Free abortion/contraception? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Which poll option reflects your view (everything that's free is paid for by the state)

Women should get free abortions and free birth control drugs even during a deficit.
57%
Women should get free abortions and free birth control drugs within a balanced budget.
7%
Women should get free abortion only if under the age.
No votes
0%
Women should never get free abortion and free birth control drugs even if the state has the available funds.
11%
Other (please elaborate)
25%
I think women should get both free within a balanced budget. Reason: Population control and it won't really cost all that much.
Free abortions, yes. Abortion over here is funded by Medicare. We have to buy our own birth control, but I think that should be free as well.
Arkady2009 wrote:Free abortions, yes. Abortion over here is funded by Medicare. We have to buy our own birth control, but I think that should be free as well.

Exactly. Handing out free condoms would probably save money in the long run in terms of medicare.
Other: Hand out free condoms, provide subsidized abortions for people in or below a certain income bracket. Continue these programs regardless of whether the budget is in deficit or in surplus.
Free birth control. No state funds going to abortion, ever.
Other: Free birth control always. Free abortion under certain conditions (life of the mother is at risk, rape/incest baby, baby will be born without a brain, profoundly mentally retarded, etc), and abortion (except for the conditions that would get a free abortion) legal prior to the 22nd week.
Here's a thought. Women taking control and responsibility of their lives and sexual health by making correct choices. And that includes parents educating their children at home and not leaving it haphazardly to the schooling system.

Don't have unprotected sex if you can't risk falling pregnant.

Simple.

This has nothing to do with morality or promiscuity or any other emotive label people are going to want to tinge the argument with.
This has to do with respecting the fact that as a species we procreate by having sex. 
Its quite a significant event and deserves due respect. 

Free birth control in itself will not fix the stupidity going on at the moment...if only it were that simple. But if people think its a good policy to have free contraception, go for it.

Abortion should not be subsidized by the tax payer. Except for women who have been raped or whose health is in jeopardy and cannot afford the procedure.
But promoting abortions as a form of birth control is a callous and lazy call by the human race. 
Nets wrote:Free birth control. No state funds going to abortion, ever.

I would prefer state funds going toward abortions, than to have state funds go toward raising an unwanted child for 18 years and then supporting it afterward when it can't get a job.
I would prefer state funds going toward abortions, than to have state funds go toward raising an unwanted child for 18 years and then supporting it afterward when it can't get a job.

As would I. It's certainly much more cost-effective.
Last edited by J Oswald on 19 Feb 2012 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
ness31 wrote:Abortion should not be subsidized by the tax payer. Except for women who have been raped

Then you have every woman claiming she has been raped, and how do you determine who is telling the truth?
If one has been raped, then it should be reported to the police as it is a serious and traumatic experience.
Women should get free abortions and free birth control drugs even during a deficit.

Of course they should be free. Considering that it is the poor and low-IQ people who'd be put off if you were to charge for abortions the policy would pay for itself many times over in fewer criminals, welfare queens, etc.
Hand out free condoms, provide subsidized abortions for people in or below a certain income bracket. Continue these programs regardless of whether the budget is in deficit or in surplus.

This.

Why should those in middle and upper income brackets receive subsidization for that which they can easily be expected to pay themselves?
ness31 wrote:....
This has to do with respecting the fact that as a species we procreate by having sex. 
Its quite a significant event and deserves due respect. 

This is your opinion. I do not share it. Why should policy be dictated according to personal opinions?

Abortion should not be subsidized by the tax payer. Except for women who have been raped or whose health is in jeopardy and cannot afford the procedure.
But promoting abortions as a form of birth control is a callous and lazy call by the human race. 

Are you saying that abortion should not be subsidised because it is callous and lazy?

Ignoring the issue of whether or not that's true, why should we base abortion policy on trying to enforce some sort of "anti-callous and anti-lazy" morality?
PoD wrote:Why not?

Sephardi wrote:Why the hell not?

Because the state should not fund the murder of society's most defenseless human beings.

As would I. It's certainly much more cost-effective.

It would also be "cost effective" to go around strangling people with severe mental retardation, autism, those in mental hospitals, as well as clearing out many inner city areas. So what?
However, if you really hold to that sort of morality, then why would you want to allow it to go on in private clinics if you think it's 'murder'? I'm not sure why you think it's okay when it's privately funded, but suddenly not-okay when publicly funded.

Planned Parenthood takes donations in the USA, so people would just fight back by donating money to Planned Parenthood since a lot of people see the issue as important enough to put their money where their mouth is regardless of what the state happens to be doing or not doing.

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Yes, and that conditional statement is not necessa[…]

They're going to bring the debunked "Russiaga[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pAf3aBt18 How […]