Today Trump has posted a series of tweets criticising China. Is this the best way to negotiate? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
US President-elect Donald Trump has posted a series of tweets criticising China for its monetary policy and its operations in the South China Sea.
"Did China ask us if it was OK to devalue their currency" and "build a massive military complex?" he asked. "I don't think so!"
Last week Mr Trump risked a diplomatic rift with China by speaking directly with Taiwan's president.
The highly unusual move saw China lodge a complaint with the US.
■ Trump-Taiwan call: Why China lodged its protest
■ Carrie Gracie: Trump's Taiwan call will stun Beijing
■ What's behind the China-Taiwan divide?
The US has previously criticised China's yuan devaluation, saying it unfairly favours Chinese exporters.
It has also told Beijing to stop reclaiming land around islands and reefs which are claimed by multiple countries in the South China Sea, and has sent US Navy ships to the area. Both sides have accused each other of "militarising" the region.
China has said its land reclamation efforts are for civilian purposes.
■ Why is the South China Sea contentious?
■ Why China devalues the yuan
The US currently imposes tariffs on some Chinese imports, such as steel and tyres. Mr Trump has previously threatened to impose a 45% tariff on Chinese goods.
'Courtesy call'
Mr Trump's phone call with Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen was thought to be the first time a US leader or leader-in waiting has spoken to a Taiwanese leader since 1979, the year formal ties were severed.
The White House has said the phone call did not signal a shift in its decades-long "One China" policy stance, which considers Taiwan to be part of China.
Vice President-elect Mike Pence has tried to downplay the call.
In an interview with NBC News on Sunday, he said it was a "tempest in a teapot" and added: "I think I would just say to our counterparts in China that this was a moment of courtesy."
Beijing lodged a "solemn representation" with Washington, where it urged the US to "cautiously and properly handle" the issue of Taiwan, according to Chinese state media.
Taiwan sees itself as an independent state but Beijing considers it as a breakaway province.
It has hundreds of missiles pointing towards Taiwan, and has threatened to use force if Taiwan formally declares independence

BBC

In what sense does it show a lack of judgement? Trump has positioned himself as someone who is going to stand up to China and moves like this will help him establish credibility in that, even if they are ultimately just empty Tweets. We all know a Sino-US conflict is inevitable anyway, so why not make political capital out of it?
China at the moment is dumping rocks into the ocean and calling them islands. China cannot defend them. Chinas' navy is a joke, with one old aircraft carrier that it can barely operate. If there is a real confrontation with the US, it would be a nightmare scenario with Trump playing to the US public via Twitter. Both sides not wanting to lose face.
China at the moment is dumping rocks into the ocean and calling them islands. China cannot defend them. Chinas' navy is a joke, with one old aircraft carrier that it can barely operate. If there is a real confrontation with the US, it would be a nightmare scenario with Trump playing to the US public via Twitter.

China creating the confrontations on islands near China plays to their military strength. On the open seas they don't have a chance against the US, but the closer you get to the China mainland, the less clear the result is.
Albert wrote:This is excellent news, China needs to be put in place, this is long time overdue. I hope Trump can set up things where USA and rest of the world does not get screwed by the Chinese and business elite.

The day the illegitimate dictator like PRC government is overthrown, and the legitimate democratic ROC government returns triumphant from exile to the Mainland will be the greatest day in the history of Asian politics....

I am very happy Trump took the first steps.... He has allowed us supporters of the Kuomintang to dream...

After so many years, it will be as sweet a moment as when Saddam's statue got torn down....
^ Any government supported by colonial (former) powers is automatically illegitimate, so keep crying foul, happiest day for Asia will be when all last vestiges of imperialism is thrown away and not its opposite. The illegitimate bastardized traitorous government of ROC which has only survived with the support of former colonial powers who for centuries brutalized and humiliated China will soon be destroyed, such traitors deserve no better fate. :)

Anyhow we will show them Chinese, one tweet at a time. :lol:
One Degree wrote:China creating the confrontations on islands near China plays to their military strength. On the open seas they don't have a chance against the US, but the closer you get to the China mainland, the less clear the result is.

