White cops, black streets - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Zagadka
I noticed on the news tonight - a neighborhood (controlled by the Crips) was feeling that the police were cracking down too hard. This wasn't the gangsters talking - this is the residents.

The LA County officials etc had a big meeting about their new plans. What caught my eye was that every single person representing the city, county, and law enforcement was white, while every single person on their "suspect board" was black, mostly in on possession of marijuana or firearms.

Now, I'm not making a big racism claim... but the entire setup seems entirely counter-intuitive. It creates a situation where there is a line between citizen and cop, which only cultivates violent gang activity and attacks on police officers.

I would say that there should be effort to put cops on the street that can actually fit in and be trusted. That isn't to say, hire gangsters. But rather, promote the occupation of policing, or move in some black cops from other areas.

The entire thing reminded me of sectarian Iraq. In LA, everyone has their part of the city controlled by gangs, and police struggling. Make the struggle easier. Go back to putting officers on the beat, not just in patrol cars. Be visual, be able to be friendly with the neighborhood, and you'll see a lot of bad guys get called in by residents.
By Oxymoron
So your saying that white officers are all prejiduce, and Black officers can do a better job because their black?

Give me a freaking break if more Blacks signed up for the Police then you wouldnt have this "problem". Given affirmative action they would actually have a leg up on white officers for promotion.
By The Immortal Goon
The problem is that, unlike say New England (including New York and such) which have beat cops and such, LA has a highly centralized system that's more like a military operation than anything.

If you have some outsiders come swooping in with extreme prejudice when there's trouble and leave you to rot the rest of the time, it creates an isolation from the police - more like being occupied than having a police force.

The cop-shops and such have proven rather effective in relating to the community.
By Oxymoron
If you have some outsiders come swooping in with extreme prejudice when there's trouble and leave you to rot the rest of the time, it creates an isolation from the police

Interesting, LA doesnt have local precincts?
By Nets
Be visual, be able to be friendly with the neighborhood, and you'll see a lot of bad guys get called in by residents.

Zag, I see your point. I think that the residents aren't so much alienated from the cops as they are terrified of retribution from the gangs and drug dealers --- those people have no bounds on their inhumanity.
By The Immortal Goon
There are localized precincts, but only four for a much larger (geographically speaking) area than New York. These four are tapped in to a central hub. New York has several boroughs broken in to many precincts that are fairly localized.

That's my understanding anyway.
By Zagadka
So your saying that white officers are all prejiduce, and Black officers can do a better job because their black?

You misunderstood me completely.

I'm saying that the residents would be more forthcoming, in the barrios, with police officers they can relate to. I'm not saying it is the white cops' fault, I'm saying that they would get better results with targeted patrols.
By Oxymoron
So lets put Russian police in Russian Nieghborhoods, and Chinese in china town, talk about segregation.
By InterestedInPolitics
I knew of a white cop in which the black community trusted him more than any black cop and this white cop accomplished more positive things and did an excellent job in reducing crime in the black community where I worked. So, white or black, how you carry yourself matters more than skin color. The members of the black community are human like anybody else. You just have to approach with the right attitude and depending on the neighborhood, with some level of street smarts.
By Zagadka
Did you live in Compton, V?

So lets put Russian police in Russian Nieghborhoods, and Chinese in china town, talk about segregation.

I never said segregating. I said focusing on proper neighborhoods - not exclusively, and not to divide races.
By Frank_Carbonni
Oxymoron wrote:So lets put Russian police in Russian Nieghborhoods, and Chinese in china town, talk about segregation.

I think he is rather saying that there is still the perception of racism by the black community in Los Angeles and other cities and that it is a barrier. A good many people in black communities view the police as more of a hostile presence than in white neighborhoods. They see people who are of not their race, often hostile and rude towards them, run by a mostly white city government, and unaware of the situation on the streets. Having more black officers on the street might help reduce racial tensions between the black community and the police.
By InterestedInPolitics
Did you live in Compton, V?

heh, no, never lived in Compton, but if I did, I would never be a police man in that town. However, their is an old saying "some things are better left unsaid" which, is wise to adhere to.
By NoRapture
Oh, yeah. That's exactly what he said! Shheesshh...

Now, hurry! Go tell everybody what the liberals are up to!
By PBVBROOK
I think it helps for every community to feel it is represented by the police. Having police from the community is best. I think, for example, that black cops in a black neighborhood not only inspire confidence in the police but also show the community that crime is not a black/white issue.

Its good for young people to see people like themselves who have made the decision to get on the right side of the law.
By Meistro1
"while every single person on their "suspect board" was black, mostly in on possession of marijuana or firearms."

Well this is the problem right here... I mean, possession of firearms is a crime? I guess no one cares about the second amendment anymore - or maybe it doesn't apply to inner cities? Is it only white people that are allowed to bear arms?
By NoRapture
Well this is the problem right here... I mean, possession of firearms is a crime?
It is when you have a forty page rap sheet.
By Meistro1
Can other constitutional rights, such as the right to freedom of religion or speech also be taken away by the state if you have a 40 page rap sheet? Or just the right to bear arms?
By keso
Now, hurry! Go tell everybody what the liberals are up to!

Post of the week.

It gets so tiring for every single simple point to be so misconstrued, so consistently.
By Oxymoron
New Idea:

White Day laborers for White business owners, to make them feel more comfortable.
By NoRapture
Can other constitutional rights, such as the right to freedom of religion or speech also be taken away by the state if you have a 40 page rap sheet? Or just the right to bear arms?
I see what you mean. Convicts can worship however they want to but can't even carry the firearm of their choice in the courtyard? What's America coming to?

This is a lie. You're not that stupid or ignorant[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]