My sig and avatar gallery - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about and show off personal signature and avatar images.
By Smertios
:D

I made a decision to create tons of similar sigs and change them periodically (weekly, if I don't forget to do it). All of them have to do with Brazil and/or liberalism, and are basic variations of this:

The building in the left is the National Congress of Brazil The left side (proper dome) is the Senate, while the right side (inverted dome) is the Chamber of Deputies.

Here are the sigs I have created so far:

A quote from Hobbes. Granted, it isn't very liberal, but Hobbes was a champion of absolutism, being one of the severa thinkers that helped shaping the social structure of the post-feudal world. That marked the transition from feudalism to absolutism. Later, absolutism evolved into liberalism. I like to say that absolutism is to liberalism what judaism is to christianity. There wouldn't have been liberalism, if it wasn't for it.

A quote from Joaquim Nabuco, the most famous liberal voice in the history of Brazil. Also, one of the leading voices promoting absolutism, and advocating the end of slavery.

The current Brazilian flag, adopted in 1889. Since then, only the number of stars changed. There is one star for each state and one for the Federal District. Currently, they are 27 in number. And believe me or not, but the tradition of having one star representing each province/state is actually older in Brazil than in the US.

Imperial flag of Brazil. Adopted in 1821, as the flag of the Kingdom of Brazil (back then, Brazil was a member kingdom in the United Kingdom of Brazil, Portugal and Algarves). In 1822, with the independence of Brazil, the royal crown was replaced by the first imperial crown. A few decades later, the crown was changed again, since the physical crown was redesigned. The stars, again, represent the provinces. The last imperial flag had 20 stars.

The second imperial crown of Brazil. The crown of Emperor Peter II. The second image is a bit cleaner, so it is probably the one I'll be using.

Emperor Peter II (Dom Pedro II) himself. Considered by many the best head of state the country ever had. He reigned from 1841 to 1889.

The flag of the Order of Christ. This was the first flag ever flown in Brazil. It still flies in many Portuguese ships, and is the roundel of the Portuguese Air Force. The same symbol was used in the Brazilian coat of arms till 1889. Nowadays, it is still used in the arms of both the Brazilian and Portuguese football federations. No racist or anti-Islamic connotation at all. And it is kinda silly to think I, out of everyone else, would choose a racist sig, anyway. Brazil has had 9 flags so far. Portugal, another 9. I plan to make one sig out of each flag, if I manage to find the proper images. The first sig was provisory, but I found a nice image of the actual flag on a black background, and made the second version. :)

And this is al old sig that breaks the tradition:
It is a reference to the Party of the Social Democracy of Brazil (which, lately, has been more liberal than social democratic, I must add), which I tend to vote for. Members of that party are normally referred to as 'toucans', because they use a toucan as their symbol. The party has been out of power since 2002, when the Worker's Party won the elections for the first time. Hopefully, they will win in either 2014 or 2018.

Now, avatars:

José Maria da Silva Paranhos, First Baron and Viscount of Rio Branco. Prime Minister of Brazil between 1871 and 1875, being a member of the Conservative Party. One of the best heads of government Brazil has ever had. He realized the first census in the country, took measures to develop the agricultural industry, opened railroads, inaugurated the first line of telegraphy in the country, brought thousands of European immigrants etc.

Joaquim Aurélio Barreto Nabuco de Araújo. I mentioned him above, already. One of the leaders of the abolitionist movement, and probably the most famous liberal in the history of Brazil. He continued being a proud monarchist, even after the republic was proclaimed after a coup.

Emperor Pedro II/Peter II himself. His full title/style was "His Imperial Majesty Dom Pedro II, by the Grace of God and Unanimous Acclamation from the peoples, Constitutional Emperor and Perpetual Defender of Brazil"

I'm considering Adam Smith for my next avatar, but it is not certain yet. Ideas for sigs and avatars are welcome :D
I have decided to take a completely new approach, to see how things go. My current sig is this:

It was based on this image:

This is a photomontage made in Europe in 1889, showing the Heads of State of he most important countries back then. From left to right:

1. His Imperial Majesty Yohannes IV, Emperor of Ethiopia
  2. His Highness Tewfik Pasha, Viceroy of Egypt and Sudan
  3. His Imperial Majesty Abdul Hamid II, Sultan of the Ottomans
  4. His Majesty Naser al-Din Shah Qajar, King of Persia
  5. His Majesty Christian IX, King of Denmark
  6. His Majesty Louis I, King of Portugal and the Algarves
  7. His Majesty William III, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg
  8. His Imperial Majesty Peter II, Emperor of Brazil
  9. His Majesty Milan I, King of Serbia
  10. His Majesty Leopold II, King of Belgians
  11. His Imperial Majesty Alexander III, Emperor and Autocrat of all Russias
  12. His Imperial Majesty William I, German Emperor and King of Prussia
  13. His Imperial Majesty Francis Joseph I, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary
  14. Her Imperial Majesty Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and Empress of India
  15. His Excellency Jules Grévy, President of the French Republic and Co-Prince of Andorra
  16. His Holiness Pope Leo XIII
  17. His Imperial Majesty Emperor Meiji of Japan
  18. His Imperial Majesty the Guangxu Emperor (Emperor of China)
  19. His Majesty Humbert I, King of Italy
  20. His Majesty Alphonse XII, King of Spain
  21. His Majesty Oscar II, King of Sweden
  22. (His Excellency) Grover Cleveland, President of the United States

I think I'll keep this sig for a while. But considering the guy in my avatar already appears in the sig, I'm accepting suggestions for a new avatar :D
Last edited by Smertios on 22 Jul 2012 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Hmm, somehow I forgot to add my most recent avatars here...

Emperor Pedro I of Brazil (also reigned as King Pedro IV of Portugal), father of Pedro II, reigning right before him. He was the one responsible for the Brazilian independence, having been crowned emperor afterwards.

Jorge Mario Pedro Vargas Llosa, 1st Marquis of Vargas Llosa. Peruvian-Spanish writer and politician. 2010 Nobel Prize in Literature laureate. Probably the most important voice in Ibero-American liberalism right now. He ran for President of Peru in 1990, but ended up losing to Fujimori. He was made a marquis by King Juan Carlos I of Spain in 2011.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...We have bottomless pockets and Russia does not[…]

@Godstud What is going to change? I thought t[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving […]

Seeing that this place is filled to the brim with […]