Russian language is declining - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

К 2025 году число носителей русского языка в мире уменьшится вдвое и на нем будут разговаривать примерно столько же людей, сколько и в начале ХХ века. Такие тревожные данные были приведены сегодня на Второй Ассамблее всемирного форума "Интеллектуальная Россия", открывшейся в Брянске.

Как отметил в своем выступлении ректор МГУ имени Ломоносова академик Виктор Садовничий, русский сейчас занимает четвертое место среди самых распространенных языков мира - после английского (500 млн носителей и 1 млрд - владеющих), китайского (1,3 млрд) и испанского - 335 млн носителей и 25 млн изучающих. "По прогнозам, - продолжал он, - уже через 10 лет русский язык обгонят французский, хинди, арабский, а еще через 15 лет - португальский, а сам русский лишится статуса мирового языка".

Translation:

To 2025 year number of carriers of russian language in world will decrease twice and on it so many people will talk approximately, how much and in beginning of ХХ ages.
Such alarm data were they are brought today on Second Assembly of world forum "Intellectual Russia", opening in Bryansk.

And it goes on and says, by 2025, more people will be speaking French, Portugese, than Russian.

http://inauka.ru/news/article69910?subtxt
By Ombrageux
Who will be speaking French so that that language will overtake Russian? Africans?
By Sovereign
more people will be speaking French, Portugese, than Russian

I would have thought this was true already. Obviously, the use and teaching of Russian in the former Soviet states, especially eastern/central Europe has strongly declined.

The future of the language will simply depend on how successful Putin is at reversing Russia's demographic crisis.
By Spin
To 2025 year number of carriers of russian language in

Carriers? Makes it sound like some sort of genetically inherited disease.

Though since this is the Russian language we are talking about, I'm probably not to far off the mark ;)
By Russkie
Spin, that's a direct translation, so it would sound alittle weird towards you.
By Shade2
Well its obvious it is declining. People in Central Europe that were forced to learn this language in order to understand the orders from Russian slavelords are free now, there is little use if for it now, as we can use more practical international languages like english or german. And with old people from occupation period going away, the english-using children will replace the scarred generation that had to learn Russian, a despised language. I am very happy that when I was young, I could choose and now know English rather then Russian.
Last edited by Shade2 on 01 Dec 2006 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
By QatzelOk
French and Portugese will dominate the new international order once the Anglosphere descends into a cesspool of corruption and internal conflict - is what I'm getting out of the OP.
By Shade2
Why don't Russians finally use Latin ? Continuing to use cyrillic seems so backward. I could understand if they would use an alphabet that has thousands of years behind it like China, but Cyrillic is just some invention made to anger opposing side in religious rivalry. Obviously it has no use now, and converting to Latin would be a smart choice.
By C-Kokos
Why should they use Latin? To satisfy your juvenilie Polish nationalism?
By QatzelOk
Shade2 wrote:Why don't Russians finally use Latin ?

Because Russia isn't just a theme park that can (or should) decide to change everything to make it easier for visitors to the magic kingdom to get around.

America converting to metric would be a lot more useful, and less invasive for what's left of the local cultures there.
By Lokakyy
I don't think it would be very useful to switch to latin letters anyway. The cyrillic script certainly isn't rocket science, it certainly doesn't take very long to learn them.
By Shade2
To satisfy your juvenilie Polish nationalism?

Well I am flattered but It weren't the Poles that invented that universal alphabet. :)

Cyrillic can beat the crap out of it.

Cyrillic is used only in few underdeveloped countries, most of which hold little influence in world affairs. It is if you like the alphabet of the worlds backyard.
I am very happy that I learned the language of the worlds elites rather then wasting time to learn the language of the worlds underclass.
By Theodore
Cyrillic is used only in few underdeveloped countries, most of which hold little influence in world affairs.

You can't have it both ways: either Russia is a third world hellhole, and therefore not a threat to Poland, or it's a mighty empire whose hand extends well into Poland.

It is if you like the alphabet of the worlds backyard.

And Latin is a garbled up Phoenician alphabet.
By C-Kokos
Well I am flattered but It weren't the Poles that invented that universal alphabet.

Universal alphabet?

I am very happy that I learned the language of the worlds elites rather then wasting time to learn the language of the worlds underclass.

Polish is not the language of the world's elite. It is the however the language of one of the world's backwaters.
By Russkie
Guys!

Do not feed the troll!

you wasted good space on a topic.

Back to the topic, this is a serious problem. If the language declines, then the entire country declines, since you cannot communicate or spread influence.
By Stipe
Aside from the obvious stuff (like, its their culture), Russian cyrillic is actually better suited to both depicting the sounds (and importantly, the particular sound changes) than the latin alphabet.

Of course, asking the Russians to throw out cyrillic is a lot like asking the Greeks to throw out their alphabet. Not quite the same thing, but pretty close.
Last edited by Stipe on 01 Dec 2006 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
By Shade2
Polish is not the language of the world's elite

It seems you have certain obsession about Poles, Poland and Polish language.
Who said it was ? I was writing about English.
It is the however the language of one of the world's backwaters.

Sadly. Till XVIII century Poland was comperable in status to France or Spain, but the Russian plunder and devestation has downgraded our status in world affairs.
either Russia is a third world hellhole, and therefore not a threat to Poland, or it's a mighty empire whose hand extends well into Poland.
Flawed argument. North Korea is not an empire, yet threatens Japan or South Korea. Besides I thought this was discussion about language ? You people are obsessed with Poland :)

If the language declines, then the entire country declines, since you cannot communicate or spread influence.

The less Russian influence in the world, the more prosperity and peace for the world.
By Kiroff
Carriers? Makes it sound like some sort of genetically inherited disease.

He means native speakers.

---

But it depends on the geopolitical situation really. Lots of people in the former USSR still speak and learn Russian, just to get ahead in life(Even in Estonia, Estonian parents send their children to lyceums in Russia to learn, becuase it's valuable for business! Though that is more on the wealthy people's side).

Hell, I know a Latvian guy on IRC who learned Russian because he played soccer with Russians, and didn't even take any courses in it!

It is if you like the alphabet of the worlds backyard.

Of course as we all know that all nations of Africa and Latin America use Cyrillic :D

---

Aside from the obvious stuff (like, its their culture), Russian cyrillic is actually better suited to both depicting the sounds (and importantly, the particular sound changes) than the latin alphabet.

Yeah, and after the 1905-1917 reform of the Russian language it's downright pointless.

He is still under checks and balances while other[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainly[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The claim is a conditional statement. This is one[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I don't know who are you are referring to, but th[…]