I.D.F soldier sentenced to 18 months for killing wounded Palestinian. - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

noir wrote:He probably didn't say so.

Wrong again.

October 25, 1990

SYDNEY, Australia (Oct. 24)

Nelson Mandela’s harsh attack on Israel at the start of his three-day visit to Australia has angered and alienated Australian Jewry.

The deputy president of the African National Congress likened Israel to a “terrorist state” and reiterated his often expressed solidarity with the Palestine Liberation Organization at a news conference on his arrival in Canberra on Tuesday.

“We identify with them because we do not believe it is right for the Israeli government to suppress basic human rights in the conquered territories.” Mandela declared.

He accused Israel of “slaughtering defenseless, innocent Arabs.”

In response, the New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies withdrew from an ecumenical service at which Mandela will be honored.

The Executive Council of Australian Jewry, the umbrella body of Australian Jewish organizations, announced it had no plans to participate in any functions honoring the anti-apartheid leader.

Mandela’s remarks seemed likely to shatter the delicate truce he reached with the American Jewish leaders he met in Geneva on June 10, shortly before his visit to the United States.

On that occasion, Mandela said he was sorry if any of his past statements on Israel had offended Jews. He said he hoped to visit Israel soon and looked froward to good relations between Israel and the new democratic state that would soon emerge in South Africa.

The Geneva meeting, described as “warm, friendly and cordial,” was credited with averting protest demonstrations against Mandela by American Jewish groups during his U.S. tour.

Yet in the United States, Mandela dismayed Jews sympathetic to his anti-apartheid cause by public references to PLO leader Yasir Arafat as a “comrade in arms.”

He told the Australian news media, “We agree with the United Nations that international disputes should be settled by peaceful means. The belligerent attitude which is adopted by the Israeli government is to us unacceptable.”

Mandela said the ANC does not consider the PLO a terrorist group, adding: “If one has to refer to any of the parties as a terrorist state, one might refer to the Israeli government, because they are the people who are slaughtering defenseless and innocent Arabs in the occupied territories, and we don’t regard that as acceptable.”

His comments were denounced by Gerry Levy, president of the New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies.

“His claim that Israel slaughters the defenseless and innocent is not only unacceptable and offensive, but totally untrue,” said Levy.

Leslie Caplan, president of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, said his own struggle against apartheid, which began 30 years ago, would not diminish. But he did not equate the cause of the ANC with the cause of the blacks of South Africa, Caplan said.

Mandela meanwhile said he “unreservedly” supported Zionism insofar as it meant a Jewish state within secure borders. But he opposed Zionism “when it meant deprivation of human rights in the occupied territories.”

JTA
JohnRawls wrote:@skinster

We have talked about this ad neusium already Skinsterina.

Better question what do you find an acceptable solution? 1948 borders ? If yes then how can you guarantee that Israel will not get attacked by Hamas/any other militant group for the matter? How can you guarantee that other Arab states will recognise Israel? How can you guarantee Iran won't support external forces against Israel or any other country for that matter?

We have debated things but you continue to not understand the situation at all and regurgitate zionist spin that's easily demolished. To assume this is a fight between equals is mostly where you go wrong, it's the equivalent of stating a rapist and his victim are equals.

There's the colonizer and the colonized. There's the aggressor and the victim. One side ethnically cleansed hundreds of thousands of the other since it invaded the land 7 decades ago, to create a state on top of the other. One side continues to occupying the other. One side denies basic human rights to the other while imprisoning close to 2 million of the other in what amounts to a modern day concentration camp, etc. etc. etc.

For you to then cry victim for the aggressor makes you appear like an ignorant dolt of the highest order. I put full stops in my first paragraph in an attempt to help that information sink in to you, though at this stage you're probably too far gone to ever accept the facts of this so-called conflict.

