US Navy almost fires on Iranian ships after provocation - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Thompson_NCL
I didn't smile that's for sure, in fact no one I know did. We were all shocked and apppauled.

That said I think we need to make a distinction between those happy that America was giving a hammer-blow, and those that celebrate the deaths.

It's one thing to want to celebrate your enemies defeat, it's quite another to celebrate their deaths.
By Goranhammer
If you're Canadian, that just reinforces my argument. Only an idiot of a Canadian would say the United States is an "enemy". Anyone who thinks that is either self-righteous as hell, or just incredibly bored.

Or, as I said, a fucking idiot.
By Gletkin
NY Yankees suck. wrote:There were also people lining the streets of Palestine cheering at the news that America had been attacked.

I remember the "liberal Arab-loving media" showing the same video clip purporting to a Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon. Quite a few times.

But none about the candle-light vigils in Palestine or elsewhere in the MidEast.

Goranhammer wrote:Granted, I'm not saying this is representative of all or even most Canadians, but I'm adamant when I say that the vast majority saw a smile come to their faces when they heard the news.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Anyway, wer'e not any better. During Desert Storm a bar I was in erupted into cheers when the news on TV showed video footage from a smart bomb we had dropped on a civilian air-raid shelter just because we thought Saddam was there and the collateral damage was worth it.

What if that had been captured on camera and mike and broadcast over and over again in some foreign country's media saying "This is typical of Americans" while ignoring American peace protests or any indication that some of us were distressed at this mistake?
Last edited by Gletkin on 10 Jan 2008 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
By Kapanda
Only an idiot of a Canadian would say the United States is an "enemy". Anyone who thinks that is either self-righteous as hell, or just incredibly bored.

I'm sure it must've hit you some time in your life that not everyone sees the world in a similar fashion to you...
By skinster
How do you know the British weren't encroaching the Iranian waters?

Western media wouldn't lie to us, would it?!?! SAY IT AIN'T SO!
By Oxymoron

Yes and we can surely trust the Iranian media.
By Piano Red
How do you know the British weren't encroaching the Iranian waters?

Yeah, that overly trustworthy state-owned service is quite good I hear. :roll:
By Maas

Western media probably wouldn't lie. But that doesn't mean our media aint getting used for propaganda purposes.
By Looter
Bush is sending 3000 more soldiers to Afghanistan to 30,000. Afghanistan is right next to Iran. What is he talking with Israel about. He has only 1 year left to make peace in mid East. Lets go, this will be fun.
By Dogstar21
In an update to the story, the US is admitting...er...announcing that the message they received may not have come from the Iranian boats.

"The Navy never said specifically where the voices came from, but many were left with the impression they had come from the speedboats because of the way the Navy footage was edited.

Today, the spokesperson for the U.S. admiral in charge of the Fifth Fleet clarified to ABC News that the threat may have come from the Iranian boats, or it may have come from somewhere else."

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4115702&page=1
By Piano Red
In an update to the story, the US is admitting...er...announcing that the message they received may not have come from the Iranian boats.

"The Navy never said specifically where the voices came from, but many were left with the impression they had come from the speedboats because of the way the Navy footage was edited.

Today, the spokesperson for the U.S. admiral in charge of the Fifth Fleet clarified to ABC News that the threat may have come from the Iranian boats, or it may have come from somewhere else."

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4115702&page=1

What admittance? Way to twist the facts.

That Admiral pretty much stated as much a few days ago in the Centcom daily briefing. Signals analysis of the radio transmission led some in the Pentagon to believe that it may have come from a landbased broadcast.

Which, if proven true, would only lend credence to speculation that this incident was deliberately provoked by hardliners in Iran (through the IRGC of course) to make headlines and spark an international row with the US.
By Piano Red
Yes, because Iran want nothing but confrontation with the US

Correct.

Not so much a case of wanting "nothing but" confrontation with the US as much as a need to, primarily in order to satiate the vested interests of certain factions within Iran.

I could explain the dynamics of Iran's domestic politics and the current geo-political power struggles going on there right now.

But...somehow I doubt any of it would be acknowledged.
By Tailz
Has no one found it odd that the Iranians "just happened" to video tape this specific incident, do they video tape all routine missions like this? And is it not just a little bit too convent that they specifically video taped the guy sending the radio message??

