Europol: 99.6% European terror attacks not by muslims - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
In the 2006-2008 period. And the figures are flauntingly obvious in other periods and regions as well.

Islamophobes have been popularizing the claim that “not all Muslims are terrorists, but (nearly) all terrorists are Muslims.” Despite this idea becoming axiomatic in some circles, it is quite simply not factual. In my previous article entitled “All Terrorists are Muslims…Except the 94% that Aren’t”, I used official FBI records to show that only 6% of terrorist attacks on U.S. soil from 1980 to 2005 were carried out by Islamic extremists. The remaining 94% were from other groups (42% from Latinos, 24% from extreme left wing groups, 7% from extremist Jews, 5% from communists, and 16% from all other groups).

But what about across the pond? The data gathered by Europol strengthens my argument even further. (hat tip: Koppe) Europol publishes an annual report entitled EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report. On their official website, you can access the reports from 2007, 2008, and 2009. (If anyone can find the reports from earlier than that, please let me know so we can include those as well.)

The results are stark, and prove decisively that not all terrorists are Muslims. In fact, a whopping 99.6% of terrorist attacks in Europe were by non-Muslim groups; a good 84.8% of attacks were from separatist groups completely unrelated to Islam. Leftist groups accounted for over sixteen times as much terrorism as radical Islamic groups. Only a measly 0.4% of terrorist attacks from 2007 to 2009 could be attributed to extremist Muslims.

Here are the official tables provided in the reports…

Follow link for tables: http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/terrorism-in-europe/

I have always known that the enemy that goes with the 'war on terror' was a potent fabrication, but this sort of drills it into your head with concise statistics.

It's time to educate the public and stiffle the rise of fascism sweeping the western world. Ignorance fueled by fear gives these right wingers the impetus to continue their campaigns of terror, it's time to fight the real terror.
By Ter
This is one of the most misleading threads I have ever seen on PoFo.

The data from Europol got filtered and manipulated by the militant website "loonwatch"

If one goes to the original Europol web site, the picture is totally different.

I just downloaded one of the big PDF file Year Reports and see, almost on the first page of the 2009 Report:

During 2008, 359 individuals were tried on terrorism
charges in the member states in a total of
187 proceedings. Of 384 verdicts which were
pronounced in 2008, 50 percent were related to
Islamist terrorism, and 39 percent to separatist
terrorism.

Islamist terrorism is still perceived as being the
biggest threat worldwide, despite the fact that
the EU only faced one Islamist terrorist attack in
2008.This bomb attack took place in the UK.The
number of arrests relating to Islamist terrorism
gives an indication of the amount of law
enforcement activities. The number of persons
associated with ‘home-grown’ Islamist terrorist
groups is rising in the EU. The threat emanating
from Islamist terrorism inside the EU is linked, to
a certain extent, to the developments in conflict
zones and politically instable countries, such as
North Africa, the Sahel region, Iraq, Somalia,
Yemen, Afghanistan, Pakistan, but also India.
Afghanistan and Pakistan seem to have replaced
Iraq as preferred destinations for volunteers
wishing to engage in armed conflict. EU–based
suspects continue providing logistical support
to Islamist terrorist groups and networks based
outside the EU.

The separatist terrorism is centered around France and especially Spain; this distorts the picture for the EU.

Somehow, Igor is the defender of Islamic terrorism and is now trying to prove that it is insignificant compared to other forms of terrorism.
It is very easy to manipulate facts and figures by emphasising or obfuscating certain variables.
Like comparing one terrorist event with 30 casualties with ten events wit only one casualty in total.

This looks like what loonwatch does. get some figures, publish some and keep quiet about others.
To counter-debate loonwatch would need hours of studying the original publications but it is obvious that loonwatch and Igor are full of it.

Ter
By GandalfTheGrey
Whats relevant - but which was completely ignored - is casualties per attack. I remember seeing a similar report about attacks in the US, but it turned out that though the number of islamic attacks were in the minority, they were number one at causing the most casualties. I think that is very relevant since many (most?) attacks by separatists and others very purposely ensure there will be 0 casualties, whereas islamic terrorists specifically set out to murder as many people as possible.
By Igor Antunov
You just presented your piece-meal take on the data. No different. But the broader figures cannot lie.

and is now trying to prove that it is insignificant compared to other forms of terrorism.

