What if Texas were the Ukraine - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
skeptic-1 wrote:How about:

Roll 1,000 Tanks up to the border and suggest total reconciliation of differences. ?

Russia will become an important ally as China expands. (Don't forget they are within walking distance of Russia)

It is not our job to spread Democracy ! Stay out of this squabble !
Since Ukraine is a sovereign country, it would really be more like if Canada were having big fights with their government about how close to the US verses how close to Britain they should be.

The answer of what, "we," by which you mean the US or Europe, would do is simple: Nobody knows or cares what's going on in Canada anyway. And we wouldn't in the Ukraine except that we feel like Putin has pissed on our shoes and we want to find a way to be morally better than him.
The Immortal Goon wrote:Since Ukraine is a sovereign country, it would really be more like if Canada were having big fights with their government about how close to the US verses how close to Britain they should be.

The answer of what, "we," by which you mean the US or Europe, would do is simple: Nobody knows or cares what's going on in Canada anyway. And we wouldn't in the Ukraine except that we feel like Putin has pissed on our shoes and we want to find a way to be morally better than him.

We Needed Russia in WWII (suffered most losses) and will need them going forward. Why do we want to antagonize them ? No solution let them roll the tanks :-)
layman wrote:I dont think the American public would be willing to go to war for the Ukraine.

Economic sanctions might not even happen. Europe would want to keep the oil flowing too.

They would be Russian tanks !
From a legal standpoint they would need an election to decide. And there would have to be an option for portions of the state to go on their way as well. I suppose San Antonio and Austin would want to go on their separate ways. Houston would want to stay in the USA and NE Texas would want to become a slaver state. It would leave a funny looking ziggurat shaped Texas.
Social_Critic wrote:From a legal standpoint they would need an election to decide. And there would have to be an option for portions of the state to go on their way as well. I suppose San Antonio and Austin would want to go on their separate ways. Houston would want to stay in the USA and NE Texas would want to become a slaver state. It would leave a funny looking ziggurat shaped Texas.

I was suggesting Russia do the invading not the USA.

Interesting division you envisioned. Could be :-)
Social_Critic"From a legal standpoint they would need an election to decide. And there would have to be an option for portions of the state to go on their way as well. I suppose San Antonio and Austin would want to go on their separate ways. Houston would want to stay in the USA and NE Texas would want to become a slaver state. It would leave a funny looking ziggurat shaped Texas.[/quote]

Skeptic-1
I was suggesting Russia do the invading not the USA.

Interesting division you envisioned. Could be :-)[/quote]

Add on: skeptic-1
03/01/14 at 04:16 PM

The United States, Russia and China are the three greatest powers on the globe. All stable efficiently managed entities with whom we are able to adequately deal with over a predictably long period of time. The Ukraine is a mixture of political discontent and financial inadequacy. This is a Russian Ukrainian problem and that we best step back from. Its not our fight ! Difficult or not we need Russia now and in the future as a balance to China. Back off !
I didn´t suggest an invasion. I´m fully aware of Russian history, what happened in Soviet Union days, and the current events in Ukraine. Yesterday I gave a short presentation to locals here in town about Ukraine. The gist of it is that since Ukraine is a critical defense element for Russia against NATO encroachment, and because Russia can cut off natural gas flows to Ukraine and it´s Winter, then there´s not going to be much ruckus if Russia wants to regain the Crimea, which after all is Russian territory moved administratively to Ukraine in the times of the Soviet dictatorship.
A better comparison would be China sending in its troops to retake outer Manchuria from the Russians. They have as much or more right to that region than Russia has to Crimea.

Maybe China is taking notes to see how revanchist annexations work?
warsmith17 wrote:A better comparison would be China sending in its troops to retake outer Manchuria from the Russians. They have as much or more right to that region than Russia has to Crimea.

Maybe China is taking notes to see how revanchist annexations work?

I don´t think outer Mongolia belongs to the Russians. However, Russian rights to the Crimea are historic, the population is mostly Russian and they ought to have a plesbicite or referéndum to decide which way they want to land.

In Venezuela they are having a similar problema, some in the states of Tachira and Zulia are discussing how to separate from Caracas. But in that case they have the same language and their ties are historic, so I think they won´t be able to be free from Maduro´s dictatorship.
Social_Critic wrote:I don´t think outer Mongolia belongs to the Russians. However, Russian rights to the Crimea are historic, the population is mostly Russian and they ought to have a plesbicite or referéndum to decide which way they want to land.

In Venezuela they are having a similar problema, some in the states of Tachira and Zulia are discussing how to separate from Caracas. But in that case they have the same language and their ties are historic, so I think they won´t be able to be free from Maduro´s dictatorship.

I said Manchuria in my post, not Mongolia.

Besides, even if they had "rights" they abrogated those in the Budapest Memorandum when they guaranteed Ukrainian territorial integrity, in exchange for nukes.

Confessions extracted under torture...seems legit.[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]