An acceptable solution for the time being would be for Israel to stop occupying and blockading Palestinians and giving them the same rights Israelis enjoy. Hamas became an organization decades after Israel was occupying Gaza, so that might give you an inkling into why that resistance organization became a thing. Who cares if the Arab states do or don't recognize Israel, it's already recognized and propped up by world powers and even shares an alliance with Saudi Arabia these days, mostly because of their shared values. :D

noir wrote:The quote is from 1943, before the Palestinians invented themselves as progressive cause. At that time they were on the fascist camp.

Pongo, you posted from some rabbi's blog. Bertrand Russell never said what you claims he did. He didn't support colonialism. Try again.

Ter wrote:Of course people can repeat the mantra "Apartheid" as often as they like, that does not change anything.

It definitely doesn't change the fact that Israel is a racist, apartheid state. :D

As for the BDS activist yada-yada, unsure why it's news when Israel already said it wouldn't allow BDS activists to enter Israel or the Palestinian territories a while ago.

More BDS fun tho:
Yes Pongo, I google'd that again and it goes straight back to the same one source of the rabbi you posted.

Oh look, noir/Pongo took out the part of her post that said this, that goes back to the same rabbi.

Bertrand Russell, “Zionism and the Peace Settlement”, The New Palestine, (New York), vol.xxxiii, no.15, 11 June 1943, p.5; Bertrand Russell, “Zionism and the Peace Settlement”, Palestine - A Jewish Commonwealth in Our Time, op.cit., pp.19-20

Why did you delete it? :D
@skinster

We have debated things but you continue to not understand the situation at all and regurgitate zionist spin that's easily demolished. To assume this is a fight between equals is mostly where you go wrong, it's the equivalent of stating a rapist and his victim are equals.

There's the colonizer and the colonized. There's the aggressor and the victim. One side ethnically cleansed hundreds of thousands of the other since it invaded the land 7 decades ago, to create a state on top of the other. One side continues to occupying the other. One side denies basic human rights to the other while imprisoning close to 2 million of the other in what amounts to a modern day concentration camp, etc. etc. etc.

For you to then cry victim for the aggressor makes you appear like an ignorant dolt of the highest order. I put full stops in my first paragraph in an attempt to help that information sink in to you, though at this stage you're probably too far gone to ever accept the facts of this so-called conflict.

An acceptable solution for the time being would be for Israel to stop occupying and blockading Palestinians and giving them the same rights Israelis enjoy. Hamas became an organization decades after Israel was occupying Gaza, so that might give you an inkling into why that resistance organization became a thing. Who cares if the Arab states do or don't recognize Israel, it's already recognized and propped up by world powers and even shares an alliance with Saudi Arabia these days, mostly because of their shared values.

Your view of the situation is rather simplistic as i mentioned before. Yes, from the side of palestenians it is colonizer vs colonized while from the side of Israel it is rightful owners of the land vs terrorist organisations. You might find this contradictory but it is not in this case. Both of the sides have their own subjective opinions the same way you and i do. The weird part is that both sides are correct.

The land was promised to the Jews while Palestinians did live on the land before. So both have claims to the land and that is why the resolution is SO hard to reach of any sort. Both of the sides think that they are right.

Now speaking about a resolution. To fully implement a two state solutions certain guarantees need to be given to Israel and Palestine. Israel will not accept any solution that does not provide full security guarantees from Palestine and other Arab states in the region. Palestine can't provide this guarantees. (Even from its own local groups for example) Palestine will not accept anything besides the 1947 borders and a full statehood but Israel can't accept that without security guarantees. We are stuck in an infinite loop of sorts.

