Now reading - Page 146 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By ThirdTerm

In the wake of the attack on the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris on 7 January 2015, millions took to the streets to demonstrate their revulsion, expressing a desire to reaffirm the ideals of the French Republic: liberté, égalité, fraternité. But who were the millions of demonstrators who were suddenly united under the single cry of ‘Je suis Charlie’?

In this probing new book, Emmanuel Todd investigates the cartography and sociology of the three to four million who marched in Paris and across France and draws some unsettling conclusions. For while they claimed to support liberal, republican values, the real middle classes who marched on that day of indignant protest also had a quite different programme in mind, one that was far removed from their proclaimed ideal. Their deep values were in fact more reminiscent of the most depressing aspects of France’s national history: conservatism, selfishness, domination and inequality.

By identifying the anthropological, religious, economic and political forces that brought France to the edge of the abyss, Todd reveals the real dangers posed to all western societies when the interests of privileged middle classes work against marginalised and immigrant groups. Should we really continue to mistreat young people, force the children of immigrants to live on the outskirts of our cities, consign the poorer classes to the remoter parts of the country, demonise Islam, and allow the growth of an ever more menacing anti-Semitism? While asking uncomfortable questions and offering no easy solutions, Todd points to the difficult and uncertain path that might lead to an accommodation with Islam rather than a deepening and divisive confrontation.

http://www.polity.co.uk/book.asp?ref=9781509505777
By anasawad
Only read a segment and still on my to read list. but anyways.

The Day The War Ended : May 8, 1945- Victory in Europe.
By Martin Gilbert.
And World Order by Henry Kissinger.
By Sphinx
I started reading the memoirs of Ariel Sharon.

anasawad wrote:World Order by Henry Kissinger.

Good book. But maybe it should have been made an article instead.
By Sphinx
Started reading "Theory of Population" by Thomas Malthus.

It is a classic. I would like to see if it says anything other than the expected humanity-is-doomed thing.
By Bulaba Khan Jones
Started the Culture series of novels, starting with Consider Phlebas. Wasn't really that good, aside from some of the concepts in the book. The ideas and the world building was neat, but the actual plot and characters and some of the writing itself was either mundane, boring, or relied heavily on popular tropes and cliches. There is even a character in the book who is, basically, the R2-D2/C3PO drone sidekick who says the darndest things.
By Ombrageux
I'm about half-way through Ezra Pound's Guide to Kulchur.

I don't understand half of it, but he has a rather stimulating way of rambling
By skinster
Last book I read

Current book which is hurting my tiny girl brain, much

And this at work

Sphinx wrote:I started reading the memoirs of Ariel Sharon.

Ugh.
By Sphinx
You have got some very interesting books, skinster.
skinster wrote:Ugh.

:)

Actually it is kinda good book. And he praises the Arabs as fierce warriors, as he believes that any attempt to look down at them is an attempt to look down at their enemies, the Israelis.

He also mentions that while he thought that he had encircled the Egyptian third army in 1973, his defence minister -Moshe Dayan- believed that it was Sharon who was being encircled.

Interesting read overall.
By Ombrageux
@Cromwell: Cheers! Feels great to be back :)

The place is really looking slicker and slicker.

And so exciting with all the Happenings happening!
By Donna
I'm presently reading The Tarot of the Bohemians by Papus.

Paradigm wrote:The Reign of Quantity by René Guénon
Violence and the Sacred by René Girard

Still working on Aristotle's Metaphysics

Oh la la, l'occulte!
By Dagoth Ur
Sphinx wrote:Started reading "Theory of Population" by Thomas Malthus.

It is a classic. I would like to see if it says anything other than the expected humanity-is-doomed thing.

It is a worthless piece of hyperbolic hysteria is what it is. Malthus was an idiot.
By Sphinx
I am currently reading the complete works of Ezzedine Choukri Fishere.

Dagoth Ur wrote:It is a worthless piece of hyperbolic hysteria is what it is. Malthus was an idiot.

Well, I give it 6/10 score.

There is a thoughtful maxim in that book though: you may lose reachable goals while seeking impossible ones. This goes against the common wisdom that setting the sky as the limit is always a good thing.
anasawad wrote:Parenting for dummies

Sounds interesting. Tell us what you learn from this book when you finish it.

Your characterization of the Russian invasion of […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We don't walk away from our allies says Genocide […]

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]