justified by the people doing the conquering. The reality on the ground is often different.
By Shade2
What nations do you consider to be imperialist powers?

Today only Russia, Iran and Germany. All other countries are interested in peacefull and prosperous co-existance of the world.
The three rogue nations named by me are interested in destroying the status of the world in the name of creating empires that would serve their nationalistic desires.
By stannis
You are laughably wrong on Germany. But then you are laughably wrong on most things.
By Shade2
You are laughably wrong on Germany. But then you are laughably wrong on most things.

Yes. It takes a Frenchman to know what Germany wants.
:lol:
Because of course Geramny doesn't pursue a strategy to increase its influence in EU while destroying independence of those opposing it-for example by creating a possibility of using energy blackmail against them.
But then again I am just a Pole. Perhaps French know better considering their succesfull dealings with Germany in 1939, and post-war transformation into German province when it comes to their national interests. :)
Last edited by Shade2 on 20 Nov 2006 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
By Theodore
Never mind Shade2, his tinfoil hat is preventing anyone from getting through to him.
By stannis
I should like very much that he be purged from these halls of discussion.

Consider it my early Christmas present.
By Boondock Saint
Imperialism is usually seen as moral and therefore justified by the people doing the conquering. The reality on the ground is often different.

Oh a fair point, I also understand and accept that a population will resist all attempts at imperialist conquest.

Imperialism is difficult, though not always wrong.
By Shade2
I should like very much that he be purged from these halls of discussion.

Censoring of those who reject your rosy view of Franco-Germania ?
How typical and predictable from somebody supporting EU. The stench of totalitarism from Brussels can be smalled as far away as in in Poland.
By stannis
First of all, you did not apologise for accusing me of being French. I was deeply insulted by the insinuation that I am a Frenchman.

Secondly, I was joking about purging you. I know that if you called for my purge, you would be joking too.

You are a paranoid anti-European who really, really, needs to loosen up and open his mind a little.
By Shade2
You are a paranoid anti-European

Of course. Its not like Germany enters an alliance with Russia by making moves that will allow Central Europe to be blackmailed by Russia.It is all the creation of my imagination.

needs to loosen up and open his mind a little.

Similiar text and patterns of speach are easly found in German posters from 1939-1944 that were adressed to Poles
By stannis
That's right. Just compare anyone you don't like to the Nazis.
By Shade2

That's right. Just compare anyone you don't like to the Nazis.

Nope, I will only compere those who share similiar political views. Nazis openly declared their intentions of creating United Europe so why shouldn't their political views be compered to views of those who also want united Europe.
It is also ironic that both used similiar arguments towards Poles.
By stannis
As if Poland is the only country that suffered at the hands of the Nazis. :roll:
By Shade2
f Poland is the only country that suffered at the hands of the Nazis. Roll eyes

In the long term only Poland and Britain suffered downfall because of WW2. Poland had its society destroyed and faced occupation and exploitation by Soviet Russia, Britain had its world power status destroyed.
By Thoss
Historically the list is long. Within the scope of the 20th century though there are a few notables who qualified (and qualify) for the imperialist Club.

US, Great Britain, France, Germany, other Western European nations, Russia (Soviet or otherwise), Eastern European Nations (Poland, Hungary, etc) Communist China, Japan, Turkey, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.

These are most glaring, I believe.

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]

...Which Hamas refuses and wasn't ordered by the […]

@skinster so you confess that Hamas committed ma[…]