US national security aides talking of "Polish incursions in Belarus" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

This is an odd section of an Associated Press report that security commenters on Twitter have picked up, typically with 'WTF???' added:

On foreign policy, Trump still speaking campaign language

Some early moves by Trump officials have given hints about their priorities — and raised concerns within the administration.

Senior officials have been soliciting guidance from national security agencies on how to improve relations with Russia, asking what Washington could offer Moscow and what Trump should seek from Russian President Vladimir Putin. Tillerson requested a briefing on moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, one of Trump's campaign promises.

According to one U.S. official, national security aides have sought information about Polish incursions in Belarus, an eyebrow-raising request because little evidence of such activities appears to exist. Poland is among the Eastern European nations worried about Trump's friendlier tone on Russia.
https://apnews.com/9a5a5fbbb2ba45b2b9316e1734ec22eb

There isn't anything more about Poland or Belarus (and hardly anything about Russia either) in the article, and no one can think what this could be referring to.

With our international coverage here, can anyone suggest what this means? Could this be a leak designed to misdirect, and if so, in what way?
:lol: Bannon is now flooding the National Security Council with fake news ...

This sounds like a classical fake news substitution tactic, in which bad news is substituted by neutral of good news:

Bad news: Russia has been shelling Ukraine after Trump's phone call to Putin
Substitution news: Polish incursion into Belarus

Both have "Rus" in it as an element of truth and Poland is on our side, so nothing to worry about Mr. President.
Frollein wrote:Perhaps they were confusing Belarus and Ukraine? I mean, Americans are kinda famous for that sort of thing...

Well hey, come on, Russia, Poland, all those places way over there are just different kinds of Russians, right, with scribbly-looking alphabets?
"unnamed source" "anonymous source"
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:"According to one US security official ..."

It's prudent to withhold judgement on the veracity of such claims for now I think.

Or anything like this.

Media is absolute shit, which is good because it's forcing people to re-learn how to think for themselves again.
Buried down in the AP story is the rather startling news that National Security Advisor Mike Flynn and his aides have been asking the national security agencies for ideas for how to improve relations with Russia and for evidence of "Polish incursions in Belarus."

Senior officials have been soliciting guidance from national security agencies on how to improve relations with Russia, asking what Washington could offer Moscow and what Trump should seek from Russian President Vladimir Putin. Tillerson requested a briefing on moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, one of Trump's campaign promises.

According to one U.S. official, national security aides have sought information about Polish incursions in Belarus, an eyebrow-raising request because little evidence of such activities appears to exist. Poland is among the Eastern European nations worried about Trump's friendlier tone on Russia.

I don't patrol the Poland/Belarus border myself. But I have not heard and I don't think anyone has heard that such is happening. It is however the kind of thing you would expect to hear from Russian propaganda sources, a hostile Poland menacing its neighbors to the east.

Deeply Disturbing

That does make sense. The Russian connection feeding news into the Trump election campaign hasn't been cut. Why should it after it's been so useful? Now Putin is feeding fake news into the Trump team at the White House, and Bannon is feeding it into the National Security Council of the USA.

If we cut out the middlemen and let Putin run the White House directly we reduce the potential for misunderstanding, which would make the world a saver place.
Bridgeburner wrote:"unnamed source" "anonymous source"

Or anything like this.

Media is absolute shit, which is good because it's forcing people to re-learn how to think for themselves again.

The media is only part of the problem. I think it's quite plausible that there are a substantial number of civil servants in the executive who are prepared to obstruct and fight the Trump administration from within. That's where "draining the swamp" is probably most relevant and it's also the reason why at this point "leaks" are to be regarded with even more scepticism than usual.

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]