Are Alt-Right just pessimists? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Rugoz wrote:No they're just dumb a shit. It happens to some people.

That's not nice, Rugoz.

*Looks at Solar Cross' post*

Hmmm, well you might be onto something. :lol: :p
Rugoz wrote:No they're just dumb a shit. It happens to some people.

Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says study.
Children with low intelligence grow up to be prejudiced
Right-wing views make the less intelligent feel 'safe'

Right-wingers tend to be less intelligent than left-wingers, and people with low childhood intelligence tend to grow up to have racist and anti-gay views, says a controversial new study.
Conservative politics work almost as a 'gateway' into prejudice against others, say the Canadian academics.
The paper analysed large UK studies which compared childhood intelligence with political views in adulthood across more than 15,000 people.
The authors claim that people with low intelligence gravitate towards right-wing views because they make them feel safe.
The survey, which compared childhood intelligence with political views, is bad news for David Cameron, the Conservative Party Prime Minister but should give a lift to Labour Party leader, Ed Miliband, pictured in Question Time
Crucially, people's educational level is not what determines whether they are racist or not - it's innate intelligence, according to the academics.
Social status also appears to play no part.
The study, published in Psychological Science, claims that right-wing ideology forms a 'pathway' for people with low reasoning ability to become prejudiced against groups such as other races and gay people.
Left-wingers tend to be more open-minded says the survey - Democrats voted in first black U.S. president Barack Obama. But right-wing ideology forms a pathway for prejudice - Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney was glitter-bombed yesterday by gay-rights activists because of his views
'Cognitive abilities are critical in forming impressions of other people and in being open minded,' say the researchers.
'Individuals with lower cognitive abilities may gravitate towards more socially conservative right-wing ideologies that maintain the status quo.
'It provides a sense of order.'
The study, by academics at Brock University in Ontario, Canada, used information from two UK studies from 1958 and 1970 , where several thousand children were assessed for intelligence at age 10 and 11, and then asked political questions aged 33.
The 1958 National Child Development involved 4,267 men and 4,537 women born in 1958.
British Cohort Study involved 3,412 men and 3,658 women born in 1970.
It's the first time the data from these studies has been used in this way.
In adulthood, the children were asked whether they agreed with statements such as, 'I wouldn't mind working with people from other races,' and 'I wouldn't mind if a family of a different race moved next door.'
They were also asked whether they agreed with statements about typically right-wing and socially conservative politics such as, 'Give law breakers stiffer sentences,' and 'Schools should teach children to obey authority.'
The researchers also compared their results against a 1986 American study which included tests of cognitive ability and questions assessing prejudice against homosexuals.
The authors claim that there is a strong correlation between low intelligence both as a child and an adult, and right-wing politics.
The authors also claim that conservative politics is part of a complex relationship that leads people to become prejudices.
'Conservative ideology represents a critical pathway through which childhood intelligence predicts racism in adulthood,' says the paper.
'In psychological terms, the relation between intelligence and prejudice may stem from the propensity of individuals with lower cognitive ability to endorse more right wing conservative ideologies because such ideologies offer a psychological sense of stability and order.'
'Clearly, however, all socially conservative people are not prejudiced, and all prejudiced persons are not conservative.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z48C1KVLNv

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z48C162VPz
anarchist23 wrote:Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says study.

And all the people applaud who would totally dismiss a similar view of blacks and whites. :knife: It is total nonsense, but if it makes you feel better I guess it is okay.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:The IQ gap between the races is real but the liberals will do anything to deny that

Figure 1. World IQ map of indigenous populations (from Wikipedia).

http://www.honestthinking.org/en/pub/Ja ... Jensen.htm

aborigines are a great example despite living one of the most developed countries they have a horrendous IQ

How do you define race and why is your definition not completely arbritrary and subjective?

How do you conclude that the differences in IQ scores are caused by heritable factors and not other correlated demographic variables such as socio-economic status and education level?

If IQ scores are mostly or entirely down to 'race', how do you explain the fact that IQ scores have been rising and that blacks in the US on average score the same on IQ tests today as whites in the US on average did in the 1950s?
The IQ gap still exists today.

How do you conclude that the differences in IQ scores are caused by heritable factors and not other correlated demographic variables such as socio-economic status and education level?

Because Africa had achieved nothing until it was colonized by Europeans and if they werent colonized they would still live in the stone age

If IQ scores are mostly or entirely down to 'race', how do you explain the fact that IQ scores have been rising and that blacks in the US on average score the same on IQ tests today as whites in the US on average did in the 1950s?

not true

got any proof?
anarchist23 wrote:
Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says study.

Yes, a study that I can agree with.

Though from experience I have found that those of the Christian right are weaker in the maths and sciences than those with liberal educations. Liberals tend to be more enlightened and more open to new information and ideas. So I was already convinced that right-wingers are less intelligent. :D
The misuse of IQ testing is simply ridiculous. IQ doesn't show anything about inherent racial differences. It shows differences in a handful of skills that correlate to academic success. Skills that can be trained.

A kid with wealthy parents gets more attention, tutoring, better schooling, better food, and better overall healthcare. Which leads to being better at certain skills. Nothing about any of the skills tested by IQ tests are genetically programmed.

