London Tube to change 'ladies and gentlemen' announcements-Gender Neutral - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

This is a product of the modern post-human post-modern ultra liberal Britain, and especially London. It does not surprise me that the the British would take such a decision. They are not the most soulful of people and are intent on turning their island country into a space age science fiction state where half the population are roboticised. The British hate any sort of soulfulness, tradition and sentimentality. It is a purely utitilitarian society and culture. But where there is a supposed "liberation" with all of these moves to free society from any sort of culture the working environment remains utterly totalitarian and hyper-capitalist. What good is it to the person slogging away on a Saturday, the person who has "volunteered" to work overtime, or the many people who do not even get the luxury of having Saturday off at all? Does hearing, "hello everyone" instead of, "ladies and gentlemen" provide any real human freedom? I am sure it will really improve the lives of all those privileged white men sleeping on the streets around King's Cross station on cold winter nights.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:There are only two genders there isnt anything else
all those who pretend that they are not part of any gender are just mentally ill people who should not get any special treatment but rather spend some time in an asylum

Let us assume that you are correct.

Who the hell cares?

Even if you are completely correct, do you go to a crazy person and try to scream at them until they realize they're nuts?

I would hope not, as that won't work.

So you, more than likely, just pass crazies on the street and pay them no mind.

Is it too much to ask to be consistent here? Or does everything have to be about how rightwingers feel at any given moment?
The Immortal Goon wrote:Let us assume that you are correct.

Who the hell cares?

Even if you are completely correct, do you go to a crazy person and try to scream at them until they realize they're nuts?

I would hope not, as that won't work.

So you, more than likely, just pass crazies on the street and pay them no mind.

Is it too much to ask to be consistent here? Or does everything have to be about how rightwingers feel at any given moment?

I just said they should not get any special treatment I dont really care about them being out there but they are something like 0.01 percent of the population so why should anyone take them into consideration?
Zionist Nationalist wrote:but they are something like 0.01 percent of the population
Source? about 0.5% of the American population is openly transgender, and I imagine it would be more in Europe because they don't have nearly as much of a stigma there.
ThirdTerm wrote:A single journey ticket now costs £4.90 on London Underground and the change was made after the 7/7 attacks in 2005.

That's extremely expensive for mass transit.

Have most parts of it been privatized, like American health care? That might explain the high cost of a one-way fare AND the pointless descent into identity politics.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:I dont care if they are 0.1 or 0.5 it still doesn't make them significant enough to demand anything
Lets assume they make up about 1% of the population in Europe (Much of the US is super religious and that prevents a lot of people from coming out). That means that there will be at least one or two people in a busy station.

Also they aren't demanding anything but a simple recognition of their existence.
When I come there, I would expect the announcement to recognize my existence. It should not be assumed I am a Brit, just because I am there. Why should they not recognize my Americanist.
One Degree wrote:It should not be assumed I am a Brit, just because I am there. Why should they not recognize my Americanist.
Hello, there is a recognition of anyone who can think on their own. Does that include Americans (I'm not sure)?
This change is deeply disappointing to me. When I am in the UK I wish to pretend that I am in a polite kingdom. I relish being referred to as Gentleman rather than Doc or Dude.

When in London I stay at the Milestone or if I am in a Soho state of mind Hazlitt's. I visit the Tower and stroll over for lunch with a friend at Scotland Yard. (Until she retires in three years anyway.) A quiet evening at the Carlton Club is a must. Theater, antique shopping in Notting Hill and a run down to Portsmouth to pay homage to the Royal Navy can't be missed.

But now.....I am no longer to be addressed as "gentleman" on the Tube? Disgraceful. And why? So some poor sod who had his pp whacked off in a momentary fit of pique can feel included? So .000003 percent of the population (actually a noisy guy/gal/none of the above, formerly named Nigel) can feel that he has nudged the juggernaut?

This is an appalling turn of events and one that may cause me to turn my back on my ironed copy of The Times and go someplace less offensive to my conservative social preferences. Somewhere like...Greece?
Zionist Nationalist wrote:There are only two genders there isnt anything else
all those who pretend that they are not part of any gender are just mentally ill people who should not get any special treatment but rather spend some time in an asylum

There are people who are born intersex whose parents and/or doctors chose their sex based on what they could do surgically with their ambiguous sexual organs.

Often, the doctors and/or parents chose wrong. Not until they're adults are intersex individuals able to do something to change their physical body to match their brain.
My feelings when reading news like this are always somewhere between irritation and amusement. It's extraordinary how some obscure theory without any sound evidence has become the basis for such a wide range of policies that ripple out into ridiculous decisions like this. The same is true for theories that tend to get less attention but are no less baseless, such as micro-aggressions and micro-inequalities.

@Drlee, I recently came across this article and I'm wondering if you have ever heard about the higher rate of GD in military personnel/veterans before. The massive overlap with other mental health conditions also seem quite extraordinary.
Science Daily wrote:
Among military veterans identifying as transgender, 90 percent have at least one mental health diagnosis, such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or depression, and nearly 50 percent had a hospitalization after a suicide attempt or suicidal thoughts. These study findings, from a single veterans' hospital, will be presented Friday at The Endocrine Society's 98th annual meeting in Boston.

"As more of our active military returns from deployment and transitions to veteran status, the health care system will be faced with treating more transgender veterans who have mental health issues," said principal investigator Marissa Grotzke, MD, an endocrinologist at Salt Lake City Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC), Salt Lake City.

Compared with the general U.S. population, the military and its veterans have a fourfold higher rate of gender dysphoria, according to Grotzke. Formerly called gender identity disorder, gender dysphoria is substantial distress associated with nonconformity to one's assigned sex.

[...]

The researchers then searched the medical records for mental health conditions that coexisted with the gender dysphoria. They found that PTSD was the most commonly identified mental health diagnosis, affecting 46 percent of these veterans, followed by depression in 41 percent. Tobacco use disorder reportedly occurred in one-third, and anxiety was present in 15 percent. Nine patients (23 percent) had other substance abuse, bipolar disorder or schizotypal personality disorder.

How about Russia uses a battle field nuclear we[…]

@Tainari88 , @Godstud @Rich , @Verv , @Po[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 29, Friday Mackenzie King wins Canadian el[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]