It was isn racist for Anyone to ask to see the birth certificate of a President of the United States - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Nothing racist about it

In order to be President of the United States, you must be able to prove your American Citizenship.

This happened once before some old time President was accused of being n born in Canada, much upsetness about it..... and he was not a person of colour !

Anyone who is an avid history buff can find out more about it !
other presidents or possible Presidents presented the same types of problems and no oe accused anyone of racism:
Here’s a look at five other birthplace controversies, going back to the original birther debate in 1880.

Chester Alan Arthur

In 1880, Arthur ran as the vice presidential candidate on the James Garfield ticket for the Republican Party. Arthur became President after Garfield’s death in 1881 and there were rumors – spread by campaign rivals – that Arthur had been born in Canada, and not Vermont, as he claimed.

Arthur’s father was born in Ireland and his mother was born in the United States. If Arthur was born in Canada, his opponents claimed, there was a citizenship issue.

Marquette Law professor J. Gordon Hylton pointed out in a 2009 blog post that if Arthur was born in Canada “he was technically foreign-born, and in 1829, citizenship in such cases passed to the child only if the father was a United States citizen, and, of course, at this point Arthur’s father was still a citizen of the British Empire.”

Charles Evans Hughes

There was also a birthplace controversy over the 1916 presidential candidacy of Charles Evans Hughes, the Republican who narrowly lost to Woodrow Wilson.

There were claims that Hughes was ineligible for office because his father was born in the British Empire in Wales. Hughes was born in Glen Falls, New York, and his mother was also born in New York state; he was also born before the 14th Amendment was ratified. An attorney, Breckinridge Long, apparently challenged Hughes’ qualifications in a 1916 Chicago Legal News article.

Barry Goldwater

The 1964 Republican presidential candidate was born in the Arizona Territory in 1909 before Arizona was admitted as a state. Goldwater was born in an organized incorporated territory that was formed in 1863, an act that is interpreted to grant U.S. citizenship to folks born there.

For more on the citizenship distinction between incorporated and unincorporated territories, see the recent news coverage about the efforts of American Samoa residents to become full American citizens.

George Romney

As a candidate for the 1968 presidency, Romney faced questions because he was born in Chihuahua, Mexico in 1907 at a Mormon colony. His parents were born in the Utah Territory before Utah became a state, and they were American citizens. Romney’s parents chose United States citizenship for their son. The Romneys left Mexico when George Romney was very young, due to the Mexican Revolution.

Democrats questioned Romney’s ability to run for President in 1967 when congressman Emmanuel Celler, a Democrat, publicly expressed “serious doubts” about Romney’s eligibility. A New York Law Journal article later sided with Romney, who insisted he was a natural-born citizen.

John McCain

Senator McCain faced questions in the 2008 election, since he was born in the Panama Canal Zone in 1936. His parents were born in Iowa and Oklahoma. McCain’s father was a Navy admiral.

In addition to having two parents who were American citizens, McCain was born in a region that was under the control of a United States treaty agreement, which was considered as a sovereign United States territory.

In 2008, Tribe and Theodore Olsen, another well-known legal expert, wrote in a law journal article that “the circumstances of Senator McCain’s birth satisfy the original meaning and intent of the Natural Born Citizen Clause, as confirmed by subsequent legal precedent and historical practice.”

Still, there was on-going talk during the McCain campaign on the Internet that the Senator wasn’t eligible for the White House, which led to several unsuccessful lawsuits. The Senate passed a nonbinding resolution declaring McCain as eligible to be President.

[b]I rest my case !

[/
b]
The case is that its stupid to argue over proven facts even when its hardly of any importance.
The debate over the birth certificate was over years ago, and not only that but his time is over.
Yet there are people still dumb enough to consider this as the most important issue when the nation is struggling.
That is the definition of stupidity.
(At least at a national level) the whole "Obama is not a proper American" meme was started by the Clintons in 2007/8. Fairly quickly though the they realised that in the 2008 Democratic party, not being a real American was a plus. A secret Gay, Muslim, illegal immigrant, who hob nobbled with the Weathermen and White hating Black Pasteurs was just about the dream candidate for the 2008 Democratic Party. This was very different from earlier in their careers when the Clintons played the race card to great advantage, while still managing to keep the Blacks on side.

Hilary Clinton will tell you to your face in front of a national audience that Black is White. If five minutes later she get the word from the focus groups in her ear piece that Black is White is not going down to well, she'll tell you that Black is black. And then she'll happily sit there for the next half telling you point blank to your face that she never said Black is White.
Asking that a presidential candidate validate that they satisfy the requirements to actually be president (minimum age of 35, AMERICAN birth, filed the correct forms to get on the ballot, etc.) isn't racist.

The part where you refuse to believe the birth certificate is valid and that Obama is a Muslim terrorist sleeper agent born in Kenya is the racist part.
On the surface, it's of course not racist to verify someone's birth details. However, when it came down to Obama and McCain, or Obama and Romney, there was an inordinate focus on Obama's birth and citizenship "status" by people on the right (and some in the center, like Hillary, back in 2007/2008), despite the fact McCain was born in Panama, and Romney's family has strong roots in Mexico stretching back a century.

So-called "Birther" groups didn't question McCain's legitimacy of not having been born in the US (even if he was a natural born citizen), but Obama's was questioned, even though his birth certificate was on record and everyone knew he was born in the US. They didn't question Romney's "links" to Mexico and whether that would make him "compromised" as a president, but Obama's "links" to Islam, people in Kenya, and people in Indonesia were questioned and used to try to argue he wasn't really American but in fact someone whose roots and interests were un-American.

It takes a lot of balls for the OP to do the *wink wink giggle giggle* and actually try to argue that the Republican focus on Obama's citizenship/birth status wasn't racist in nature.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Asking that a presidential candidate validate that they satisfy the requirements to actually be president (minimum age of 35, AMERICAN birth, filed the correct forms to get on the ballot, etc.) isn't racist.

The part where you refuse to believe the birth certificate is valid and that Obama is a Muslim terrorist sleeper agent born in Kenya is the racist part.

Who stated that Obama is a Muslim terrorist sleeper agent born in Kenya ???

Please tell me I have a feeling that this has become the assumption of those that would like to stir up trouble based on fantasy rather then facts !

Who said it?

And when ?

Exactly, please !
Of course its racist to discriminate against people not born as Americans, just like the Royal family in Britain is racist with its even more restricted criteria. This is Blut und Boden racism. I don't have a fundamental issue with racism although of course I don't like things that discriminate against me as the POTUS rules do. What I find particularly disgusting racist and disgusting is the suggestion that White people are the sole or the main racists. Whites are the least racist race the Earth has ever seen. Whether that has a genetic or an epi genetic cause is of course open to debate.
Rich wrote:Of course its racist to discriminate against people not born as Americans, just like the Royal family in Britain is racist with its even more restricted criteria. This is Blut und Boden racism. I don't have a fundamental issue with racism although of course I don't like things that discriminate against me as the POTUS rules do. What I find particularly disgusting racist and disgusting is the suggestion that White people are the sole or the main racists. Whites are the least racist race the Earth has ever seen. Whether that has a genetic or an epi genetic cause is of course open to debate.

[u]It is NOT racist to expect the President of the United States to prove that he is an American in order to qualify for the JOB !
[/
u]
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]