Debates 2016! - Full Presidential Debate Clips - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By ness31
Trump for me.
By redcarpet
According to Trump, the reason for his poor performance is.......a defective microphone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT for expansion:

Dan Rather summed it up well;

If you are a fan of Hillary Clinton, I suspect you are thrilled with her poised and confident performance. Perhaps her crowning line was “I prepared for this debate and I'm prepared to be President”. If you are a fan of Donald Trump, his quarrelsome, no-holds-barred approach, often facts be damned, will likely in turn have thrilled you. The question is what does everybody else watching think and how many impressionable voters remain?

Taking a snapshot of the debate stage this evening, two candidates behind podiums, each representing one of the major political parties, it would seem to be the latest chapter in our quadrennial dance with democracy. But experiencing the event, in sound and motion, it was of course anything but.
From the very beginning, the body language tonight was striking. HIllary Clinton, the first woman ever to be on this stage was calm and substantive. Donald Trump interrupted often and slouched and sneered as he turned to address her. This is what Trump’s fans like about him, playing the alpha male at all costs. Clinton seemed completely unflustered, which is what her fans love about her. How this all plays to the majority of viewers and voters at home will be in the eyes of the beholder.

But I was surprised by how much this man who has made so much of the means of television spent not looking into the camera, but preoccupied with his adversary. Trump came across as amped, a pacing tiger ready to pounce on every answer. His Interruptions suggests little regard to the rules. He’s itching for a fight...Wants to swing wildly.

At one point early in the debate Clinton, after multiple factually questionable assertions by Trump said, "I have a feeling by the end of this debate I'll be blamed for everything that ever happened," Clinton said. Trump replied, “Why not?” That about summed it up.

Clinton clearly wanted to get under Trump’s skin. She attacked him for getting a hefty amount of money from his dad, challenging the narrative that he was a self-made man. And then attacking his business practices. The headline she was aiming for is Donald the Deadbeat. And then on the issue of Trump’s unreleased tax returns, when Clinton says that was because he may not have paid any taxes, Trump responded, “that makes me smart.” Expect to hear more about this.

Clinton was clearly the policy expert, nimbly jumping from topic to topic, policy to policy. But she was also much more able to paint a big picture than I have seen in times past. I thought she was particularly effective on the issue of race and especially the birther lie against President Obama. She had the facts on her side, but also it was an effective appeal to fire up her base.
In the end, more than all of the specifics, I was struck by how unprecedented was the overall tenor - matching that of the campaign. We once held certain truths to be "self-evident" - that "all men are created equal" and "they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." These were the lofty ideals that served as a rallying cry for the founders of these United States to choose liberty over tyranny. The man who wrote these words, Thomas Jefferson, and his compatriots were imperfect and in some cases deeply flawed men. Yet their idealism fixed a North Star in our democratic firmament that has guided our ship of state ever since, with some very noted moral detours. Now I fear that the tide of progress is rapidly receding with the fierce undertow of a looming tsunami.

Our Founders believed in reason and the power of intellect. Donald Trump made clear tonight by his wilful ignorance of important issues that he does not. Our founders feared the accumulation of power, they loathed vanity, and tried to build in protections against the demagogues who would appeal to mankind's basest instincts.
Last edited by redcarpet on 27 Sep 2016 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
By Zagadka
Maybe he just needs to yell angrily louder.

Fact checking:

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37480990

EDIT

It isn't an internet poll 30 minutes after, but...

Asia stocks, Mexico peso bounce as markets score one for Clinton
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-globa ... SKCN11X012
did anyone get an impression that Trump's mic was off?
No, it's just yet another Trump lie. He has an excuse for everything. He's like a spoiled little child, sometimes.
It looks like the general consensus is that Hillary out preformed Trump. She got a small but notable bump in the markets immediately after the debates. But really it doesn't matter or change anything. Did anyone actually think that either Clinton's or Trump's supporters would flip after the debate? In this election, even leaners are pretty well dug in. There's really no room in the electorate for any real shift from one candidate to another. It is what it is and it's not going to change significantly one way or the other.
Clinton had the poise you'd expect of someone with her experience and she did seem more commanding than Trump. But I do feel the moderator was putting more pressure on Trump than Clinton, which you can see in the number of direct questions that received from the moderator: 15 vs 2. Additionally, I suspect Trump is saving a lot of his ammo for the second or third debate as he made no mention of the Clinton foundation and various other scandals that would have forced Clinton on the back foot.

So yeah, I'll give this round to Clinton but I think she got off light and I believe Trump could easily push back. Plus, he does seem to have more popular support according to various polls, so he hasn't come off too bad even if I personally feel he lost (albeit marginally).
jessupjonesjnr87 wrote:Well what happened, who own, is Hillary still alive?