If you remember, i wasn't always pro-Israel or pro-Palestine. I was rather neutral in this conflict. Why did it change? Perhaps i am pessimistic regarding the conflict. It will not end without 1 side fully destroying the other side and this seems to be a certainty. In the end, there will be either one Israeli state or one Palestinian state. Both will be built on massive blood. This is my honest long term outlook. There is always hope of course but i do not see anything that can change the current bloody cycle. There is no power that realistically has the will and adequete power to provide what BOTH sides want.
most of them will eventually leave on their own will

west bank population is 1.7 million (officially) non official numbers are about 1 million because there are many who are registered as west bank residents no longer live there like those who live in the west and only coming there once a year for a month
and more than 60% of the west bank Arabs want to leave
ZN, Palestinian figures decrease in the West Bank because once Palestinians step out of that territory for you know regular things like visiting or studying abroad, Israel rarely lets them return. I have a friend from Gaza who this happened to; due to his previous qualifications he somehow managed to escape the camp and was able to study in America, leaving his wife and two kids behind, with the understanding he would return. But since, he's not allowed to return because Israel is a fucked up state and he's been forced to claim asylum in the U.S.

JohnRawls wrote:@skinster
Your view of the situation is rather simplistic as i mentioned before. Yes, from the side of palestenians it is colonizer vs colonized while from the side of Israel it is rightful owners of the land vs terrorist organisations. You might find this contradictory but it is not in this case. Both of the sides have their own subjective opinions the same way you and i do. The weird part is that both sides are correct.

My view is not simplistic because I haven't fallen for the aforementioned spin, it's a very basic case of colonization and to suggest the colonizers have just as much as right as those who were colonized makes you sound like a liar at best and batshit insane otherwise, but that's typical of zionsts so... :D

Chomsky in the book he co-wrote with Ilan Pappe, On Palestine wrote:The last paradox is that the tale of Palestine from the beginning until today is a simple story of colonialism and dispossession, yet the world treats it as a multifaceted and complex story - hard to understand and even harder to solve. Indeed, the story of Palestine has been told before: European settlers coming to a foreign land, settling there, and either committing genocide against or expelling the indigenous people. The Zionists have not invented anything new in this respect. But Israel succeeded nonetheless, with the help of its allies everywhere, in building a multilayered explanation that is so complex that only Israel can understand it. Any interference from the outside world is immediately castigated as naive at best or anti-Semitic at worst.
@skinster

My view is not simplistic because I haven't fallen for the aforementioned spin, it's a very basic case of colonization and to suggest the colonizers have just as much as right as those who were colonized makes you sound like a liar at best and batshit insane otherwise, but that's typical of zionsts so...

There is some merit in your words. On the other hand, Israel was promised this land. Back in the day they petitioned the British Empire for a piece of land where they can settle which was approved by the British empire. Israel is a remnant from that colonial past. Issue is that they were promised this land by the British empire and so they slowly started settling there. Israel did not appear in 1 day. It was a long process that started and was permitted to happen by the British empire. World War 2 greatly intensified the process. Israel was created (Initially) with our blessing(By the way not just Europe, this also includes USSR and USA) So we permitted Israel to exist and supported it which leads us to the current situation. Israel is a European/Western/USSR creation that was allowed to be created without consulting the local population. There was never a need to do so, because the land belonged to the British Empire in the first place. (To put it in to context)

So right now we blame Israel for colonialism. When they were permitted to have this land in a process that lasted decades. We even supported their independence on several occasions. And now we fast forward to year 2017 when we are saying to them to go away from the land...
Okay, let us dumb is down a notch. Lets say we go with your full assumption that Israel is a coloniser. There is no alternative viewpoint and no alternative argument. (For the sake of discussion)

If we take Israel in that context then what is the solution? Deport all of the people from Israel? (Note America is a colonialy created country and nobody is deporting Europeans out of North America/USA) How is this solution fair to Israel compared to any other colonially created country? (USA, Canada, Brazil, etc)

If it is not full deportation then forceful removal to 1947 borders? Do you understand that is more or less 1 000 000 individuals that you will have to dislocate from their current homes. That is 1/8th of Israels population. Where are they gonna get money for it? How are they going to absorb the economical impact from that ? Do you honestly believe that it is possible to force a country to do this without resorting to direct military enforcement ?

@FiveofSwords Also, don't get too hung up on g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]