Heavy turnout predicted as Iranians vote - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Donna
MVictorP wrote:I think you understimate the young generation's nationalism. I admite the American invasions all around Iran may have give Ahadmedijidad the sprinter boost he needed.

And Ahmadinejad's reformist opposition are somehow traitors? :eh: His opponents' policies on Iranian security (ala uranium enrichment) are not different from Ahmadinejad's and that of the Abadgaran-ISE. If these elections were fair, all it will show is that a great section of Iranian youth are still very religious and socially conservative, which is simply disappointing.
By Igor Antunov
According to the latest figures, with 30% of the vote left to count, Ahmadinejad leads by 16 points. How in the hell is this irregular?

Was anyone expecting the western media to provide a fair and unbiased report of the outcome, whatever the outcome?

And it's pathetic you call militarily occupied Iraq a 'democracy' Oxy. It IS an 'American' democracy, if thats what you meant.
Last edited by Igor Antunov on 13 Jun 2009 03:41, edited 1 time in total.
By Oxymoron
Blame the hegemony you're trying so hard to push.

So use some Yiddish expressions, obviously me and the elders have our ouw hegemony to push. :muha1:

Yeah, like North Korea.

You have bitten more than you could chew, chump.

North Korea has the backing of China and large number of guns pointed at the South Koreans, so it isnt so easy to just bomb them to hell. But I suppose if they continue being beligerent we will have no choice. Same with Iran, if they start negotiating in good faight there might be hope for them yet.

And it's pathetic you call militarily occupied Iraq a 'democracy' Oxy. It is an 'american' democracy, if thats what you meant.

What is pathetic is your defence of any scum on this earth as long as they oppose the US or Israel or both.
Iraq is a democracy a US friendly Democracy, and they will have alot of success unlike their oil/gas rich neighbor which cant heat their own people.
By MVictorP
And Ahmadinejad's reformist opposition are somehow traitors?

I don't know if they were traitors, but one thing is clear; their time hasn't come yet.

If these elections were fair, all it will show is that a great section of Iranian youth are still very religious and socially conservative, which is simply disappointing.

Yeah, but contemporary events sure weren't blowin' their way, you must admit. If China had invaded Canada, I doubt the Yanks would elect a Democrat.

But I suppose if they continue being beligerent we will have no choice. Same with Iran, if they start negotiating in good faight there might be hope for them yet.

Bravado. Your country, need I repeat, has clearly bitten more war than it can chew.
Last edited by MVictorP on 13 Jun 2009 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
By Igor Antunov
What is pathetic is your defence of any scum on this earth as long as they oppose the US or Israel or both.
Iraq is a democracy a US friendly Democracy, and they will have alot of success unlike their oil/gas rich neighbor which cant heat their own people.

'Everything opposed to the us is scum', ok i got that, after all it's pretty much your ideology.

As for the Iraq/Iran comparison, ridiculous. Iran can't make the most of it's oil production because it has limited refining capacity, meanwhile Iraq doesn't have to worry about refining it's extracted oil because the US will kindly take it off their hands and refine it for them.. :lol:
By Oxymoron
Bravado. Your country, need I repeat, has clearly bitten more war than it can chew.

I dont agree, we had the potential to fight the Soviets across the Globe, we can easily deal with 2-3 more situations especially if occupation is not needed. Its not bravado just the truth.

'Everything opposed to the us is scum', ok i got that, after all it's pretty much your ideology.

Pretty much yes, everything opposed to freedom, and equality, and opportunity which are the core values of our Nation.

As for the Iraq/Iran comparison, ridiculous. Iran can't make the most of it's oil production because it has limited refining capacity, meanwhile Iraq doesn't have to worry about refining it's extracted oil because the US will kindly take it off their hands and refine it for them

See mutual cooperation works quiet nicely.
By MVictorP
I dont agree, we had the potential to fight the Soviets across the Globe, we can easily deal with 2-3 more situations especially if occupation is not needed. Its not bravado just the truth.

You, you didn't. Must I remind you that the US army has returned home it's tail between it's legs against third world countries not so long ago?

You could mutual nuclear holocaust with the Soviets and all the posturing, but never was question to actually fight them on the ground. For all its tech toys and the huge expenditure it requires, your army is ill-prepared for a real ground war and occupation. As the body bags get home, you remember how much you have to lose while these - the Arabs and the Asians - they don't have that much to lose.

Bravado.

See mutual cooperation works quiet nicely.

This kind of cooperation however disappear as soon as you remove the gun.
By Donna
MVP wrote:I don't know if they were traitors, but one thing is clear; their time hasn't come yet.

If this election is even democratic. Paradigm has raised the relevant points that might indicate that it isn't. I'm not claiming anything as assertion as it is still too early still, but the campaigning in Iran for the last few weeks was starting to look like the onset of a 'green' revolution (the color adopted by Iranian progressives).

Yeah, but contemporary events sure weren't blowin' their way, you must admit. If China had invaded Canada, I doubt the Yanks would elect a Democrat.

