2014 IR question - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By spodi
In your opinions, was 2014 the most significant year so far in this century when it comes to the subject of international relations. If not, which year of the last 15? Please and thanks.
By spodi
Political Interest wrote:I do not believe we can speak in terms of individual years. What we have seen in 2014 is more or less the culmination of trends which have been in the making since the 1980s.

Cool! Can you give me some points on your theory?
By Angelamerkel
2001 - AQ successfully attacks the USA imperial heartland.

2003 - Iraq invasion

2008 - economic crisis

2010 - International Court of Justice validates Kosovo's unilateral Declaration of Independence of 2008. This sets a precedent for any portion of any country to declare its independence if it has the military power or backing to do so.

2014 - Rosetta mission lands Philae probe on a comet.
spodi wrote:Cool! Can you give me some points on your theory?

I hope you are not trying to get help for a homework or university assignment. My theory is that what we are seeing did not simply appear in any one year. For example, the rise of Islamic fundamentalism has not been a new development but has been taking place in major form since the 1970s. It was in the 2000's that we saw the largest manifestation of it. Now in the 2010s we have seen the latest and most profound extension of it this year when ISIL made massive gains.

Likewise the growing resurgence of Russia has taken place since 2000. The capture of Crimea was a sign that Russia is able to reassert itself as a world power.

Who knows where these trends and developments will take us next?
By ThirdTerm
The Ukrainian conflict is a minor squabble between Russia and its former satellite, which is aspiring to gain full independence from Russia, compared to the Global War on Terrorism that has been going on for the last fifteen years and the most significant year so far was 2001. The 9/11 attacks changed the American political landscape completely and the Bush administration's aggressive foreign policy cost the nation $3 trillion, which eventually triggered the 2008 financial crisis. I personally visited the US in 2000 and I felt that the impact of 9/11 was comparable to the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 by observing how America changed under the Bush administration. The US was fundamentally transformed after 9/11, which was as shocking as Pearl Harbor for most Americans as it was the second direct attack by a foreign country or group on American soil in its history.
By spodi
I understand 9/11 was a paradigm shift for the world and hugely significant but today there is multiple hot spots at once. Internationally I'd say 2011 was the second most important with the Arab spring, riots in Europe and the Occupy movement that started in lower Manhattan, spread and sadly became obsolete.
By Angelamerkel
Occupy? Arab spring? You mean the Lybian and Tunisian revolts? Maybe you ought to try polling the membership?
By spodi
Angelamerkel wrote:Occupy? Arab spring? You mean the Lybian and Tunisian revolts? Maybe you ought to try polling the membership?

Yes Mein Füehrer. I see your a grad student, were you an undergrad at Freiburg University in the 30s? What's your eugenics policy for the environment? BTW I have Bavarian blood.
By LehmanB
2008-9. The economic crisis + Obama have influenced the most. Perhaps its resaults are not as direct, yet they are enormous.

That have created bigger shift int he middle east than the US invasions after 9\11. And a bigger change in the game between China-Russia -USA, and global terrorism. and have influenced the most on Europe alike.

Its this time, when America got a democrat and an economic crisis, for international relations to have some change.

The second in importance would be 2001 IMO. Speaking of this millenium.
By Potemkin
Jeez, what is it with you people and Obama? Did a black Democrat run over your pet cat when you were a kid or something?
By LehmanB
A democrat. Nothing here to do with his skin. Condoleezza Rice was great. But Carter, Obama, even Ruzvelt in some aspects, and Kennedy.. were .. just.. eh. And all of them were emotionaly and politicaly against my group of people. So I assume thats contributes to my views. Clinton was exceptional in this aspect.

Anyway, Obama did make a shift in the foreign policy. And the economic crisis also. These two have influenced Europe, middle east, China, Africa and Russia the most. Obama's policy have made more shifts in the middle east than Bush did. And of course, after American economic crisis enormous bad things develop. So I think 2008-9 thats the year, and we are still through this.
9-11 was important yet secondary.

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

https://twitter.com/huwaidaarraf/status/1773389663[…]