SC; North Carolina Districts a 'Racial Gerrymander' of Blacks - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Supreme Court Rules Republicans Created Two North Carolina Districts as a 'Racial Gerrymander' of Blacks

by david badash
May 22, 2017 11:21 AM

Court Refused to 'Approve a Racial Gerrymander Whose Necessity Is Supported by No Evidence and Whose Raison D’être Is a Legal Mistake'
The U.S. Supreme Court has invalidated two North Carolina congressional districts, ruling they were created for the purpose of illegally packing in Black voters. Justice Elena Kagan called the creation by Republicans a "racial gerrymander" and a "legal mistake." The Court upheld a lower court's ruling that said the districts, which were drawn in 2011, were illegal, the News & Observer reports.

District 12;

The lengths some go for political power with racist zeal.......

Makes you glad if you don't live there. NC's pretty much a dump I keep hearing and reading from people that live there. Like the Rust Belt states increasingly neglected to decline and wither away.
The Constitution of the United States guarantees that everyone is equal and no one shall be infringed on their...

Ohh wait, forgot the Three-Fifths Compromise. No worries then, carry on!
Gerrymandering is not, and has never been, used to help minorities or blacks, however. Your statement is idiotic and ignorant.

Gerrymandering Is Even More Infuriating When You Can Actually See It
https://www.wired.com/2016/01/gerrymand ... ly-see-it/
Godstud wrote:Gerrymandering is not, and has never been, used to help minorities or blacks, however. Your statement is idiotic and ignorant.

Gerrymandering Is Even More Infuriating When You Can Actually See It
https://www.wired.com/2016/01/gerrymand ... ly-see-it/

Bullshit. I think Maxine Waters represents a gerrymandered Black district. I live in a district that was gerrymandered to elect a Mexican.
They Gerrymander the blacks into huge districts so that they have a tough time voting(long lineups, limited locations, etc.). This is a common practice. It's not done to benefit them.

Also:

Gerrymandering is a way of cheating the system by creating an artificially positive balance of house seats for one party. For example, during the 2012 election cycle in Pennsylvania, 51% of the votes cast in the U.S. House elections were for Democrats, yet the Democratic Party only won 5 out of 18 seats. If the majority of voters support one party, yet barely a quarter of representatives are a member of that party, it would appear there is disconnect between constituents and representation.

Not only does gerrymandering potentially skew voting, it is often argued that it contributes to polarization by advantaging more partisan candidates. An elected representative of a district that is 50% Democrat, 50% Republican will have to consider the needs of both halves of his or her constituents in order to be re-elected. If that same district were gerrymandered to be 80% Democrat, the representative can safely be partisan with no repercussions. While this system does not create partisanship and gridlock on its own, it certainly isn’t one that fosters cooperation and compromise.

https://www.nolabels.org/blog/just-fact ... mandering/
Godstud wrote:They Gerrymander the blacks into huge districts so that they have a tough time voting(long lineups, limited locations, etc.). This is a common practice. It's not done to benefit them.

Also:

Gerrymandering is a way of cheating the system by creating an artificially positive balance of house seats for one party. For example, during the 2012 election cycle in Pennsylvania, 51% of the votes cast in the U.S. House elections were for Democrats, yet the Democratic Party only won 5 out of 18 seats. If the majority of voters support one party, yet barely a quarter of representatives are a member of that party, it would appear there is disconnect between constituents and representation.

Not only does gerrymandering potentially skew voting, it is often argued that it contributes to polarization by advantaging more partisan candidates. An elected representative of a district that is 50% Democrat, 50% Republican will have to consider the needs of both halves of his or her constituents in order to be re-elected. If that same district were gerrymandered to be 80% Democrat, the representative can safely be partisan with no repercussions. While this system does not create partisanship and gridlock on its own, it certainly isn’t one that fosters cooperation and compromise.

https://www.nolabels.org/blog/just-fact ... mandering/

Bullshit. Federal districts must meet strict numbers requirement. A district must be over 60% Black to be considered safe.
I don't think African Americans are gerrymandered due to the direct racism of Republicans, they just want o get elected. That doesn't mean it's not systematic discrimination against them. In fact its a pretty explicit example.

Anyway, I would love to see some algorithmic method of district drawing implemented, like a shortest splitline algorithm or something along those lines.
mikema63 wrote:Anyway, I would love to see some algorithmic method of district drawing implemented, like a shortest splitline algorithm or something along those lines.
Or maybe we just implement the system that 75% of other democracies have and just to one person one vote so that republicans are not disproportionately represented?
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]