What sources do you trust? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

The question is relatively straight forward but to clarify a bit, what news organizations, websites, agencies, etc. Do you think are the most trustworthy sources?

What about those sources makes you trust them?
I trust each source to provide those facts or narrative that support their agenda.

I trust scientific studies done by universities, because of the peer review process and the adherence to scientific methodology.

I trust my mother.
Mostly brand awareness and word of mouth. I have a lot of goodwill for The Guardian because I enjoy its coverage of cycling infrastructure and environmental issues. I often wonder if that softens my cynicism or skepticism of stories I'm less familiar with.

If I'm reading a standalone article then many news sources are trustworthy. Usually the bias is more insidious- the stories that aren't covered, the stories that have less prominence, fewer follow ups, less detail, etc.

You can spot the spin or the angle by reading a handful of different sources. Half the time you can predict what they'll say before you even pick up the page.
I trust the sources that provide video footage. Usually the footage is not faked. The video is usually edited but there is only so much editing that they do.

I trust my mother and my father.

I trust my gut feeling and my innate instincts.
I trust PBS. I trust the BBC for international news. I like MSNBC and CNN. Fox News is a laughingstock. Before it shut down I appreciated Al Jazeera USA. Sadly it is gone.

I agree with POD and also trust work done at universities. I have been around them most of my adult life and have never personally seen a case of deliberately falsified data and very little with a deliberately slanted point of view.

I like internet research and trust most departmental government research.

I am a life-long republican and cannot name a single elected republican that I trust to do the right thing. Not one.

I would trust the Queen of England with my life.
mikema63 wrote:The question is relatively straight forward but to clarify a bit, what news organizations, websites, agencies, etc. Do you think are the most trustworthy sources?

What about those sources makes you trust them?

NPR and Associated Press is the Gold Standard. If you look at their record, you won't find perfection. You will find a consistent commitment to get the story correct. The reasons I trust them is predicated on the having reporters on the scene in most cases so they get an under standing from the ground.

The news magazines on NPR are the few places you can find in-depth reporting. The NPR podcasts are like nuggets of gold that are all too easy to mine. Specifically the "planet money" podcasts. This American Life is not an NPR property but is usually heard on NPR stations. When they do an investigative report, they are tenacious. I challenge even listeners of "Only a game" to not learn something during their weekly podcast.

CNN is fine as are the 3 major networks. I find the news to be gimmicky on ABC. For some reason, they seem to have a lot of weather reports about the latest heat wave or tropical storm or a report about a lot of travelers on the road this weekend. They will have a reporter out in the field to report the story. The reporter is often on the West Side Highway with the GWB in the background; about 8 miles north of David Muir the anchor if he is at the Times Square studio. There is no reason for the remote.
The old saying "Dont believe what you're told and only half what you see." is not valid any more with photo shop and fake news.
Verify, verify, verify and still be sceptical.

We only see what we want to see; we only hear what we want to hear. Our belief system is just like a mirror that only shows us what we believe.
- Don Miguel Ruiz
By Ter
Pants-of-dog wrote:Do you trust that article? If so, why?

I trust this article insofar that it confirms what I have been seeing in the NYT and WP since Trump became a realistic possibility as POTUS.
For instance, the paragraph where the author mentions the NYT regularly saying Trump is lying. That language was not used when talking about other presidents.
The author also talks from his own experience working in the NYT and the recent changes in editorial policy.
Anyway, I found it an interesting take on the current loss of credibility of news sources who used to have a reputation of reasonable neutrality.
For instance, the paragraph where the author mentions the NYT regularly saying Trump is lying. That language was not used when talking about other presidents.

Can you think of a possible reason this might be true? I can.

This president (and remember I am a republican) has chosen to play things quite differently from every one of his predecessors. Certainly I can remember that word being used when describing Nixon.

The thing is that there is a difference between positing an idea that is not directly supported by the facts (like asserting that trickle-down economics works) and telling people he actually won the popular vote which is simply not true.

The outrageous tweets and artificial crisis are simply a ploy to cover what is actually going on. It is a long time republican strategy taken to its ultimate expression.

This has been a winning strategy and it is still winning. I am very concerned that those formerly middle class whites who are following him because they feel disenfranchised have yet to discover that they have chosen the wrong side. There are two ways they can go from here. They can go to the democrats/independents or they can go for their guns. I think it is a toss up.
Ter wrote:I trust this article insofar that it confirms what I have been seeing in the NYT and WP since Trump became a realistic possibility as POTUS.
The author also talks from his own experience working in the NYT and the recent changes in editorial policy.
Anyway, I found it an interesting take on the current loss of credibility of news sources who used to have a reputation of reasonable neutrality.

Well, Trump does lie an incredible amount.

It seems possible that you trust it becuase it confirms your own biases.

He is still under checks and balances while other[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainly[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The claim is a conditional statement. This is one[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I don't know who are you are referring to, but th[…]