Trying? More like proving without question. You cannot deny that muslims commit a negligible number of terror attacks in the western world, and this has been the case since they started tracking these various groups.

As for casualties of terrorism, across all groups, as a total? Negligible. More people die from sun stroke every year. Islamic Terrorism is a big fat sensationalist piece used to justify the killing (can i call it murder too) of hundreds of thousands in the name of..what?
By Ter
Igor Antunov wrote: But the broader figures cannot lie.

Of course they can lie. there's lies, there's lies, and then there are statistics.

Igor Antunov wrote:Trying? More like proving without question.

The only thing it proves is that Loonwatch is a militant outfit and has no credibility whatsoever.
Manipulation of data.

Igor Antunov wrote:More people die from sun stroke every year.

This is totally irrelevant and you know it.
How many people died choking on their food ?
Does that excuse Islamist terrorists shit blowing up innocent civilians in train stations ?
You are a terrorist appeaser, Igor.

Ter
By Swinging Man
Ter wrote:

This is totally irrelevant and you know it.
How many people died choking on their food ?
Does that excuse Islamist terrorists shit blowing up innocent civilians in train stations ?

Ter

Oh look, you add nothing to other threads but to attack other people. At least your consistent.

Good post Igor. Although I don't agree with you on other things with this one I do. I actually read something today in USAToday: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/201 ... 1_ST_N.htm

(ps, I have no idea why the words are so spaced apart)

Traffic accidents kill more people than terrorists do.

It's a shame that people need to drum up fake fear to support their hate towards a certain group of people. You think we'd be past that by now.

Ter
Last edited by Swinging Man on 22 Oct 2010 05:27, edited 3 times in total.
By Igor Antunov

No, I'm just not a little scaredy cat scared into hate and fearful conformity by my lying government.

If you really though islamic terrorism was a major threat to humanity, if you really wanted to defeat islamic extremism, you wouldn't be breeding terrorists in the middle east right now. But you are, and you're even doing it on home turf.

I suspect your ultimate goals aren't to defeat terrorism, but to defeat Islam as a religion. And this is what many muslims suspect, so they turn defensive.

I'm just here, a voice of 3rd party reason, trying to show both sides it's a big fat farce.
By BassHole
If you really though islamic terrorism was a major threat to humanity

I wonder where we got that idea?

New York, 2001:

Madrid, 2004:

London, 2005:

Israel, 2008:

An example of what the "defensive" forces of militant Islam/ "resistance" fighters like to do: do you reckon this kid has a clue what a Danish newspaper printed about his parents' religion?

And of course, these guys are only concerned about their "brothers" in the Middle East, right?

Don't pretend it's all the big bad West, Igor. Islamic terrorism is a very real threat.
By Zagadka
Don't pretend it's all the big bad West, Igor. Islamic terrorism is a very real threat.

And the big irony is that we respond to people accusing us of ruling the world and repressing them by invading them and overthrowing their governments, and not allowing them to build any cultural centers.

Both sides are morons.
By Otebo
I'm just here, a voice of 3rd party reason,

You are anything but a voice of reason Mr Antunov. You are an apologist for dictatorship, an unthinking opponent of every action taken by the West, an Islamist sympathiser and yes, a "terrorist appeaser".

Don't try to portray yourself as a neutral 3rd party observer. On every issue raised on this forum your knee-jerk reaction is to side with enemies of the West - be they terrorists or tyrants, Ayatollahs or Stalinist dictators.

A supporter of Ahmadinejad lecturing people on fascism would be laughable weren't this thread so offensive. Trying to dismiss Islamic terrorism as a "sensationalist" "fabrication" is an insult to the thousands upon thousands of victims who have been killed and maimed.

It is possible to be an opponent of both the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and Islamic extremism at the same time. Unfortunately you are unable to strike that balance. You place yourself squarely in the camp of the reactionary forces of violent Islam time and time again. This thread is just another part of your tired agenda, an attempt to portray the West as the root of all evil and quite frankly it is something of a scratched record.
By BassHole
And the big irony is that we respond to people accusing us of ruling the world and repressing them by invading them and overthrowing their governments, and not allowing them to build any cultural centers.

