Who you would/will vote for in the American Presidential Election. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Who you would/will vote for in the American Presidential Election.

Trump
38%
Clinton
35%
Johnson
3%
Stein
6%
No one
18%
The Immortal Goon wrote:The only thing that will stop it, constitutionally, will be to apply the legitimate threat of third parties on the left to stop the moderates and social democrats from compromising their way to the right.

This threat is not taken very seriously by mainstream Democrats, as far as I can see. The Sanders movement is dismissed as a short lived fad and its adherents as clueless naifs (at best) or honorary deplorables. These stalwarts may be justified in giving short shrift to progressives - after all, 8 in 10 former Bernie supporters are being projected to vote for Clinton. Not much threat there.

Saeko wrote:Maybe I should vote for Trump if just for the lulz.

Well, sure. That's about the extent of his revolution. Trump is evolving into a Reagan clone with a side order of George Wallace.
Quetz wrote:This threat is not taken very seriously by mainstream Democrats, as far as I can see. The Sanders movement is dismissed as a short lived fad and its adherents as clueless naifs (at best) or honorary deplorables. These stalwarts may be justified in giving short shrift to progressives - after all, 8 in 10 former Bernie supporters are being projected to vote for Clinton. Not much threat there.

All the more reason for dissident and real leftists to vote third party.
Paradigm wrote:I would hold my nose and choose the neoliberal over the fascist. Thankfully I don't have to make that choice.

Lol, this is why no one takes the left seriously anymore. You would rather vote for the establishment candidate instead of voting for the protectionist and nationalist, who objectively isn't a fascist by any qualified definition.

America will get the president that it deserves.
Donald wrote:Lol, this is why no one takes the left seriously anymore. You would rather vote for the establishment candidate instead of voting for the protectionist and nationalist, who objectively isn't a fascist by any qualified definition.

America will get the president that it deserves.

But does America really deserve the choices they have? Trump or Hillary... had you told me these were the choices 2 years ago I would have cried.
TrumpSortOfMeme wrote:But does America really deserve the choices they have? Trump or Hillary... had you told me these were the choices 2 years ago I would have cried.

The problem is that too many people want to elect a political saint. It doesn't work that way. You elect the son of the bitch who is going to advance your interests.
Beren wrote:How is it so hard to imagine being American?

Can you be American without identifying to some degree with US global hegemony? As an American, how can you live with Mossadegh, Vietnam, Allende, Afghanistan, Guantanamo, torture, extrajudicial killings, Iraq, and, and, and? As an American, do you believe that all of this was necessary to defend your country or to impose US hegemony on the world? How do you live with the violence, the racial tension, the plutocracy of money, the absence of a social safety net? I don't know how they do it.
Atlantis wrote:I don't know how they do it.

Most of them just live their lives and don't give a damn, I guess, while the others either support/enjoy or oppose it actively, or live with it passively. Being American is also just a way of being a civilised human, I don't think it's especially hard to learn to live with the responsibilities and challenges of being American. What I can't imagine is that how I could be a Chinese, if I had to live in China. I wonder whether I could cope with living in China at all.
Beren wrote:I don't think it's especially hard to learn to live with the responsibilities and challenges of being American. What I can't imagine is that how I could be a Chinese, if I had to live in China. I wonder whether I could cope with living in China at all.

That is just another way of saying you prefer to live in prosperity rather than in poverty.

I think it is harder to be American than it is to be Chinese. After all, Americans, at least in theory, do have a choice, if they believe that they live in a democracy and not in a plutocracy of money (which is harder to believe as time goes by). While as a Chinese, you don't really have any choice. Whatever your government does in the South China Sea, or wherever, is not your responsibility, since you can't vote for your government. Quite on the contrary, you are just happy that the Communist Party in its great wisdom does everything to take China out off poverty and prevents the country form falling into anarchy.

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712

I like what Chomsky has stated about Manufacturin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...The French were the first "genociders&quo[…]