First a little background:
- Pakistan shares a long border, 99% of which is informal, I mean, there is no border security forces on both sides, and there is no marking for border.
- The border region is very harsh and Pakistani military had never visited that region since the beginning of 1947.
- There were already more than 3 million afghan refugees (but only a few have returned now).
- After 911, USA asked Pakistan at gun-point to join the war or it will be sent to stone age.
- It can be clear that the above point is very humiliating for Pakistan being a nuclear power.
- USA put demands in front of Pakistan and expected that several will be met. But Pakistan accepted all the demands without any objection.
Second a little analogy
In common life, if someone powerful puts a gun at my face in front of my friends and family and ask me to join him in a long journey for a war in which there is very little for me, and then later I find several opportunities to play a double game, I will definitely do so. I think it is human nature.
Now the questions
Pakistani double game cost NATO the whole war, and they achieved very little in 13-14 years of a war in a country with very technologically poor enemy.
When USA and NATO knew the nature of joining Pakistan in the war on terror,and they saw that Pakistan fulfilled all demands made by USA,
- Why didn't they knew that Pakistan has a grudge?
- Why was a double game from Pakistan not logical/expected to them?
- When they saw that Pakistan is playing double game, why didn't they try to locate its reasons?
- Why their military commanders and political leaders of two parties doesn't (apparently) recognize this even until now?
- Joining by force in a war.
- Geopolitical and economical constraints of Pakistan about which NATO didn't care.