The latest Trump interview once again reveals appalling ignorance and dishonesty - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
As America continues to ponder whether President Donald Trump is obstructing justice by firing his FBI director in order to stymie an ongoing inquiry into his team’s various bizarre links to the Russian government, the Economist delivered an interview with the chief executive that reminds us of the original and most basic horror of the Trump administration: The president of the United States has no idea what he’s talking about.

And while Trump’s own answers are so bizarre and meandering that it seems overwhelmingly likely he is speaking nonsense out of ignorance rather than rank dishonesty, the performance of Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin as his squire in the interview is disturbing on an entirely different level. Much as Trump has turned the political appointees at the Justice Department into facilitators of his lies about Jim Comey, Mnuchin acts as an enabler rather than a provider of adult supervision.

Trump, ignorant, will say something stupid. Then Mnuchin, better-informed, will back him up by saying something blatantly false. The good news, such as it is, is that in Trump’s own telling, the president can be easily manipulated by foreign governments who dupe him into avoiding rash actions.

Trump makes tons of random false claims

The sheer volume of things that Trump says over the course of the interview is mind-boggling, and practically beyond counting. At times he appears to be willfully lying in pursuit of some political agenda, or at least repeating a half-remembered partisan talking point. But he also asserts that nobody had heard of Mike Pence before he was chosen to be Trump’s running mate, when Pence has in fact been well-known in American political circles for years.

Trump says that Ireland “never raised their taxes” during the Great Recession, when in fact Value Added Tax, gas tax, and alcohol taxes went up and the government also imposed a new carbon tax and moved to close some corporate tax loopholes.
Trump says we “always lose” in NAFTA arbitration cases, when in fact that United States has a better won-loss record in such disputes than either Canada or Mexico.
Trump says we run a $15 billion trade deficit with Canada, when in fact last year we ran a trade surplus.
Trump says Reagan’s 1986 tax reform proposal increased the deficit, when it did not.
Trump says we’re “the highest taxed nation in the world,” when in fact the United States has lower taxes than every developed country except Chile, Mexico, and Korea.

At times it’s difficult to know where exactly misstatements end and free associating nonsense begins. The Economist asks Trump why his tax plan is so tilted toward wealthy families and he (falsely) says that it isn’t “because they’re losing all of their deductions.” This wouldn’t change the fact that the plan is regressive even if it accurately characterized the plan, which it does not, since the plan in fact maintains several deductions.

The Economist then rightly asks him how something like eliminating the estate tax could fail to benefit the rich, and Trump appears to enter a fugue state:

I get more deductions, I mean I can tell you this, I get more deductions, they have deductions for birds flying across America, they have deductions for everything. There are more deductions … now you’re going to get an interest deduction, and a charitable deduction. But we’re not going to have all this nonsense that they have right now that complicates things and makes it … you know when we put out that one page, I said, we should really put out a, you know, a big thing, and then I looked at the one page, honestly it’s pretty well covered. Hard to believe.

Rather than bring Trump back down to earth, his aides stand by to enable his nonsense.

Trump aides guide him toward dishonesty

A signature moment in the interview comes after Trump gives a long, rambling answer on China in which he appears to say that he dropped his campaign pledge to designate China as a currency manipulator as part of a deal on North Korea:

Now, with that in mind, he’s representing China and he wants what’s best for China. But so far, you know, he’s been, he’s been very good. But, so they talk about why haven’t you called him a currency manipulator? Now think of this. I say, “Jinping. Please help us, let’s make a deal. Help us with North Korea, and by the way we’re announcing tomorrow that you’re a currency manipulator, OK?” They never say that, you know the fake media, they never put them together, they always say, he didn’t call him a currency [manipulator], number one. Number two, they’re actually not a currency [manipulator]. You know, since I’ve been talking about currency manipulation with respect to them and other countries, they stopped.

At this point Mnuchin chimes in to try to clarify the president’s rambling with an answer that’s crisp, precise, reflects well on the president, and is totally false: “Right, as soon as the president got elected they went the other way.”

