In call with Putin, Trump denounced Obama-era nuclear arms treaty - sources - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Reuters wrote:In call with Putin, Trump denounced Obama-era nuclear arms treaty - sources

In his first call as president with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump denounced a treaty that caps U.S. and Russian deployment of nuclear warheads as a bad deal for the United States, according to two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official with knowledge of the call.

When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

Trump then told Putin the treaty was one of several bad deals negotiated by the Obama administration, saying that New START favored Russia. Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said.

The White House declined to comment on the details of the call. White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Trump knew what the New START treaty is but had turned to his aides for an opinion during the call with Putin. He said the notes from the call would not have conveyed that.

"I would say they had a very productive call," Spicer told reporters. He added, "It wasn't like he didn’t know what was being said. He wanted an opinion on something."

It has not been previously reported that Trump had conveyed his doubt about New START to Putin in the hour-long call.

New START gives both countries until February 2018 to reduce their deployed strategic nuclear warheads to no more than 1,550, the lowest level in decades. It also limits deployed land- and submarine-based missiles and nuclear-capable bombers.

During a debate in the 2016 presidential election, Trump said Russia had "outsmarted" the United States with the treaty, which he called "START-Up." He asserted incorrectly then that it had allowed Russia to continue to produce nuclear warheads while the United States could not.

Two Democratic members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, senators Jeanne Shaheen and Edward J. Markey, criticized Trump for deriding what they called a key nuclear arms control accord.

“It’s impossible to overstate the negligence of the president of the United States not knowing basic facts about nuclear policy and arms control,” Shaheen said in a statement. "New START has unquestionably made our country safer, an opinion widely shared by national security experts on both sides of the aisle."

Daryl Kimball, the executive director of the Arms Control Association, a Washington-based advocacy group, said: "Unfortunately, Mr. Trump appears to be clueless about the value of this key nuclear risk reduction treaty and the unique dangers of nuclear weapons."

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said he supported the treaty during his Senate confirmation hearings.

During the hearings Tillerson said it was important for the United States to "stay engaged with Russia, hold them accountable to commitments made under the New START and also ensure our accountability as well."

Two of the people who described the conversation were briefed by current administration officials who read detailed notes taken during the call. One of the two was shown portions of the notes. A third source was also briefed on the call.

Reuters has not reviewed the notes taken of the call, which are classified.

The Kremlin did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

CONCERNS OVER PHONE CALLS

The phone call with Putin has added to concerns that Trump is not adequately prepared for discussions with foreign leaders.

Typically, before a telephone call with a foreign leader, a president receives a written in-depth briefing paper drafted by National Security Council staff after consultations with the relevant agencies, including the State Department, Pentagon and intelligence agencies, two former senior officials said.

Just before the call, the president also usually receives an oral "pre-briefing" from his national security adviser and top subject-matter aide, they said.

Trump did not receive a briefing from Russia experts with the NSC and intelligence agencies before the Putin call, two of the sources said. Reuters was unable to determine if Trump received a briefing from his national security adviser Michael Flynn.

In the phone call, the Russian leader raised the possibility of reviving talks on a range of disputes and suggested extending New START, the sources said.

New START can be extended for another five years, beyond 2021, by mutual agreement. Unless they agree to do that or negotiate new cuts, the world's two biggest nuclear powers would be freed from the treaty's limits, potentially setting the stage for a new arms race.

New START was ratified by the U.S. Senate in December 2010 by a vote of 71 to 26. Thirteen Republican senators joined all of the Senate’s Democrats in voting for the treaty, although Republican opponents derided it as naive.

The call with Putin was one of several with foreign leaders where Trump has turned to denounce deals negotiated by previous administrations on trade, acceptance of refugees and arms control.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-putin-idUSKBN15O2A5
No one sees this as incredibly reckless and dangerous stupidity? Good god.

If you mean the article, then yes. If you mean Trump, then no. I actually prefer a president who does not believe he has all the answers and seeks counsel. Based upon this article, we should only elect history professors as president.

On the surface, it would appear to make sense that you rely upon expert analysis. Except expert analysis is often simply currently accepted dogma. A little ignorance can be very invigorating for new ideas. Trump represents a cry for change. I love the idea that he can totally dismiss all the 'expertise' that has gone before. Every time I read about his ignorance, it increases my hopes for real change for the better. Our society is in need of a total shake up of 'norms'.
One Degree wrote:
On the surface, it would appear to make sense that you rely upon expert analysis. Except expert analysis is often simply currently accepted dogma. A little ignorance can be very invigorating for new ideas. Trump represents a cry for change. I love the idea that he can totally dismiss all the 'expertise' that has gone before. Every time I read about his ignorance, it increases my hopes for real change for the better. Our society is in need of a total shake up of 'norms'.

Are secret commie, I think that's only mindset for someone like you that sees trump as a positive. I see him as a acceleratist.
Tewodros III wrote:Are secret commie, I think that's only mindset for someone like you that sees trump as a positive. I see him as a acceleratist.

No secret. I support communal ownership on a local level, just not on a larger level. What does that make me, a small commie? :D
One Degree wrote:On the surface, it would appear to make sense that you rely upon expert analysis. Except expert analysis is often simply currently accepted dogma. A little ignorance can be very invigorating for new ideas. Trump represents a cry for change. I love the idea that he can totally dismiss all the 'expertise' that has gone before. Every time I read about his ignorance, it increases my hopes for real change for the better. Our society is in need of a total shake up of 'norms'.

Up to a point this true. Past that point very bad things begin to happen. Expertise should be available to decision makers, of course - and it accepted that the experts are only advisers. Trump's ignorance is not so much in his lack of knowledge, but his lack of critical facilities. He is a fan of Alex Jones and it shows; he believes all expertise is fake, and that his opinion of any question is just as good as the guy who has studied it for decades.

There are many areas in which expertise is critical. Our telecommunications and power systems. Water systems. The guy flying your plane for crissakes. Randomly poking a broom into the bees nest to see what happens is childish.

Why do we find it necessary to perform failure-mode experimentation in this case? It is a classic set-up for catastrophe, a la Chernobyl.
Why do we find it necessary to perform failure-mode experimentation in this case? It is a classic set-up for catastrophe, a la Chernobyl.

The current Liberal ideology is so ingrained as 'truth' that it can only be challenged by unconventional means. Whether Trump is capable of doing this, I have no idea, but it needs to be done. The catastrophe is blindly following a 'truth' that reality rejects. By this I am referring to the idea that individuals are of utmost importance and their rights should be considered above all else. This is a recipe for the disintegration of community which is the basis of civilized society. I don't expect anyone to accept this because as I said the opposite has already been too well implanted into their minds. Intelligent debate will not change it.

Trump and Biden have big differences on some issue[…]

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]