Why the Seals? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Repeat to Fade
Simple question really. America has two tier one special forces units, navy seal team 6 and delta force. The seals were used for the mission to kill Bin Laden. Now the navy seals as the name suggests are part of the navy and delta force are part of America's ground forces. OBL was nowhere near a sea, ocean or body of water, but the Navy seals were used.

Does anyone know why they would be selected for a ground mission over delta force?
By ThomasNewton
To be quite frank this is the kind of thing the SEALS are trained to do. Read about them here. Why wouldn't they be chosen to do a kind of job that's the primary reason for their existence in the first place? You said in your opening post you're judging this "from the name" which is not only a terrible way to judge anything but also highly inaccurate, SEALS stands for "SEa, Air and Land (SEAL) Teams."

I hope you're not going to claim this mission didn't involve sea, air or land. :lol:
By Repeat to Fade
which is not only a terrible way to judge anything but also highly inaccurate, SEALS stands for "SEa, Air and Land (SEAL) Teams."

Actually it was more to do with the word "navy" before the seal part that suggests a kind of naval nature.

The targeting of inland high profile targets has in the past been what delta force did. Saddam, his sons, Zarqawi, attempts on Mullah Omar, Gothic Serpent and Escobar.
By U184
I was a CQC Instructor for the Teams for a few years, there are several of them and any could have been used, not just Team 6. The reasons go to logistics, specialties of given members, who was given the orders and many other parameters. In general the Teams are the go to guys of the USA, so really there is no reason to ask "why".
Last edited by U184 on 05 May 2011 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
By OReally Factor
Delta Force deploys and attacks, the SEAL teams drop in in the night, hit the target, and get out.

Delta was dropping in, hitting targets and getting out throughout the Iraq War and they probably still are.
By GandalfTheGrey
Wasn't delta force involved in the assault on tora bora in 2001? Seems only fair then that they give the other guys a turn this time.
By sazerac
Osama or Usama Bin Laden was not killed. He was frightened to death and then dumped in the ocean. All the fish thought it was a big whale turd.
By U184
I would say the large percentile chance is OBL is alive, and in a small dark place with bright lights, being asked question after question and will be for some time to come.
By Ombrageux
The chairman of the joint chiefs is an admiral.
By Rich
KFlint wrote:I would say the large percentile chance is OBL is alive, and in a small dark place with bright lights, being asked question after question and will be for some time to come.

And what would be the purpose of that? To find out who his ISI handler was?
By Lokakyy
RtF wrote:OBL was nowhere near a sea, ocean or body of water, but the Navy seals were used.

I'm under impression that Navy SEALs have been doing a lot of operations in Afghanistan, which isn't exactly a country surrounded by sea.

Does anyone know why they would be selected for a ground mission over delta force?

My guess is that the SEALs were logistically an easier solution, something which we of course will never know.
By Oxymoron
Flint you havent been around, did you participate in the raid?
By U184
Had I been, I could not confirm nor deny, so what is the point of asking? In general I would remind you that I am retired from that aspect of my life.

I have been busy of late doing paperwork for the Senate, when they ask..boy you better jump to.

How are things going for you?
By OReally Factor
Wasn't delta force involved in the assault on tora bora in 2001? Seems only fair then that they give the other guys a turn this time.

I'm not sure which American forces were involved in Tora Bora but it's pretty much accepted that the SBS had bin Ladin moreorless within their grasp around Tora Bora in 2001 but were told to stand to because the Americans wanted him for themselves. By the time the U.S. guys had turned up...

I'm under impression that Navy SEALs have been doing a lot of operations in Afghanistan...

As they did in Iraq. They are capable of doing exactly the same job as Delta Force, just as the SBS are supposedly capable of doing the same job as the SAS.
By sazerac
I have been busy of late doing paperwork for the Senate, when they ask..boy you better jump to.
Sounds very important my new nephew is Senator Rockefeller's personal assistant and driver.

Chris?

My niece was his tutor in collage. Tutor to the jocks. She asked him why he even needed her and he said he got a B once.

Is my niece's husband famous? My rehab therapist knew the story of the dude who had to choose between Rhodes Scholar and NFL kicker? She and her dad talked about it. I've never met him because it hasn't been possible yet. She was disappointed I was in a hospital bed for the wedding.

As I understand it his new goal is to be president. My dad has no doubt. I need to give him charisma lessons. Southern him up a bit.

Is my niece just a pawn in his scheme to become president? Come on, a wife who teaches gifted inner city kids? He better be tying her shoe laces for her.
By U184
Naw, not very important, there are 1000's of people who do what I do.

It sounds like your nephew and niece might be going places though.
By Zagadka
My dad says "because they are the best"... but I think my dad is biased serving in the Navy. At least Navy aren't as annoying as Marines, most of those guys are assholes.
By U184
They are all the best. Any group of 5 to 7 people who can go in, change Governments and accomplish what entire armies of politicians or soldiers could not, are all the fucking best... regardless of the branch.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]