Canada Crticized by UN for it's treatment of Minorities - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I find it inconceivable that the UN Human Rights Council singles out Canada for criticism while totally ignoring severe human rights abuses throughout Africa, Asia and the middle east (excluding their frequent criticism of Israel).

Minorities in Canada have freedom to worship or practice their faith openly and without restriction. People of all races get equal treatment by all government agencies. Adult education if offered free to people of all races and cultures. There is no evidence that there is any systematic racism practiced by any governmental body.

Why would the UN concern themselves with Canada when there is so much suffering as a result of racism elsewhere in the world? Canada is a beacon of freedom and diversity and should be held up as such, not derided for minor and unsubstantiated claims by those who themselves have a political agenda.

A recent survey found that 74% of Canadians would accept their children marrying someone outside their race. Only 14% opposed mixed marriages. Those who most frequently opposed mixed marriages were the minorities themselves. It is white, English speaking Canadians who were most accepting of mixed marriages. http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/03/15/13240306-qmi.html

To me, further proof of the Anti Western bent found in the UNHRC.
Original Document.
http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/docs/13session/A.HRC.13.23%20Add.2_en.pdf
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=2691221
Canada hit back yesterday over a United Nations "expert report" that criticizes how minorities are treated in the country, charging it contains inaccuracies, and also bases several findings on unsubstantiated claims.

The rebuke at the Geneva-based UN's Human Rights Council came just minutes after Gay McDougall, the UN's Independent Expert on Minority Issues, tabled the document at a session where Libya, China and Iran are expected to slip under the radar despite claims of serious persecution of minorities by those countries.

Ms. McDougall, who investigated Canada during a 10-day cross-country tour, told the council that "diversity is celebrated" in Canada--then painted a grim picture of discriminatory practices she said minorities feel they face.

Both her statement and the report charge that minorities in Canada are victims of disproportionate levels of poverty, workplace discrimination, and racial profiling by police. "Canada is undoubtedly a society open to and accepting of cultural, religious and linguistic differences," Ms. McDougall said. "However, many belonging to ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities ... feel their problems have not been adequately addressed."

According to the report, Canada needs to give minorities special help to get jobs, to become more politically active, to move out of poor areas and to cut their high-school drop-out rates. Canada should also ensure that Muslim and Arab communities don't feel they are "targeted" by counter-terrorism measures, the report says.

Canadian officials indicated yesterday that Canada particularly disagrees with Ms. McDougall's "content and analysis" of alleged racial profiling.

In one instance, the report draws conclusions from the findings of a single media report. "The report contains strong comments on racial profiling, without offering clear statistical evidence to support such observations," Alison Leclaire Christie, Canada's deputy permanent representative to the UN in Geneva, told the council.
By Stormsmith
I'm stunned.

Canada is widely held up as the model for the world for multicultural societies. We are the port of refuge for people seeking freedom, and have been since the days of American slavery. We don't always get it right, but we're miles ahead of the pack. Libya and I-bloody-ran indeed.
By Nets
Moynihan's Law, Jaycola.
By Kman
They are trying to make you ordinary canadians feel guilty, then its easier to make you do what these dimwits in the UN want you to do (like funding those leeches in the UN), it has very little to do with reality, minorities are well treated in Canada.
By Huntster
I find it inconceivable that the UN Human Rights Council singles out Canada for criticism while totally ignoring severe human rights abuses throughout Africa, Asia and the middle east (excluding their frequent criticism of Israel).

I'm stunned.

Canada is widely held up as the model for the world for multicultural societies.

Welcome to world politics, Pilgrims.
By emoshunless
Oh snap! getting a taste of the bs America has been getting crammed down our throats...

This as well is ridiculous... Canada is one of the best countries out there..

So what did the UN say about the "genocide-esk"
slaughterings that have been and are taking place in africa
for the last 10 or so years claiming over 6 million lives?

Guess they must be too busy telling white people how bad they are, to bother themselves with black slaughtering black issues....

We need to start the UCN, United Civil Nations and not allow these tyrranical nations to have such clout on world issues.
By QatzelOk
Guess they must be too busy telling white people how bad they are, to bother themselves with black slaughtering black issues....

This is the Everything Sucks defense of things that shouldn't be defended.

Canada is rich, so its minorities aren't slaughtering one another.