I never said the West is blameless. If the USA would stop overthrowing every government under the sun, we would be in less of a mess. But that doesn't change the fact that the motives of suicide bombers are not entirely about "resistance". What had India done to deserve the assault upon Mumbai by Islamist terrorists in 2008? Why do so many Sunnis insist on blowing up Shi'a mosques in Iraq, for example? Was it Shi'a Muslims invading countries and overthrowing governments?

But Igor, as usual, is insisting it's all our fault. And, of course, that the "freedom fighters" who like to turn children with Down's syndrome into suicide bombers are innocent.

:roll:

Otebo, I am finding myself agreeing with you more and more these days. What is going on? :D
By Nattering Nabob
In related news...99.9% of Islamic deaths are not attributed to westerners...

I'm glad we cleared this up...
By Mike Powell

And so to other religion fundamentalism/extremism as well. What happen if one day let say, Christian fundamentalists (sorry folks) has attacked more people than their Muslim counterpart. What will we say? And what will the West herself judge the situation? And what happen say, the Basque separatists/terrorists has blasted Madrid in the most horrible way as possible. What will we say for that again?

Terrorism is a kind of idea that's very complex yet difficult to solve as long we human being got violent behavior, no matter how little it'll be. Therefore, everyone is a potential terrorists, whether it's you or I.
By danholo
Do these stats include attempted attacks, if there are any? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of terrorist incidents against Israelis that have been thwarted by Israeli forces. Since Israeli security is so efficient, the number of successful terror attacks is low, then people go to say "how little attacks there are" while "Israeli forces are destructive" i.e. there's lies, damned lies and statistics.
By JohnRawls
Igor that is some dishonesty from your side.

The Pdf is from 1980-2005 so it can't describe modern situation fairly , which you are trying to do. If you go dirrectly to the Europol website you will see , that MODERN SITUATION is very problematic because of islamist extremists , which take the leading percentage in modern terrorist activities. They even overshadow all of European extremists groups taken together ( Eta , Basq rebels , Left/right wing loonies etc )

To the people who try to say 'Car accidents kill more people than terrorism'....

Trafic accidents are unintentional mistakes of people. Government can't fight them effectively beyond a campaighn 'be careful on the roads'. On the other hand , terrorism is totally intentional and the governments do all they can to fight terrorism , hence there are so few terrorist related accidents in general. The whole point of many accidents justifying terrorism is stange. The same i could say about age....
There are more deaths related to age compared to those related to terrorism, so what ? Does that mean that we should stop caring about intentional terrorism and start worrying about something that is not under our control mostly ?

Also the whole point of government is to protect its people against intnentional harmful actions of individuals inside and outside of their country and this is what they are doing.

P.S. Looking a bit closly at the data , it seems tampered in my opinion a bit also. Or has some methodologic dishonesty.
By Pants-of-dog
Ter wrote:This is one of the most misleading threads I have ever seen on PoFo.

To counter-debate loonwatch would need hours of studying the original publications but it is obvious that loonwatch and Igor are full of it.

Your numbers discuss sentencing for crimes while Igor,s seem to look at attacks. It is possible that while Islamic terrrorists are only responsible for 0.4% of attacks, they also account for 50% of the people sentenced simply because the police are focusing on the Muslims.

JohnRawls wrote:The Pdf is from 1980-2005 so it can't describe modern situation fairly , which you are trying to do. If you go dirrectly to the Europol website you will see , that MODERN SITUATION is very problematic because of islamist extremists , which take the leading percentage in modern terrorist activities. They even overshadow all of European extremists groups taken together ( Eta , Basq rebels , Left/right wing loonies etc )

I am not sure which PDF you are referring to, but the Europol pdfs (2007, 2008, 2009) seem to corroborate the OP's claims.

From page 14/55 of the 2007 PDF:

From page 12/54 of the 2008 PDF:

From page 14/56 of the 2009 PDF:

By JohnRawls
I am sorry , i was a bit mistaken about the data being tampered but after reading the pdf i know why.

1st thing is that data is succesful attacks that you list. 2nd number of people arrested for islamst terrorism in europe is around 25% for islamist and 73% for separatist terrorism and convictions are around 30-68% between those two accordin to the pdf.(Gotta give credit to basque spanish terrorist only 8% of attacks are against individuals , the rest are against government/business mostly) Also Islaimist terrorist tend to attack civilians only and try to produce Mass murder while separatists mostly target infrastructre/government/business and only 20% of separatist attacks are against civiliains.

