Reading: Capital, Volume 1 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discourse exclusively on the basis of historical materialist methodology.
Forum rules: No one line posts please. This forum is for discussion based on Marxism, Marxism-Leninism and similar revisions. Critique of topics not based on historical materialism belongs in the general Communism forum.
By Cookie Monster
An alternative would be to have four reading groups: the spring, summer, autumn and winter group.
By Vera Politica
Cookie Monster wrote:An alternative would be to have four reading groups: the spring, summer, autumn and winter group

Actually, this seems like an interesting idea if we divide up Capital into these respective sessions. This way, it will be much slower paced (take a full year to get through Capital) but will surely attract more participation, especially from students.
By HoniSoit
Just want to say I'm still interested. Been busy lately but would like to participate whenever this starts.
By KurtFF8
This new book may be a good tool for this reading group as well. Although the online lectures may do the job too.
By Donna
I am interested in a four-way partitioned reading of Capital.
By Eauz
Sorry, guys. I'm far too busy with work and some personal study I am doing. I'll have to opt out of this reading, but do feel free to start up a thread, should the time arise.
By FallenRaptor
Actually, this seems like an interesting idea if we divide up Capital into these respective sessions. This way, it will be much slower paced (take a full year to get through Capital) but will surely attract more participation, especially from students.

I would be able to participate if we go with this. Count me in.
By Cookie Monster
What if each of the more experienced Marxist readers (Potemkin, Vera Politica, Eauz and ??) lead one seasonal reading session and make a programme of the chapters to be read?
By Zyx
Someone ought to do CWR's idea. I was at one point trudging through Capital.

Is the idea that each chapter's discussion follows the full reading of the chapter?
By Donna
Great idea, CWR.

I have just started reading Capital, but a discussion for every chapter would be incredibly helpful at this point.
By Cookie Monster
I like the idea, but it will be a very different experience from holding reading sessions.
By The Clockwork Rat
Zyx wrote:Is the idea that each chapter's discussion follows the full reading of the chapter?

Not sure. It could be that, but then if I get stuck after just a few words (for example, not that I will :hmm:) then it would be useful to have a thread to ask questions on.

On the other hand, we'd also perhaps want another thread to discuss the chapter once we'd finished it, that wasn't cluttered with all these questions.

How about two threads? Eg:

Capital - Chapter 1: General discussion
Capital - Chapter 1: End of chapter discussion

and so on
By Vera Politica
The problem, of course, is that there are 33 chapters in Capital plus the appendix. The only way we could do this properly is if we created another sub-forum partition (like "Marxist Analysis") and called it "Reading Capital" with only the moderator (Eauz) being able to create threads (not even sure if this is possible).
By Eauz
The problem, of course, is that there are 33 chapters in Capital plus the appendix. The only way we could do this properly is if we created another sub-forum partition (like "Marxist Analysis") and called it "Reading Capital" with only the moderator (Eauz) being able to create threads (not even sure if this is possible).
Although I probably won't have the time to participate, when I read about this idea of having a specific number of threads, I wondered if it was actually a bit of spam work, rather than usefulness to the forum. I'm not sure how much discussion you'll have for each chapter and then to add in that we'd have two parts to a chapter (66 threads) is really turning it into a spam job. I think if people are going to participate in this project, they start out in one thread (we'll make a new one) and go from there. Should there require extra discussion on a specific chapter (maybe it's longer or has more information), a thread can be created. In addition, having a plan so that people read the first chapter in 2 - 3 weeks and within that time limit, discussion is made. Should you miss out on a specific section to discuss, it's not like PoFo shuts down any posting of questions/comments in general, so it's possible to ask a question in another thread. Maybe have one thread devoted to chapter readings and questions and another thread for general questions and questions about previous chapters that might not have been answered within the time limit of the chapter given.

A new film has been released destroying the offic[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Since you keep insisting on pretending that the I[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]