In reality, Chinese undervaluation of its currency came to an end way back in 2014, and Trump waged his entire campaign on the basis of a false premise. It is to his credit that he is making the right policy decision rather than sticking by his wrong talking points, but it’s extremely troubling that his top advisers on the subject appear to be winning the argument by spinning the president with flattering lies rather than accurate analysis.
https://www.vox.com/2017/5/11/15622900/ ... -interview

There's more: how he's forgotten his excuse for not showing his taxes ("being audited") and an aide has to remind him; thinking he invented the economic use of "priming the pump" a few days ago, when it's been in widespread use since the 1930s (enough for people to base cartoons on it back then), and rambling on about how foreign leaders can easily persuade him to change his mind.

It's time for a proper medical examination of him, to look for signs of Alzheimer's.
While they check for Alzheimer's, they should also check on his hearing and his knowledge of current events, history, math, Politics, and common sense.

Who knew deductions were so varied like the options on a restaurant menu? I had no idea it was such a rich palate of flavors! :lol:

/sarcasm

I hope they have at least one fact checker in the DC area. If so, he needs to hired to handle the teleprompter and Trump scripts. Trump cannot go anywhere without one, that bumbling buffoon!
This One Screenshot Captures Everything Wrong With Media Coverage Of Trump

I think it's hilarious. I personally don't care much about Trump, but I've come to hate the Washington establishment. Trump is making them apoplectic, and I find it refreshing. The link above is par for the course.

Bre Payton wrote:So why is it that just a few months ago, it was cool when the president had specific food preferences, but today, it’s the worst thing ever? The double standard of the media’s over-the-top, pearl-clutching reaction to everything Trump does, including eating a second scoop of ice cream, is why so many Americans simply do not trust them. It also highlights just how sycophantic members of the press were towards President Obama. Everything he did, everything he ate, was THE BEST THING EVER.

Congratulations, CNN. You just played yourself.

Exactly. :roll: CNN used to be the leading cable channel back in the 1980s. They're a shadow of their former self.

The neoconservatives hate him too:

A Sense of Responsibility
William Kristol wrote:Donald Trump is an embarrassment. It would be better for the country if he were president for at most one term. It would be desirable that his manner of governing go down in history as an aberration; that his form of conservatism be judged a detour from the broad path of a mostly praiseworthy movement; and that his type of Republicanism be seen as a cul-de-sac from which the GOP finds an honorable exit.

It's absolutely hilarious. Style is what matters most to these people. Kristol goes on to wax eloquently about Anthony Eden. :roll:

Trump: Normalized, but scary
Charles Krauthammer wrote:I simply view President Trump as the Wizard of Oz.

Loud and bombastic. A charlatan. Nothing behind the screen — other than the institutional chaos that defines his White House and the psychic chaos that governs his ever-changing mind.

Oh my God is that funny. Trump is entertaining. Yet, there really isn't much to fear as Krauthammer points out.

What to do? Ignore what’s behind the curtain. Deal with what comes out in front: the policy, the pronouncements, the actions.

And so far they hang together enough — Neil Gorsuch, Keystone XL, NATO reassurances, Syria strike, Cabinet appointments — that one can begin to talk plausibly about the normalization of this presidency.

Right. It's really not that bad. Trump is what you get when you don't impeach Obama for using the IRS to go after your voting base. Trump is what you get when you are afraid of being called a racist, and so won't address what Obama did. Trump exposes that many RINOs didn't actually have a big problem with ObamaCare when the American people did. That's why you get Trump.
Godstud wrote:This is what so many uneducated and stupid Americans want. Someone they can relate to. It really is just a reflection of the American people.... or at least about 50% of them. ENJOY!

You are probably right but only 25% of the electorate voted for Trump. We shouldn't be too harsh on the Americans and give them the benefit of the doubt.
Judging the ones I've met, all the Trump supporters I know of are old white racist assholes. Who don't believe in climate change. 50% might seem high, but even 25% is too high in a country that's supposed to be educated, progressive, and advanced. Maybe, the USA isn't that country, anymore.

Making America great again? Constitutional and court challenges to deny rights is going the wrong way.

Trump is the world's biggest liar, covered by media. That his supporters say this is OK, is very telling. Not in a good way, either.

Trump is ignorant and dishonest to an extreme. When people ask why people voted for Hillary, the only good answer was only that she was not ignorant. She was as dishonest. That goes with being a politician(although Trump's taken that to a new level). She was not, however, uneducated and ignorant.

That Trump's a Republican is irrelevant. He'd be hated by many people if he was a Democrat, for the same reasons.

@FiveofSwords Edwards' critique does not co[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]