Torture - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Godstud
Revenge is not justice.

Perhaps protecting your property with lights, fencing, and cameras might help, or actually speaking to the lawful authorities about your legal options would be a better solution than your potentially illegal action of "shooting the fucker".

Each state, with the exception of North Carolina, permits citizen arrests if the commission of a felony is witnessed by the arresting citizen, or when a citizen is asked to assist in the apprehension of a suspect by police. The application of state laws varies widely with respect to misdemeanors, breaches of the peace, and felonies not witnessed by the arresting party. For example, Arizona law allows a citizen's arrest if the arrestor has personally witnessed the offense occurring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen%27 ... ted_States

In Canada we have this:
Section 494. (Criminal Code)
(2) ARREST BY OWNER, ETC., OF PROPERTY

Anyone who is

(a) the owner or a person in lawful possession of property, or

(b) a person authorized by the owner or by a person in lawful possession of property

may arrest without warrant a person whom he finds committing a criminal offence on or in relation to that property.

You have options, but if you decide not to use them, that's not Anarcho-Tyranny.
By Murph
^Most of that shit I can't afford and going to the authorities (even if they were capable of catching petty thieves) would just invite more tyranny in the form of zoning violations. No thanks.

Anarcho-Tyranny.

Sigh, I'll probably end up shooting some low-life in the back and get life in prison. Why? Because i just want to work hard and keep the things I earn, and not be forced to break my back just so some crack head can score some quick cash.

I already know how this ends. Decades from now, when these insane policies have devoured every last productive member of society, some more powerful civilization will come along and lay waste to the entire country. Then things go back to normal and the cycle of civilisation continues.
By Godstud
Slimharpo wrote:Most of that shit I can't afford and going to the authorities (even if they were capable of catching petty thieves) would just invite more tyranny in the form of zoning violations. No thanks.
You're only making up excuses.

You are ignoring your legal options because they may be inconvenient, then calling it Anarcho-Tyranny? :lol:

slimharpo wrote:Sigh, I'll probably end up shooting some low-life in the back and get life in prison. Why? Because i just want to work hard and keep the things I earn, and not be forced to break my back just so some crack head can score some quick cash.
No... IF you do it, it'll be because you're too lazy, or stupid, not to take the proper course of action.

slimharpo wrote:I already know how this ends. Decades from now, when these insane policies have devoured every last productive member of society, some more powerful civilization will come along and lay waste to the entire country. Then things go back to normal and the cycle of civilisation continues.
:roll: Cute rant.
By mikema63
i dont care if you shoot him, we weren't even talking about shooting or property rights, we were talking about torture which cant be considered defensive. by all means set pitfall traps if you wish and i wont have any problems, but if its revenge or torture you still cant do it because you would be infringing on his rights.
By Murph
Give me a friggon break Godstud! Just admit you want to coddle criminals and give them free reign to terrorize people (as long as it's not you).

Atleast mike is starting to make more sense 8)
By Godstud
Coddle criminals? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've obviously never seen my posts on criminal justice. My idea of what the prison system should be, is quite the opposite of 'coddling'(i.e. Forced labour, no visitation, no drugs, no sex, no computers, no TV, etc.)

Incidentally, it's illegal to set traps. Why not get a big angry dog?
By xsited1
slimharpo wrote:I think criminals should be tortured.

Enough is enough.

What do you think?

There was a thread about the death penalty where some said what was tantamount to 'give them life in prison because they'll be tortured by the general prison population'.
By mikema63
how is a big angry dog that would probably bite someone not a trap? you can defend your property anyway you like, as long as it doesn't go beyond defense.
By Godstud
A big angry dog that might bite someone is not considered a "trap", because the dog normally warns a person away with barking, growls, etc. You must, of course, put up proper signage for this to apply. Sometimes a yappy little dog is better.

Actually, you cannot defend your property in "any way you like", mikema63. Booby trapping your property is a felony(in the US and Canada). It's essentially premeditated assault.

You could, however, set up something that doesn't actually injure the trespassers, such as lights, noise-makers, etc. Most people don't like to enter a well-lit area at night, and even a sign indicating video surveillance can be enough to dissuade some trespassers.

Xsited1 wrote:There was a thread about the death penalty where some said what was tantamount to 'give them life in prison because they'll be tortured by the general prison population'.
That was probably someone trying to make the people who wanted criminals to suffer, happy.
By mikema63
i wasn't saying you could i was saying you should be able to, i wasn't commenting on the legality of it. if you put something in your property its your business, if its an electrified window that shocks anyone who tries to open it from the outside or a light doesn't really make any diffrence.
By Godstud
An electrified window delivering a mild shock is OK, IF it doesn't physically harm the intruder.

Should you be allowed to set traps for intruders? Yes, with limitations.
By Murph
This is bullshit. Some ass-hole intruding on my property with the intent of stealing something is a threat to my life, and I should be able to deal with it anyway I choose.
By Godstud
Unless you can prove that the person is actually threatening your life, you cannot deal with it in any way you choose. Theft is not a threat to your life. :roll:

If all else fails, do what the cops do: Shoot him and plant a gun. ;)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We produce large amount of drones and other robot[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the White[…]

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (worl[…]