Most of our seniors don't deserve respect - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
Drlee wrote:At least they are not Dutch.
That is something...

Drlee wrote:I believe that the Francophone in Canada should be reeducated.
The few people I know from Montreal are very anti-francophone, as some francophones will discriminate against you if you speak English. A Montrealer friend of mine was in Quebec city and asked to go to Notre Dame Cathedral, in English. The taxi took him the opposite way, until he mentioned, in French, that he was going the wrong way.

Francophones tend to be arrogant pricks, when they consider their language and culture(or lack thereof) superior.
Godstud wrote: That is something...

A quick reminder

Canada was a primary force in liberating the Dutch in WWII. Because of that, the Dutch stayed in Afghanistan to give our ground troops air cover. They're ok in my book.
Dutch people are the tallest people in the world.

They only eat one hot meal a day which makes them cranky.

They all speak English beautifully which pisses off people in the UK and US who, do not.

The Dutch hate both out sometimes friends like France and our traditional friends like Germany.

The Dutch have been rumored to put their fingers in dykes. I don't know what to say about that.
In other parts of Canada the British empire just deported them back to France when it took the land from the frogs, I don't know why it allowed them to continue to pollute Quebec but it seems to have been a mistake.
Godstud wrote:You don't criticize, Qatzelok. You name-call.

People who resort to name-calling usually don't have much going on in their heads.

Godstud wrote:You're a Canadian-French boor.

Godstud wrote:Francophones tend to be arrogant pricks

Godstud wrote:The francophones like to image they're better, but they're the same.

Many of our seniors never really matured because there was no place for intelligent conversations in their lives. This is a tragedy, not something to feel "superior to."

Decky wrote:In other parts of Canada the British empire just deported them back to France when it took the land from the frogs, I don't know why it allowed them to continue to pollute Quebec but it seems to have been a mistake.

If you're talking about how Anglos ethnic-cleansed the Acadians, they sent one parent to France, the other to Lousiana, one child to North Carolina, etc. Their objective was to destroy the culture that lead to race-mixing.

With the French Metis in Western Canada, the Anglos brought in trainloads of immigrants and gave them guns to kill them.

Canada has a history that doesn't deserve respect, by the way.
Drlee wrote:Dutch people are the tallest people in the world.

They only eat one hot meal a day which makes them cranky.

They all speak English beautifully which pisses off people in the UK and US who, do not.

The Dutch hate both out sometimes friends like France and our traditional friends like Germany.

The Dutch have been rumored to put their fingers in dykes. I don't know what to say about that.

Very amusing.

"Nilotic peoples that live in regions near the Nile Valley, the African Great Lakes, and southwestern Ethiopia, and are regarded to be among the tallest people on earth with an average male height is 6ft 3in (1.9m). £
Interesting topic. It has always been my feeling that in The US, a social and economic self-centeredness, driven by fear, has destroyed the elderly wisdom dynamic. Hard to compassionately dispense wisdom freely when you are busy worrying if you will end up being 'put on the street' while your children are too busy struggling "chasing the dream". Everyone is preoccupied with 'who has the better deal' and envy is King.

Generational warfare...
Billy Pilgrim wrote:Interesting topic. It has always been my feeling that in The US, a social and economic self-centeredness, driven by fear, has destroyed the elderly wisdom dynamic. Hard to compassionately dispense wisdom freely when you are busy worrying if you will end up being 'put on the street' while your children are too busy struggling "chasing the dream". Everyone is preoccupied with 'who has the better deal' and envy is King.

Generational warfare...

Yes. The West also REPLACED normal wisdom-distribution (which requires spontaneous socializing and cooperation) with the kind of canned commercial wisdom that is dished out in isolated suburbia and long solitary commutes. And this kind of "wisdom" creates gullible consumers rather than well-rounded humans.
QatzelOk wrote:Yes. The West also REPLACED normal wisdom-distribution (which requires spontaneous socializing and cooperation) with the kind of canned commercial wisdom that is dished out in isolated suburbia and long solitary commutes. And this kind of "wisdom" creates gullible consumers rather than well-rounded humans.

And all the while our 'souls' slowly die with a whimper.
Perkwunos wrote:I've definitely come across a lot of boomers on Facebook who seemed perhaps only semi-literate and certainly horribly uninformed. Making a lot of trips around the Sun doesn't always make one knowledgeable. Indeed, often it does not.

Wisdom is the product of the number of times around the sun multiplied by the number of interesting thoughts you have each day.

In suburbia, the thought process is bleached by commercial car radio, too much canned entertainment, and lawn-moat separation. Because parents with cars decided to move to suburbia en masse (after having it rammed down their throats by media and zoning changes lead by oil and car industries)... they had no idea what this type of land use would do to their children. They saw smiling sitcom kids having potato sack races on TV, and they bought into this as a nice way to raise kids.

On an isolated lawn in the middle of nowhere. Gilligan's Island is the reality that children live through now. Car death awaits beyond every corner. Activities and a wide mix of other kids (and other adult influences) are on the other side of the prison walls.
QatzelOk wrote:Wisdom is the product of the number of times around the sun multiplied by the number of interesting thoughts you have each day.

In suburbia, the thought process is bleached by commercial car radio, too much canned entertainment, and lawn-moat separation. Because parents with cars decided to move to suburbia en masse (after having it rammed down their throats by media and zoning changes lead by oil and car industries)... they had no idea what this type of land use would do to their children. They saw smiling sitcom kids having potato sack races on TV, and they bought into this as a nice way to raise kids.

On an isolated lawn in the middle of nowhere. Gilligan's Island is the reality that children live through now. Car death awaits beyond every corner. Activities and a wide mix of other kids (and other adult influences) are on the other side of the prison walls.

At what time and place do you think things are/were better?
Perkwunos wrote:At what time and place do you think things are/were better?

It was better when Qatzel was a kid. He had to go to school in snow storms, barefoot, up the hill.
Those were the days without pedophiles, Muslims and homos, kids could play outside in the mud.
Ter wrote:It was better when Qatzel was a kid.

This is totally false.

I grew up in a shitty, American-style suburb with huge lawns and totally boring neighbors who were all from the same social class.

Then, when I was old enough to run away from home (19), I left and have lived in urban settings ever since. I only discovered "community" after about 10 years of living in the city. In the suburbs, we were an isolated nuclear family with no stimulation other than TV and the occasional car trip to the multiplex to watch a "movie" (larger screen).

But the adults in my suburban enclave (suburbs are all the same) had no time to talk to kids, and the kids had no regular contact with other adults from different backgrounds and social situations. It was a social vacuum.

And that's why most people who grow up in this kind of environment are so dumb and immature. There isn't enough stimulation for a homo sapien. It was designed to facilitate car addiction, and NOT well-rounded humans.

Perkwunos wrote:At what time and place do you think things are/were better?

Urban planning and social policy is NOT about establishing some magical moment in history in which to freeze society. It's about designing for human beings and for the well-being of the collective. By letting the merchant class design our environments with only profit in mind, we have ruined our own societies in many ways, and lack of wisdom is a particularly tragic one.

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]

how 'the mismeasure of man' was totally refuted.[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]

It very much is, since it's why there's a war in t[…]