SpaceX unveils interplanetary transportation system - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

If they can make the vertical landings and takeoffs ultra-reliable, then I see no issues here. Would allow for decent frequency of launches without existing orbital infrastructure (it would be ideal if ship could refuel from large station in orbit).

Also top speed at 100,000km/h and cruise implies the journey will take ~200 days. Not pleasant in zero g, I see no centrifuge to help alleviate the effects of zero g on bodies of passengers. By the time they get to Mars even with 1/3rd earth gravity they will struggle to walk. Perhaps robotic exoskeletons can help them regain initial mobility and allow them to acclimatize and regain muscle mass slowly.

Scale:

When I get my hands on a cool 10 billion dollars I will sign up :D

And a way home would be nice to. Imagine being born on Mars, not knowing the full potential of your body in its natural environment. :|
I think you will be able to apply to some kind of lottery to become a passenger. One way ticket (for the most part) and probable death sentence for the first few batches (100 people can be shipped per launch).

This kind of vessel could easily carry a few year's worth of vital supplies for 100 people. So the launches would need to be steady, with replenishment launches between. Of course oxygen and water production would have to be set up within the first year, with the initial launch. Energy would be easy, initially solar panels from ship and then portable fission reactors.

Risky, but quite the adventure!
SpaceX doesn't have the money for this and Mars colonization is not something NASA has a mandate (or the money) for.

No surface systems have been shown by Musk, in fact he didn't even talk about how humans are supposed to reproduce or live healthy in partial gravity.

Musk is either very good at marketing or has gone nuts.
As Rugoz said.
To colonize mars we need terraforming technology, and since we cant fix earth eco problems, i doubt we can yet do it on mars.
Then ofcourse to colonize mars you need equipment and resources, not only a 200 day trip there isn't efficient or close to get enough there.
But also the resources cant possibly be provided by a private bussiness, it needs governments. and not one government rather all of them in combined effort to provide the required resources.

That without considering the gravity, atmosphere, electromagnatic field, type of soil, etc of mars.
Those alone are huge problems to be dealt with.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]