But the U.S. wasn't at war with Canada for almost a decade in the 1980's. And Iraq borders five other Muslim countries, all with diverse forms of government and ideology, that have not been nearly as provocative as Ahmadinejad's presidency has been. Iran most obviously does not need a leader like Ahmadinejad to retain comfortable security and prestige. Really, I think the religious establishment of Iran is terrified of its youth. A sharp-tongued orator like Ahmadinejad can only be attributed to internal struggle, I think.
By Oxymoron
You, you didn't. Must I remind you that the US army has returned home it's tail between it's legs against third world countries not so long ago?

A war lost because of social upheaval pressures at home which had nothing to do with the actual conflict. We did make mistakes, but we lived we learned.

You could mutual nuclear holocaust with the Soviets and all the posturing, but never was question to actually fight them on the ground.

Thank you for your misinformed opinion.

For all its tech toys and the huge expenditure it requires, your army is ill-prepared for a real ground war and occupation.

We are waging 2 as we speak quiet succesfully I might add in context of the region and historical precedents.

As the body bags get home, you remember how much you have to lose while these - the Arabs and the Asians - they don't have that much to lose.

Really? They are not humans? What do we have that we cant lose I-Pods?

Bravado

No Honesty
By Igor Antunov
Pretty much yes, everything opposed to freedom, and equality, and opportunity which are the core values of our Nation.

Your ideas of 'freedom', 'equality' and 'opportunity' are not universal truths and are not necessarily indicative of the real thing. I accept that no system is perfect, that some systems are better than others, but I also know a single minded hegemon hell-bent bent on domination over others for his own benefit when I see one. You goal is not to better the world, but to better yourself, you are a danger to the whole.

And yes mutual co-operation between master and dog IS beneficial isn't it, for both master and dog, problem is, this goes against your very ideals of freedom, opportunity and equality. :lol: Or maybe it doesn't since you could have a very warped view of what those actually are.

A war lost because of social upheaval pressures at home which had nothing to do with the actual conflict.

It had everything to do with the conflict. You nation couldn't stomach such a war, and that's why it lost it.
By Oxymoron
And yes mutual co-operation between master and dog IS beneficial isn't it, for both master and dog, problem is, this goes against your very ideals of freedom, opportunity and equality. Or maybe it doesn't since you could have a very warped view of what those actually are.

I dont think I do, obviously Iraqis will have better lives without Saddam.
By Igor Antunov
And it's obvious the Saudis will have a better life without the medieval house of saud breathing down their necks. But I don't see you standing for their freedoms. In fact you support a regime that is more absolute, more extreme and far more opressive than Saddam was to his people. And all for YOUR benefit.

Is saudi arabia just on your 'to do list'?
By Oxymoron
And it's obvious the Saudis will have a better life without the medieval house of saud breathing down their necks.

Better then a Taliban style goverment.

But I don't see you standing for their freedoms. In fact you support a regime that is more absolute, more extreme and far more opressive than Saddam was to his people. And all for YOUR benefit.

Again Saudia Arabia is not acting beligerent and we have no reason to topple the regime(One friendly to the US) and install a Democracy.
By Donna
House of Saud is basically a diplomatic Taliban.
By GandalfTheGrey
This wide margin defies all credibility. The polls leading up to this election all indicated a close race

What polls? Who was counted?

From the Tehran Times:

Mr Ahmadinejad's base support is in the rural areas, where it is hard to take a poll or get a general opinion.

An estimated 15 million of the eligible voters reside in rural areas. Studies from previous elections have shown that election turnout in rural areas is higher than in urban areas.

All in all, nothing can be predicted for the 10th presidential election.

Khamenei publicly urged voters not to vote for "pro western" candidates - an endorsement of Ahmedinejad by default. It is true the western media blatantly focused on the anti-Ahmedinejad crowd without really giving an indication of what proportion they represented. I don't think we here in the west can be sure who was the front runner coming into the election.
By Nets
Good news.

It isn't as if Mousawi would have stopped arming Hezbollah and stopped enriching uranium. It's not even as if that is in the President's power.

It's good that Iran's figurehead will continue to be a clown who the US and Europe can't stand.

---
Edited for grammar.
Last edited by Nets on 13 Jun 2009 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
By MVictorP
It's good that Iran's figurehead will continue to be clown who the US and Europe can't stand.

That's an interesting point of view... But and then, what?
By Nets
What do you mean?
By Fasces
It is very possible he may have won, GTG, but for a man to win double what his approval rating once was must be handled with skepticism. Not every stolen election is blatant.

I do not care either way. Western interests are preserved, in actuality, by the continuance of the clown dynasty, but it is most certainly too early to say there is no way fraud did not occur, and it is not wrong to suspect that it might have.

Regardless, the Iranian presidency is a useless figurehead.
By Zyx
Ahmadinejad won?

Yahho Watashi Wa Kattaze~!

That's excellent news!

An anti-imperialist victor make me proud!

Nets wrote:What do you mean?

You clearly advocate war, here, Nets. In fact, war apparently is your preference.

This is not a scientific argument for the existen[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster I will never vote for Biden ever. That[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]