Lol Trump got smacked around like a little bitch and the audience burst into laughter at the end when, after punching himself in the balls for a good sixty minutes in front of 80+ million people, Trump had the balls to say that he has a better temperament than Hillary.

@The Immortal Goon, apparently viewership did not decline during the second half. People who tuned in stayed tuned in.
SpecialOlympian wrote:apparently viewership did not decline during the second half. People who tuned in stayed tuned in.

Doesn't surprise me. The next morning (today) the internet has been Slaughterhouse Trump. And rightfully so, after the first third when his retainers could have defended him, the wheels came off.

Even after he should have let it go. Today Trump doubled-down on calling a Miss Universe candidate too fat and ugly.

This, combined with also making fun of her for being Latina, should really have him score well in the suburban female demographic he's trying to break into.
Highlights of the debate for me:

T: "By the end of this night I'm going to be blamed for every problem that ever happened."

C: "Why not?"

LOL

T: "My ten year old grandson, he's very good with computers. He's great with the cyber."

C: "Trump tweeted about Iranian citizens who were taunting American troops. He said that he would have bombed them. That would start a war."

T: "No it wouldn't."

T: "And where was Clinton? At home."

C: "Yes, I was preparing for the debates. Just like I'm prepared to be president of the United States."

Or my favorite:

T: *going on a stupid rant*

C: *smiling from ear to ear*
The Immortal Goon wrote:Even after he should have let it go. Today Trump doubled-down on calling a Miss Universe candidate too fat and ugly.

Trump is incapable of letting anything go, and it was fun watching Hillary use that against him.

I mean it's been known for a while now that Trump supported invading Iraq, and that this was on a long interview on Howard Stern (it was actually pretty funny that they were trying to avoid mentioning Stern for a bit), and Trump just kept fighting it. He should have just said, "I'm a New Yorker, and at the time I was a private citizen who believed his president, and in light of 9/11 I thought invading Iraq was justified at the time."
The biggest thing for me is that basically bragged about the fact that he weaseled his way to the top, taking advantage of every loophole he could get away with to avoid taxes, screw his customers, and profit from misery. Even that might be forgivable if he actually intended to close those loopholes and make it harder for others to do what he did, but instead he expects us to trust big business with our economy by deregulating them and slashing their taxes. Yeah, great argument, buddy.
"It was tremendous, believe me. Many smart people are coming up to me and saying that book tour was the best one that they had ever seen. We sold an unbelievable amount of copies. Everybody loved it. People from all over were congratulating me on how many books we sold. It really had nothing to do with the white house. If I wanted, we could have had the best presidency. But I wanted to sell books, and it was great. Believe me."
Paradigm wrote:The biggest thing for me is that basically bragged about the fact that he weaseled his way to the top, taking advantage of every loophole he could get away with to avoid taxes, screw his customers, and profit from misery. Even that might be forgivable if he actually intended to close those loopholes and make it harder for others to do what he did, but instead he expects us to trust big business with our economy by deregulating them and slashing their taxes. Yeah, great argument, buddy.

For everyone watching the debate and is sufficiently intelligent, this was the crack in Trump's facade. He admitted to screwing over customers and his own employees. He seemed to even take a perverse sense of pride in fucking over a contractor or whoever Hillary or Lester Holt noted was some guy who helped build part of a country club or golf course he owns in Florida (I can't remember exactly what the property was, but it was in Florida). And that was just some of the business things he did that he openly admitted. He bragged about not paying much of anything in the way of taxes, as if the rest of us have the ability to ever do the same.

It was unbelievably disgusting to basically see a fat pig boast about how he not only fucks over customers and employees, but can exploit loopholes to not pay taxes the rest of us do, and that he thinks we should give even more money and tax breaks to people like him, while everyone else gets nothing.

Hillary's response, again to anyone intelligent enough to absorb this stuff, about how we should help reduce the burden of debt for college students to make it easier for anyone to go to college and get a better education, and other things to help people who aren't obscenely wealthy, was a really good response.

Regardless of Hillary's weaknesses and the things she said which were lies (the Iran/nuclear bomb claim comes to mind), those things Trump said pretty much showed his true colors for anyone paying attention. Trump was definitely the more aggressive debater and to anyone who wasn't really listening to what they were saying, but how they were behaving, he probably seemed to have won by being true to form: a boorish loudmouth. To anyone listening to what they were saying, Trump came off as Biff from Back to the Future 2.

@FiveofSwords " black " Genetically[…]

That is interesting why do you think that is? It[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You already have enough problems with reality. :[…]

Should schools have books on phrenology, astrolog[…]