Free abortion/contraception? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Which poll option reflects your view (everything that's free is paid for by the state)

Women should get free abortions and free birth control drugs even during a deficit.
57%
Women should get free abortions and free birth control drugs within a balanced budget.
7%
Women should get free abortion only if under the age.
No votes
0%
Women should never get free abortion and free birth control drugs even if the state has the available funds.
11%
Other (please elaborate)
25%
Er, wait. Are you describing conception as theoretical?

All I am saying is that with such a charged issue, wouldn't prevention be a more optimal policy direction?

We've taken the preventative route in almost every other health area and yet sexual reproduction is a no go zone.
Smokers are demonized to buggery in the name of preventative health, but a woman can happily abort a fetus at her convenience...
Rei Murasame wrote:Well, we do make sure to push birth control at people first. But if that fails or they fail to use it properly, then what are they supposed to do?

Exactly, they'll have to use abortion.

Who is 'we' exactly?

There is hardly enough emphasis on contraception and personal responsibilty. All I hear coming from the feminist movement is pro abortion blather and woman's rights claptrap.

You know who has actually made a worthwhile contribution as of late? Bettina Arndt.
I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, that's the second time someone in this thread has just given me an opinion I do not hold.
Er, wait. Are you describing conception as theoretical?

No, I was referring to the scenario you yourself described.

All I am saying is that with such a charged issue, wouldn't prevention be a more optimal policy direction?

As others have said, it's the first option available, with abortion available for those who fail to make use of it.

We've taken the preventative route in almost every other health area and yet sexual reproduction is a no go zone.

If we're discussing the proliferation of STDs with certain unsafe and over-the-top promiscious practices, I would agree with you, but beyond agreeing that contraceptives are a useful first line of defense, what exactly are we aiming at preventing? Abortion is the ultimate prevention for the individual family along with the state from an undesirable burden.

Smokers are demonized to buggery in the name of preventative health, but a woman can happily abort a fetus at her convenience...

If it helps the woman in question which in turn will aid society, I see nothing wrong with this.
ness31 wrote:Who is 'we' exactly?

There is hardly enough emphasis on contraception and personal responsibilty.

I'm pretty sure that is mentioned as part and parcel of the whole thing. I can't tabulate how many times people have been told about contraception and 'having safe sex'.

There are posters on the sides of buses saying it, there are NHS leaflets saying it, there has even been one targeted at women who have sex with women with regards to STD checks, despite obviously being the most low-risk group ever.

I think that no one has neglected to talk about personal responsibility, and in the case of heterosexuals, contraception as well.
Last edited by Rei Murasame on 20 Feb 2012 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
I enthusiastically support both capital punishment and abortion privileges.
The population should receive free unlimited supply of contraceptives, but specifically birth control pills and condoms.

Which is essentially the case now for enrolled students because birth control pills fall into the health plan you get when you're a student and condoms are readily available everywhere. Me and my girlfriend have been going to clinics and taking handfuls of free condoms for the last several months. They have good ones too btw.

As far as abortions, the only free abortions should be in cases of rape, mother's health or fetal defects. Tax payer money shouldn't be used for abortions on demand for the same reason tax payer's money isn't used for funding strip clubs.
Sephardi wrote:Fair point with the parasites. I was thinking of how fetuses cannot survive without biologically linking themselves to the mother so it shouldn't really be given rights as a human life or really be considered a human life until its born.

I don't think newborns can survive on their own... That means they are not human?
R_G wrote:The population should receive free unlimited supply of contraceptives, but specifically birth control pills and condoms.

Which is essentially the case now for enrolled students because birth control pills fall into the health plan you get when you're a student and condoms are readily available everywhere. Me and my girlfriend have been going to clinics and taking handfuls of free condoms for the last several months. They have good ones too btw.

As far as abortions, the only free abortions should be in cases of rape, mother's health or fetal defects. Tax payer money shouldn't be used for abortions on demand for the same reason tax payer's money isn't used for funding strip clubs.

I picked Forlan for top scorer at 2010, did you bet on it?
Sephardi wrote:They can biologically survive on their own.

But they cannot do it in practice. They could be seen as social parasites (you do not need to be biologically linked to another life form for survival to be a parasite, example).
Women should get free abortions and free birth control drugs even during a deficit.

I would also sell embalmed foetuses in jars to make some money on the side and it would probably sell well in the medical community and some enthusiasts.

Anyone asking for an abortion should first explain why they weren't aborted.

If the answer is "might makes right", a bullet should be promptly provided following childbirth.
wat0n wrote:I don't think newborns can survive on their own... That means they are not human?

A fetus is physically dependant - meaning it relies on the woman to sustain its life. A newborn is socially dependant, meaning anyone who chooses can care for it.
Anyone asking for an abortion should first explain why they weren't aborted.

That would be a stupid, tautological question.

She wasn't aborted because of the obvious fact that she isn't a dead fetus.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]