Is Putin rubbing his hands together with glee?

colliric wrote: The day the illegitimate dictator like PRC government is overthrown, and the legitimate democratic ROC government returns triumphant from exile to the Mainland will be the greatest day in the history of Asian politics....

There would be WW3 before this would happen. (You know what Einstein said about WW4).

USSR backed down in the Cuban Missile Crisis, we might not be that fortunate with USA and China..Luckily we haven't reach that situation yet.

Last edited by anarchist23 on 05 Dec 2016 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Trump is not negotiating with China; he's tying the hands of the poor sod who becomes his Secretary of State. By stirring up shit before they even take office, Trump is ensuring that the SoS will spend most of his time trying to repair relations, so that the SoS cannot achieve anything he could take credit for. In the mean time, Trump looks tough for his fans.
Americans complaining about Chinese economic expansion and competition, and the Chinese currency plays and trade deficit shows just how poorly Americans understand how the world works.
The trade deficit isn't because China is "all bad and evil" and its ruining your economy, its because you're too incompotent to run a successful manufactoring and productive industries, while they are.
anasawad wrote:Americans complaining about Chinese economic expansion and competition, and the Chinese currency plays and trade deficit shows just how poorly Americans understand how the world works.
The trade deficit isn't because China is "all bad and evil" and its ruining your economy, its because you're too incompotent to run a successful manufactoring and productive industries, while they are.

You are wrong. They are evil for being hungry and being willing (forced really) to work for food money. Clearly unacceptable.
A major US military build-up – including nuclear weapons – is under way in Asia and the Pacific with the purpose of confronting China. John Pilger raises the alarm on an under-reported and dangerous provocation.

When I first went to Hiroshima in 1967, the shadow on the steps was still there. It was an almost perfect impression of a human being at ease: legs splayed, back bent, one hand by her side as she sat waiting for a bank to open. At a quarter past eight on the morning of 6 August, 1945, she and her silhouette were burned into the granite. I stared at the shadow for an hour or more, unforgettably. When I returned many years later, it was gone: taken away, ‘disappeared’, a political embarrassment.

I have spent two years making a documentary film, The Coming War on China, in which the evidence and witnesses warn that nuclear war is no longer a shadow, but a contingency. The greatest build-up of American-led military forces since the Second World War is well under way. They are on the western borders of Russia, and in Asia and the Pacific, confronting China.

The great danger this beckons is not news, or it is news buried and distorted: a drumbeat of propaganda that echoes the psychopathic campaign embedded in public consciousness during much of the 20th century.

Like the renewal of post-Soviet Russia, the rise of China as an economic power is declared an ‘existential threat’ to the divine right of the United States to rule and dominate human affairs.

To counter this, in 2011 President Obama announced a ‘pivot to Asia’, which meant that almost two-thirds of US naval forces would be transferred to Asia and the Pacific by 2020.

Today, more than 400 American military bases encircle China with missiles, bombers, warships and, above all, nuclear weapons. From Australia north through the Pacific to Japan, Korea and across Eurasia to Afghanistan and India, the bases form, says one US strategist, ‘the perfect noose’.

A study by the RAND Corporation – which, since Vietnam, has planned America’s wars – is entitled War with China: Thinking Through the Unthinkable. Commissioned by the US Army, the authors evoke the Cold War when RAND made notorious the catch cry of its chief strategist, Herman Kahn – ‘thinking the unthinkable’. Kahn’s book, On Thermonuclear War, elaborated a plan for a ‘winnable’ nuclear war against the Soviet Union.

Today, his apocalyptic view is shared by those holding real power in the US: the Pentagon militarists and their neoconservative collaborators in the executive, intelligence agencies and Congress. The current Secretary of Defense, Ashley Carter, a verbose provocateur, says US policy is to confront those ‘who see America’s dominance and want to take that away from us’.

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]