If you want to avoid eventual civil wars with nasty ethnicity-based gangs, you need to address the income and opportunity differential between the various communities.

If you don't, when the economy crashes, there will be social hell.
By Stormsmith
Kman wrote:They are trying to make you ordinary canadians feel guilty, then its easier to make you do what these dimwits in the UN want you to do

After the Rwanda debacle and Gen. Roméo Dallaire, I cannot help but think the last lot of scales fell from the most naive eyes in the country. hands on hips,snort,whistle-thru-nose.
By ThereBeDragons
HRC 13th Session, Report of the independent expert on minority issues, Mission to Canada wrote:Canada is a society open to and accepting of cultural, religious and linguistic differences, where minorities can express their identities, speak their languages and practise their faiths freely. Canada has an impressive constitutional and legislative framework in the area of equality and non-discrimination at the federal and provincial and territorial levels and numerous policy initiatives to promote multiculturalism.

That's at the top of the summary. The rest of it is about problems, but the UN reports doesn't write reports on what countries are doing right.

jaycola wrote:I find it inconceivable that the UN Human Rights Council singles out Canada for criticism while totally ignoring severe human rights abuses throughout Africa, Asia and the middle east (excluding their frequent criticism of Israel).

Fear not! In the thirteenth session of the Human Rights Council, they also wrote reports on, as I found here, the following countries (sometimes in multiples):

Eritrea, The Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Norway, Albania, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Portugal, Bhutan, Dominica, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Costa Rica, Equatorial Guinea, Ethopia, Maldives, United States, Serbia and Montenegro, Somalia, Georgia, Chad, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Guatemala, Bolivia, Sierra Leone, Malta, Senegal, Morocco (French only), Benin, Nicaragua, Brazil, Egypt, Uruguay, Macedonia, Laos, Syria (no link), Palestinian Territories (no link), Afghanistan, Israel (no link), and Nepal.

Your favorite country isn't on the list? No problem! They've got twelve more regular sessions, plus thirteen special sessions!

For example, in the twelfth session alone, we can add the Central African Republic, Monaco, Belize, Chile, New Zealand, Yemen, Vanuatu, Comores, Slovakia, Haiti, Latvia, Estonia, the Netherlands, Botswana, Panama, Peru, and Australia to the list of countries that the UN has written up.

By observing these lists, we can identify that of the countries reported on in the Human Rights Council meetings, the vast majority are Western countries, and vast places such as Africa, Asia, and South America are being totally ignored. This reveals a systematic and ultimately corrupting anti-Western bent in this foul, discredited anti-Western institution.
By ThereBeDragons
emoshunless wrote:So what did the UN say about the "genocide-esk" slaughterings that have been and are taking place in africa for the last 10 or so years claiming over 6 million lives?

Here is a list of documents from the United Nations pertaining to one particular conflict in one particular area of Africa, through March 2007, spanning two years of publications.

