What's Your Favorite Movie Adaption of a Shakespeare Play? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Potemkin
Lawrence Olivier's Henry V, followed by Orson Welles' Macbeth, Akira Kurosawa's Ran and Julie Taymor's Titus.
By Potemkin
Mmmmmm.... Olivier's Henry V. :D
By ingliz
Looking for Richard (Pacino)

My favourite 'Shakespeare' film, but it's not an adaptation of a play.

Kurosawa's Throne of Blood is my favourite adaptation
By millie_(A)TCK
I just checked Looking for Richard (Pacino) trailer. I'll watch the movie. Pacino's acting as Richard III looks promising.
By Figlio di Moros
Loncraine's Richard III
By froggo
I enjoyed Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet. It was so modernly exquisite.
By Figlio di Moros
froggo wrote:I enjoyed Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet. It was so modernly exquisite.

The one with Leonardo DiCaprio, back when he was a teenage heartthrob? That movie sucked sooo much ass, and not even in the good way.
By Figlio di Moros
froggo wrote:I like quirkiness and extravagance. What can I say?

I swear, you and Donald are somehow overcompensating for something in your gayness... :lol:
By froggo
Hmm... Actually, we're pretty tame as far as young homosexuals go. There are some very over-the-top characters in the homosexual world.
By Figlio di Moros
froggo wrote:Hmm... Actually, we're pretty tame as far as young homosexuals go. There are some very over-the-top characters in the homosexual world.

Why am I suddnly imagining you speaking with a lisp? And an "over-the-top character" immediately absolves anyone from a hate crime, IMO, since I fail how to see acting gay is at all natural. I mean, I'm pretty sure Leonidas wasn't a flamer...
By Nets
The Lion King
By millie_(A)TCK
Loncraine's Richard III

Ditto.

Why? The ending was botched. There was so much changed and missing: Richard never killed Tyrell, Richmond wasn't married to Princess Elizabeth before battle with King Richard, the Ghosts that Richard killed were never shown to appear in the dreams of Richmond and Richard before they fought and Richmond's speech which closes the play and the war of the roses is instead replaced by a suicidal laugh by Richard before he jumps off the scafold. None of that is in the play. I like how the movie extended the role of Tyrell but the rest of the changes didn't add anything to the movie.

Ian McKellen's acting was fabulous however, and setting him as a fascist in the 30s was also a brilliant move. I love the beginning of the movie where he enters King Henry's war room with a tank and a gask mask on and kills him. King Henry's dog's barking a nice precedent to Richard's famous opening soliloquy where he talks of dogs barking when he passes. I'd have liked the movie if it wasn't for the darn ending, oh, and the erasure of Queen Margaret also detracted from the play.
Last edited by millie_(A)TCK on 03 Oct 2009 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
By peter_co
Branagh's Henry V. Potemkin, I'm actually quite surprised that you chose Oliver's version. The way the two handled Act IV, Scene III tells the whole story in my opinion:
Oliver: [youtube]3jXFnQUU7yg [/youtube]
Branagh: [youtube]OAvmLDkAgAM[/youtube]
By Potemkin
Meh. I just detest Kenneth Branagh. He's a smug git. :|

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I 've been genuinely wondering John, are you okay[…]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]