Right to Belief - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Political Interest
When is someone's opinion valid and when does their ideological position become a valid one?

For example, why were Lenin and Mao Zedong considered legitimate communists but a middle class Westerner living in the US or UK is not taken seriously?

Do people need to have a specific context to justify their political beliefs? Or are politcal beliefs something you do not need to justify?
By ness31
Good question, and I don't know the answer but I'll start and then the smarter people will follow.
I'd suggest that people's notoriety is somewhat linked to how they're perceived on the valid-o-metre of ideology. Maybe they have to ratchet up a heap of political deaths. Is it how many followers they can successfully sway? Political life expectancy or maybe a combination of all of the above.
But really, wouldn't the only gauge be to compare how close they came to implementing their theoretical beliefs in practice?
By Godstud
There is no "right to belief". You have the freedom to believe what you want, but you don't have the right to others recognizing that belief to be fact.

Your beliefs are valid if you follow them. A person supporting communism in the US is just as legitimate as a person supporting it somewhere else. It's all about what you're doing about it, as well.
By MistyTiger
Political Interest wrote:When is someone's opinion valid and when does their ideological position become a valid one?

For example, why were Lenin and Mao Zedong considered legitimate communists but a middle class Westerner living in the US or UK is not taken seriously?

Do people need to have a specific context to justify their political beliefs? Or are politcal beliefs something you do not need to justify?

I think that their opinion is valid as long as they express themselves in a rational manner without resorting to violence or wild protests. Most people think that any time that there are protests, there will be fighting and then the cops will come with rubber bullets and stuff.

People should not have to justify their beliefs. They believe what they believe for personal reasons. Unless you understand their experiences, then all you can really do is question them and listen to their answers. I know that I do not judge people for believing what they do. I like to discuss what they have said. I appreciate that people have opinions based on their character, their past and everyone has had different life experiences.
By B0ycey
Political Interest wrote:When is someone's opinion valid and when does their ideological position become a valid one?

An opinion is just that. An opinion. So unless the opinion can be proven wrong, it has as much validation as anothers opposite opinion. So everyone's ideological position has to be valid, but not necessarily moral or beneficial.

Are you taking about middle class communists here? Many on here would disagree with the middle class having no voice. It appears it's the working class who don't (but I would disagree with this). But back to your point, Lenin and Mao were the right voice, in the right area at the right time. During hardship or a need for transition, a voice of hope will always be listened to regardless if it is beneficial to you. During hardship people want change because they believe things cannot get worse. And history has proven this to not always be the case. Trump is an example of recent false hope. And when his lies turn to dust, a new voice, with a new direction will come out of America.

I know at least one poster who will disagree with me here, but political belief tends to formed by the environment you live in. During hardship, it appears people are more extreme and less tolerant of others. The more cultured you are, the more cultured your friends. And that opens more doors for you in terms of career progression. There are many many other factors to consider like your family and friends which can influence your political belief too, but to say there isn't a class divide in political belief and ideology would 'appear' to be unfounded.
By Joka
Weak willed and conforming people need other people's validations or approval.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

He was "one of the good ones". Of cours[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]