IQ is designed to identify children with special needs in the education system. It's not a biological test of some physical quality.
Agreed

Good food is simply over priced for low wage workers, sadly. But the critical thing, I think is the parents' attitude to learning. Parents who read to the kids, teach them stuff and encourage them to study and help their kids with their homework have a demonstrably higher chance of rearing successful kids

I am reminded of a story President Obama told. When they lived in Indonesia, his mom woke him at 4:30 am to tutor him in areas the local school system wasn't covering. He objected loudly, as any self respecting teen would, and his mom snapped back, "This isn't a walk in the park for me, either" (or some similar sentiment)

He did ok, right?
Zionist Nationalist wrote:The IQ gap still exists today.

Between 1972 and 2002 it closed by 4 to 7 points. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 06.01802.x

Because Africa had achieved nothing until it was colonized by Europeans and if they werent colonized they would still live in the stone age

That does not answer my question. How do you conclude that the differences in IQ scores are caused by heritable factors and not other correlated demographic variables such as socio-economic status and education level?

not true

got any proof?

It's called the Flynn effect and it's well documented.
Owsley wrote:It's called the Flynn effect and it's well documented.

IQ is rising in many parts of the world. What's behind the change and does it really mean people are cleverer than their grandparents?
It is not unusual for parents to comment that their children are brainier than they are. In doing so, they hide a boastful remark about their offspring behind a self-deprecating one about themselves. But a new study, published in the journal Intelligence, provides fresh evidence that in many cases this may actually be true.
The researchers - Peera Wongupparaj, Veena Kumari and Robin Morris at Kings College London - did not themselves ask anyone to sit an IQ test, but they analysed data from 405 previous studies. Altogether, they harvested IQ test data from more than 200,000 participants, captured over 64 years and from 48 countries.
Focusing on one part of the IQ test, the Raven's Progressive Matrices, they found that on average intelligence has risen the equivalent of 20 IQ points since 1950. IQ tests are designed to ensure that the average result is always 100, so this is a significant jump.
The gains have not been evenly spread. IQ has generally increased more rapidly in developing countries, with the biggest leaps seen in China and India. Progress in the developed world has been chequered - the data seem to indicate steady increases in the US, for example, but a decline in the UK...........
If Americans today took the tests from a century ago, Flynn says, they would have an extraordinarily high average IQ of 130. And if the Americans of 100 years ago took today's tests, they would have an average IQ of 70 - the recognised cut-off for people with intellectual disabilities. To put it another way, IQ has been rising at roughly three points per decade.

anarchist23 wrote:Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says study.

With "dumb" I don't necessarily mean low IQ.

I mean ignorance, simplistic world view, unwillingness to engage in meaningful debate etc.
My question is where these IQ tests are being taken from? It's useless to make a graph about IQ tests if it has no sources that can be academically verified. Peer-review process is important. It lets us know if the generalization of IQ for an entire country is being made based on the test results of, for instance, a special needs school. Also it would allow us to analyze demographics to see what the differences within groups are. What if it were found, for instance, that affluent Africans scored just as high or higher on IQ tests? Well then this would be a very relevant piece of information completely left out by generalizing an entire people based on a few test results.

Use better sources, conduct better studies, and stop advocating for certain ideologies and people might take you seriously. The fact that the original article linked states that we need "more race realism" tells you that they came into that article with a conclusion and cherry-picked data to support it. Data that may or may not be valid since they had no proper works cited page/bibliography.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:The IQ gap between the races is real but the liberals will do anything to deny that

Figure 1. World IQ map of indigenous populations (from Wikipedia).

http://www.honestthinking.org/en/pub/Ja ... Jensen.htm

aborigines are a great example despite living one of the most developed countries they have a horrendous IQ

On I.Q. in the U.S.: While the measured I.Q. in the U.S. has changed, improved slightly, the 1 sd gap between Whites and Blacks has remained stable. African Americans are about 20% White which explains the I.Q. difference between them and their Sub-Saharan cousins.
Rugoz wrote:Wait what?

With libertarians or neo-cons you could at least have a half-way intelligent debate. Similarly with fascists or good old racists like Dave.

The alt-right is just pathetic.

It is true that some of the foot soldiers of the Alt Right don't make for the most stimulating intellectual company, but the same could be said for 1917 Bolsheviks and don't believe that even the Viet Cong cadre always really knew their Hegel. However there is genius behind the Alt Right, turning the tools of Cultural Marxism and Post Structuralism against their creators.

And even the Donald himself:

That was pure comedic genius worthy of the greats. Even Hilary, sour puss that she is, had to stop herself from laughing. Or as Bob Monkhouse said, they laughed when I said I was going to become President, they're not laughing now. Examine Trump closely, is Trump not The Anti-Derrida?
That does not answer my question. How do you conclude that the differences in IQ scores are caused by heritable factors and not other correlated demographic variables such as socio-economic status and education level?

There is a reason why Africa was a still living in the stone age until the 19th century (when the white man arrived)

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/10/ ... -do-school
Zionist Nationalist wrote:There is a reason why Africa was a still living in the stone age until the 19th century (when the white man arrived)

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/10/ ... -do-school

This article just says that 62% of the difference in test scores can be attributed to genetics. This is based upon twin testing. This dismisses all other differences that affect intelligence and simply zeroes in on the one they want to highlight. It is meaningless. Just because there is a difference in twins does not mean the difference is genetic.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A good discussion here with Norman Finkelstein and[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

ISIS wants to create a division between Chechens […]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]