The whole thing smells a little fishy.
By Oxymoron
because Iran want nothing but confrontation with the US

Yes they do, unless the capturing British Sailors was an accident.
By Balzak
Iran releases its video of confrontation at sea
Washington Post
Jan. 10, 2008 01:42 PM

In a challenge to the U.S. version of events, Iran Thursday released a video of the confrontation Sunday between five small Iranian speedboats and three U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf.

The five-minute video does not include the confrontation or threatening language described by U.S. officials, who released their own video of the incident Tuesday. Instead, it shows Iranian navy personnel calmly radioing U.S. warships to ask for additional information on ship identification.

It also shows the Iranian patrol boats near but not closing in on the USS Port Royal and two accompanying vessels and captures a radio exchange in English.

“Coalition warship 73, this is Iranian navy patrol boat,” an Iranian officer says in English. One of the American warships responds: “This is coalition warship 73. I read you loud and clear.”

The Iranian officer, dressed in a life vest and keffiyeh scarf, then says: “Coalition warship 73, this Iranian navy patrol boat, request side number ... operating in the area (at) this time.”

Like the four-minute U.S. video released Tuesday, the Iranian video does not capture the entire encounter, which U.S. officials said lasted 20 to 30 minutes, and is therefore difficult to reconcile with the conflicting American version of events. The Iranian video was released by Iran's Press TV satellite station.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the Iranian video does not refute the U.S. version. “Simply choosing not to reveal the careless and reckless actions in this video does not change the facts from what took place,” he said in an e-mail.

The Pentagon charged that the Iranian vessels threatened to “explode” the U.S. warships and dropped white box-like objects in the water before abruptly turning around and heading north toward Iran.

A U.S. Navy official noted that both versions could reflect the events that transpired.

The State Department said it has sent a formal protest to Iran via the Swiss Embassy in Tehran, which has handled American interests in Iran since the break in formal relations in 1980. “We have ... prepared and given to the Swiss a diplomatic note formally protesting this incident,” said State Department spokesman Tom Casey.

In Tehran, Revolutionary Guards Brig. General Ali Fadavi charged that the United States was creating a “media fuss,” the Fars News Agency reported. He said the Iranian navy's goal was to obtain registration numbers that had been unreadable.

The incident has triggered tough words from the United States. President Bush has twice called the encounter a “provocation” and warned that Iran faced “serious consequences” if it happened again.

Parts of the video record conversations in Persian between Iranians on the patrol boat. They appear to be discussing the clarification requested and a radio frequency change, according to two Persian-speakers contacted by the Washington Post. At one point, the Iranian officer appears to be checking a Global Positioning System device.

“We don't know whether the Iranian version is edited, but from what we see, it appears to be a fairly normal exchange between Iranian naval patrol boats and U.S. ships in the Strait of Hormuz. The Iranian naval person asks the U.S. to identify itself, which it does,” said Shaul Bakhash, an Iran expert at George Mason University whose wife was detained in Iran for more than eight months last year.

“There is nothing on that tape to indicate a confrontation, the danger of hostilities and certainly no statement by the Iranian side as alleged by the U.S. side that the Iranians were coming at them,” he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0110iran-us0110-ON.html

If I have to believe the US version of the facts I guess the IRGC needed an ego-boost by which they behaved overzealous at best or extremely dangerous and irresponsible at worst.

If I have to believe the Iranian version I guess president Bush needed a boost to convince his Arab allies of the Iranian 'threat' in order to forge an anti-Iranian alliance.

oxymoron wrote:Yes they do, unless the capturing British Sailors was an accident.

No they don't. Iran can only lose in a direct confrontation with the US.
By skinster
Yes they do, unless the capturing British Sailors was an accident.

The borders were disputed and that issue was resolved fairly quickly making the Iranians look quite decent, in comparison to...I dunno, people being kidnapped from their own country and imprisoned indefinitely on US soil by the most democratic country in the world... :roll:
By ingliz
I always believe that any official news is manipulated from both sides.That is why independent and impartial journalism is essential.I think the worst propaganda mistake the US has made in this 'war on terror' is the deliberate targeting of journalists and the 'embedding' in military units of reporters.

Pretty clear France will be taking a leading role […]

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]

Yes, and it did not order a ceasefire. Did you ev[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]