Also Igor totally ignored this important part (Dishonestly ) :

Key findings• In spite of the fact that only one attack was committed
in the EU, Islamist terrorists still aim to
cause mass casualties, as demonstrated by the attempt
to create an explosion on a fl ight between
Amsterdam and Detroit in December 2009.
• Islamist terrorism is often facilitated through
transnational contacts between individuals residing
in many EU Member States and other
parts of the world.
• Self-radicalised individuals may, if undetected,
become serious security risks.
• EU nationals travelling to confl ict areas or attending
terrorist training camps may pose a serious
threat to the security situation in Member
States on their return.
• The security situation in the EU with regards to
Islamist terrorism is infl uenced by political developments
in countries and areas outside the
EU that include Iraq, Afghanistan, the Afghanistan/
Pakistan border area, Somalia and Yemen.
• Islamist propaganda is attempting to infl uence
Member States’ policies, including the outcome
of general elections in EU countries.

Also among trends(Seems things are geting better in general but in case of islamist terrorism it is getting worse , the ammount of terrorist attacks has fallen in general by the way since 2007) :

3. Islamist terrorist groups are still aiming
to cause mass casualties.
The attempted attack on an American airliner
in December 2009 is proof of the intent and
capability of Islamist terrorists to stage terrorist
attacks with potentially large numbers of
casualties.

4. The EU is being used as a platform to
prepare and initiate terrorist attacks
elsewhere in the world.
The attack on the American airliner in December
2009 was preceded by other instances of
using aircraft fl ying from the EU to the USA.
These include: the attack on Pan Am fl ight 103
in December 1988, which crashed above the
Scottish village of Lockerbie; the attempted
attack on American Airlines fl ight 63 by the socalled
‘shoe bomber’ on 22 December 2001;
and the 2006 plot to blow up an aircraft travelling
from the UK to the USA. Furthermore, a
number of Member States are reporting the
activities of individuals supporting terrorist
groups that are operating outside of the EU.
5. Islamist terrorist activities are increasingly
being perpetrated by self-radicalised
and often self-instructed individuals,
acting alone instead of in groups.
As mentioned in Member States’ contributions,
this development is facilitated by the
availability of instruction manuals, eff ective
propaganda and recruitment materials on the
internet.
6. Weak states with ungoverned spaces,
large Muslim populations, economic
problems and social grievances can be
breeding grounds for Islamist terrorism.
Somalia and Yemen are examples of countries
that match this profi le and are now facing an
issue with Islamist terrorism which is further
destabilising these countries. Other countries
matching that profi le could have similar problems
in the future, presenting an increased
risk to Western interests.
Nationals of EU Member States and other
Western countries risk being targeted in Muslim
countries that have a signifi cant presence
of Islamist terrorist groups. Islamist terrorists
are kidnapping tourists and other visitors from
non-Muslim countries to fi nance their activities
and achieve notoriety.

8. Western converts are increasingly being
used by Islamist terrorist groups for
propaganda and recruitment purposes.
Native speakers have appeared in videos produced
by terrorist organisations and disseminated
on the internet, broadcasting messages
to potential recruits in EU Member States in
their own language.
By godshumbleson
This is another attempt for everyone to be all luvvie duvvie with each other and for the victims of 9/11 and 7/7 to forget what happened, but it wont work.
An old saying but one that has a lot of merit 'not all Muslims are terrorist, but all terrorist are Muslim'.
By QatzelOk
Islamist terrorists still aim to cause mass casualties

They like killing massive numbers of people (3,000 and less) because they know it discredits their cause, and gives the massive militaries of the countries they target an excuse to invade their nations of origin and steal their resources.

Islamic terrorists have enriched Western oil companies and military suppliers exponentially.
By Ter
QatzelOk wrote:They like killing massive numbers of people (3,000 and less)

Well, three thousand is a decent number, don't you think ?
If they could, they would kill a hundred thousand also, and sleep without any problem the next night.
It's all for the good cause.

But when the drones fly silently and harvest the bad people, you (and Igor) cry "Oy vey, Gevalt !" or some equivalent of that.

Ter

Oh please post those too :lol: Very obvious p[…]

No, it does not. It is governed by the rather vagu[…]

Go tell this to all states that have establishe[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we[…]