Happiness in poverty - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
Happiness in poverty? :lol: What bullshit!

He's got a budget and is sticking too it and it's enough to get by. That's not poverty! That's calling 'getting by'. If he couldn't pay his bills, was threatened to get kicked out of his house, and couldn't afford 3 square meals a day, it'd be poverty. He's just a spoiled student who doesn't know what the word poverty even means.
By Hong Wu
I think a desire for luxuries may be related to not having things you can do with something you own, which might make it worth reflecting on why you own it.

Examples:
I used to own a nice long wallet but these days I use a simpler wallet because it has a passport pocket, now I have a use for the lesser wallet.
I used to buy and be into nice bags and backpacks, but sometimes I carry a lot of things around with me and I found that using slimmed down bags lets me stack them on top of each other and it's far more efficient, so now I use cheap US$20-ish carrying cases for things.
@ Mosaic
Mosaic wrote:Some people - and I think I'm lucky enough to be one of them - don't depend on possessions or status for happiness. (I rather think of it as "contentment." Happiness is a transient mood. Contentment is a more long term mental state.) Is it something we choose? So much of it is just plain luck. I was lucky to be born healthy and relatively intelligent, I had loving supportive parents, I lived in a crime free town with good education, etc. I know there is so much that contributed to my situation that I really can't take credit for.

This paragraph is rather contradictory. You claim to be contented without possessions. Next you present a long list, which registers a state of considerable wealth. Scientific research confirms that as a rule wealth furthers satisfaction.
Mosaic wrote:Some people just seem to be driven, and they're not happy if their not driving. Others are content to "smell the flowers."

Productive people contribute to the total satisfaction of mankind. Idle people prey upon the toil of others, and thus reduce the average satisfaction. Admittedly it is difficult to discern productive and unproductive activities. I believe that work is probably unproductive, if people refuse to pay for it (although this rule of thumb ignores free riding). Imho it is vital that the culture stimulates an enterprising behaviour. Therefore it is so critical that the adherents of the (radical) left malign entrepreneurs, asserting that they would supposedly exploit their fellow-men. In fact the reverse is just as conceivable: the workers expoit the entrepreneur. This reminds me of a union joke. The union leader tells the workers: "From now on you will only have to work on thursdays". A worker shouts: "What? The whole thursday?"
@ Godstud
Godstud wrote:He's got a budget and is sticking too it and it's enough to get by. That's not poverty! That's calling 'getting by'. If he couldn't pay his bills, was threatened to get kicked out of his house, and couldn't afford 3 square meals a day, it'd be poverty. He's just a spoiled student who doesn't know what the word poverty even means.

You are right that the concept of poverty requires a definition. Sometimes poverty is defined with respect to the national income per capita, but then she actually measures inequality. According to this standard students belong indeed to the poor. It is also well-known that working students are mostly marginally employed workers. But I agree with you that there is justice in this, because the college days are an investment in your future career. Also, society invests in students, which can be interpreted as a kind of reward. Students get the chance to accumulate human capital. Besides, students take their fellow-students as their reference point, so that their situation appears satisfactory to them. Their bursary is probably their first income anyway, which compares favourably with their previous situation. So inequality is not in itself a problem. Evidently AuContraireVoltaire suffers somewhat due to his previous experience with well-paying jobs. This thread may help to clarify the motives that induce him to study.
@ neopagan
neopagan wrote:Does happiness, fluctuate etc.... God yes, just think if you were responsible for a child at this point. Your options would be severly limited.

Good point.
From what the original poster posted about his being in "poverty", is anything BUT poverty. I've been there.
AuContraireVoltaire wrote:Now, I cannot do that. I have to budget and keep a watchful eye on my outgoings and expenditure. I don't have that liberty anymore and (especially at the moment as I await my final loan and grant instalment of the year) my activities and freedom are circumscribed by these fiscal constraints.

But yet I probably the happiest I have ever been.

By staying within your budget you controlled your desires instead of them controlling you. Ruling over our own desires has always been a goal of those looking for spiritual gain.
By Mercenary
Impoverished countries tend to score quite high on international happiness indexes.

A poor man appreciates what he has, because what he has, he has earned. In the west, the means never justified the ends. You all know it to be true.
Happiness is a profound word..am I happy? What will make me happy. Personal achievement through the 'phase' of poverty am on. Am a student I wouldn't say I have all I want I have nothing, nothing that I have seem to make me happy. Do I sound barbaric? Yes am sure I do. Happiness is like love its personal.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

no. It's not. :O BUilding more homes for people […]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]