OHCHR, Report of the High-Level Mission on the Situation of Human Rights in Darfur Pursuant to Human Rights Council Decision S-4/101
OHCHR, Compilation of obligations and commitments by the Sudan on Darfur, 2007
OHCHR, Compilation of recommendations made to the Sudan on Darfur, 2007
OHCHR, Third Periodic report on the Human Rights Situation in Sudan, April 2006
OHCHR, Fourth Periodic Report on the Human Rights Situation in Sudan, July 2006
OHCHR, Sixth Periodic Report on the Human Rights Situation in Sudan, November 2006
OHCHR, Fifth Periodic Report on the Human Rights Situation in Sudan, October 2006
OHCHR, Report of the commission on Human Right on the situation of human rights in Darfur region of the Sudan, E/CN.4/2005/3, May 2004
OHCHR, Briefing Paper for the Human Rights Council special session on the human rights situation in Darfur, December 2006
OHCHR, Briefing note for the High Level Mission on the status of Darfur-specific recommendations made by UN Special Procedures, February 2007
United Nations, Monthly reports of the Secretary-General on Darfur (15 reports between April 2005 and February 2007)
United Nations, Monthly reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan (10 reports between April 2005 and February 2007)
United Nations, Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan pursuant to paragraphs 6, 13 and 16 of Security Council resolution 1556 (2004), paragraph 15 of resolution 1564 (2004) and paragraph 17 of resolution 1574 (2004) S/2005/10 (January 2005 to December 2006)
United Nations, Reports of the Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in the Sudan, E/CN.4/2006/111, January 2006 and A/61/469, September 2006
United Nations, Report of the Representative of the Secretary-General on the human rights of internally displaced persons - Mission to Sudan, E/CN.4/2006/71/Add.6, February 2006
United Nations, Letter from Mr. Juan E. Mendez, Special Adviser to the Secretary-General on the Prevention of Genocide addressed to the President of the Human Rights Council, A/HRC/S-4/3, December 2006 A/HRC/4/80
United Nations, Letter from Ms. Sima Samar, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Sudan, addressed to the President of the Human Rights Council, A/HRC/S-4/4, December 2006
United Nations, Report of the Secretary-General on Sudan, S/2005/579, September 2005
United Nations, Report of the Secretary-General on United Nations assistance to the African Union Mission in the Sudan S/2005/285, May 2005
Letter from Mr. Antonio Cassese, former Chairperson of the International Commission of Inquiry on Darfur addressed to the President of the Human Rights Council, 7 December 2006
United Nations, Report of the Secretary-General on children and armed conflict in the Sudan S/2006/662, August 2006
United Nations, Report of the Secretary-General on children and armed conflict in the Sudan, S/2006/665, August 2006
Report of the International Commission of Inquiry on Darfur to the United Nations Secretary-General, 25 January 2005
United Nations Security Council resolutions (1679/2006), 1706/2006, 1709/2006, 1713/2006, 1714/2006
United Nations, Reports of the Panel of Experts established pursuant to paragraph 3 of resolution 1591 (2005) concerning the Sudan, S/2006/65, January 2006, S/2006/250 of April 2006, and S/2006/795 of October 2006
Report of the Secretary-General on Chad and the Central African Republic (S/2006/1019), 2 December 2006)
UN Economic Commission for Africa, Causes and background to the conflict in Darfur Region - Background paper prepared for presentation to the Consultative Meeting of African Parliamentarians on Darfur
UNMIS Human Rights Section, Briefing paper to the HLM, February 2007
UNMIS Political Affairs Section, Briefing paper for the High Level Mission, February 2007
UNMIS Child Protection Unit, Note for HLM on children in Darfur, February 2007
OCHA, Geneva and field briefings to the High Level Mission to Darfur, February 2007
UNHCR, Geneva and field briefings to the High Level Mission to Darfur, February 2007 A/HRC/4/80
UNICEF, Geneva and field briefings for the High Level Mission to Darfur, February 2007
By The Sabbaticus
Ms. McDougall, who investigated Canada during a 10-day cross-country tour, told the council that "diversity is celebrated" in Canada--then painted a grim picture of discriminatory practices she said minorities feel they face.

The multicultural paradigm automatically designates minority groups into the role of victimized underdog. These 'feelings' are only natural, and will never be fully addressed, and why should they, honestly?

Feelings.
By Stormsmith
QatzelOk wrote:If you want to avoid eventual civil wars with nasty ethnicity-based gangs, you need to address the income and opportunity differential between the various communities.

If you don't, when the economy crashes, there will be social hell.

That would be tricky for us. Our American neighbours are able to look at demographics which include race etc. I've not once been asked to identifiy myself by race or religion or ancestrial roots. Just "For service in Englislh - press 1, for service in French press 2.

But I agree with your sentiment. Perhaps using the Gini coefficient would suffice.

ThereBeDragons Well done, you.
By Texpat
Shocking and shameful.

Hang your heads, Canada.

I'll not be visiting anytime soon.

Thanks for the head's-up, UN.
By Oxymoron
The UN (Unnessacary) has become a cesspool of anti Western Ideals. We should immediately defund it, and sell the building to developers.
By Oxymoron
Through out its embarrassing history I dont think you can find anything that I agree with them on.
By Nets
Oxy wrote:Through out its embarrassing history I dont think you can find anything that I agree with them on.

What about the creation of the Jewish state?
By Oxymoron
The creation of the Jewish state would have taken place with or without the UN. It was more of a Superpowers decision then a UN one (Both Stalin and the British supported this idea.) The UN should be turned into Condos.
By Nets
I disagree. While of no practical importance, the UN decision gave important backing in international law.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Well, the package was passed by the House so I gue[…]

I already said its origins are in Iran. So unsur[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O