O'Reilly foots bill of plaintiff in Westboro Church court... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
O'Reilly foots bill of plaintiff in Westboro Church court case

Source

It's easy to typecast Bill O'Reilly as a conservative sloganeer in the culture wars. Indeed, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, the self-appointed nemesis of the top-rated Fox News commentator, has made the better part of a career out of just such typecasting. But according to a recent report on the conservative website Newsmax, O'Reilly has interceded to assist a lawsuit targeting one of the most extreme organizations on the right flank of the culture wars — the Westboro Baptist Church.

The Westboro church has gained infamy by organizing protests at the funerals of fallen soldiers, contending that God delights in such tragic losses because of excessive toleration of homosexuality in the United States. (One of the tamer slogans that church members trumpet at these occasions is "Thank God for Dead Soldiers.")

But the father of one such soldier, Albert Snyder — whose son, a Marine lance corporal named Matthew A. Snyder, died in 2006 in Iraq's Anbar province in a non-combat-related accident — resolved to make the church pay for its conduct. After Westboro demonstrators turned out in force at his son's funeral, Snyder brought a federal suit against the Kansas-based church's lead pastor, Fred Phelps, for invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress. A jury initially found in Snyder's favor, and assessed $10 million in damages. (A trial judge later reduced that amount to $5 million.)

However, when Westboro's attorney's challenged the ruling in the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, the judgment was overturned; the judge in the case granted that the Westboro group's action was "distasteful" but was nonetheless protected by the First Amendment.

The court also ordered Snyder to foot $16,500 in legal expenses that Westboro incurred during the court challenges. O'Reilly had previously interviewed Snyder about the case, and in Tuesday's edition of his show, "The O'Reilly Factor," the cable host announced that he would gladly pay Snyder's debt. "I am not going to let this injustice stand," O'Reilly declared. "It's obvious [the Westboro protesters] were disturbing the peace by disrupting the funeral. They should have been arrested, but our system is so screwed up ... that the loons are allowed to run wild."

The help comes for Snyder at a critical time — the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear his challenge to the 4th Circuit ruling in its fall 2011 term, so he'll be racking up legal fees for some time to come.

— Chris Lehmann is managing editor of the Yahoo! News blog.

Oh O'Reilly. His hypocrisy once again shines through. It's interesting to see how the "far right," Fox News, and the GOP's official strategy are working in concert. (I'm not claiming here that it's some sort of grand conspiracy of the three, but it's by no accident that the Tea Party movement, Glenn Beck, and the GOP are all looking out for the same interests: profits of major companies)
Last edited by KurtFF8 on 31 Mar 2010 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
By Todd D.
What are you talking about? What hypocrisy? What "profits of major companies"?
By Nets
Good for O'Reilly. I am not sure what the issue is, Kurt.
By Wolfman
I don't quite get how this has anything to do with profits, but whatever. WBC is a Far Right organization, but it's more Conservative then it is Right Wing, which is how they justify themselves. And on the flip side, O'Reilly is Conservative, and Right Wing. But, he is more Right Wing then he is Conservative, which is how he justifies funding a court case against a Right Wing Conservative Church.

It's all pretty simple, really.
By Rei Murasame
Wow, this might be the first time O'Reilly's ever done anything good.

Very nice of him, I'm a bit surprised.
By Potemkin
O'Reilly being nice to somebody...?

I no longer recognise the world I live in. :eek:
By emoshunless
Potemkin wrote:O'Reilly being nice to somebody...?

I no longer recognise the world I live in. :eek:

:eek:

What in the hell is going on in here??!

Conservatives are human too?

The other side is admitting it?

This just doesn't feel right...
:eh:

I'm going to leave the room and come back in..

I expect to see at least 3 comments from the other side with claims of horrible intentions behind it.
And 5 from dan the man talking about the "founding fathers"
By Infidelis
Well done.

Bill O'Reilly, I disagree with 85.72% of the time (yep, that's an actual figure), but is the only Conservative talking head I like to listen to, to get an opinion from "the other side." He's a knucklehead sometimes, but has his moments as a class act. Glad to see it.

What's this corporate spin, involving Beck and tea baggers?
By Stormsmith
As Blackadder said of himself, "....a complicated man. Part nice, and part nasty."

Credit when its due, Good for O'Reilly.
By KurtFF8
Ah, I misread the article and thought O'Reilly was helping the church, silly me. That makes my comment irrelevant to this particular story (although relevant to other examples, like Glenn Beck)
By emoshunless
we all make mistake man, If I was you I would have just said april fools!
By KurtFF8
Eh I posted it in March, I don't think I would have gotten away with it ;)
By nic4747
Bill O'Reilly, I disagree with 85.72% of the time (yep, that's an actual figure), but is the only Conservative talking head I like to listen to, to get an opinion from "the other side." He's a knucklehead sometimes, but has his moments as a class act. Glad to see it.

I agree, O'Reilly at least makes an attempt to get the other side of the story before he cuts off their mic (haha). I can't stand Hannity, he just says the same stupid thing over and over, and Beck is on too early for me to watch it, so I don't know much about him.
By politburo player
The OP is clearly stuck in a delusional world where profits are the downfall of mankind. Without profit incentive, there would be no computer for these people to type on.
By the_k
pretty smart move from O'Reilly. Think of all the good press (and potentially money) this will generate. The guy is a millionaire, a few thousand wouldn't make a difference to him.
By emoshunless
the_k wrote:pretty smart move from O'Reilly. Think of all the good press (and potentially money) this will generate. The guy is a millionaire, a few thousand wouldn't make a difference to him.

Oh my gawd! How dare you suggest greed resulted in goodness!
We all know and have been over this time after time.
Greed only causes death, poverty, and war!

Right guys!? let's get him.

We'll show you for suggesting its
equally beneficial for bourgeoisie
to be good to the people if not more
Because it actually made a bunch of people here look at him a little differently!

Who's with me!?
By Stormsmith
ahem

This snippet of largess hasn't altered my opinion of O'Reilly. He has from time to time done things or expressed an opinion I feel has merit.

He does it to be annoying. :lol:
By KurtFF8
The OP is clearly stuck in a delusional world where profits are the downfall of mankind. Without profit incentive, there would be no computer for these people to type on.

I also drive a car, which was invented by private capital! dun dun dun!!! (Actually computer development had much more to do with the State and security than the profit motive)
By Lightman
Good for O'Reilly.

I disagree with calling the Westboro abomination far right, though, as they do not actually advocate real political goals.

Nobody is going to kill 100,000 children. C[…]

@Rugoz Why does wanting America taken down a […]

The cities and schools moving to arrest the protes[…]

@FiveofSwords About 12 different genes control[…]