Steve Bannon is leaving the White House - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Foxdemon wrote:The generals seem to have become extraordinarily powerful. You'd think Americans would be a little more concerned about the military taking over

Unfortunately, Americans now believe the Military is an important national institution rather than a threat to their democracy. The military is perceived as one of the few "disinterested" or non political organizations in America, and is barely understood by most citizens who possess a glowing and uncritical perspective on the Army's objectives and goals.

Luckily, the military leadership is actaully fairly well educated and not complete fools so I'm not too worried about them pretty much running the executive at this point. It does show that Trump has basically abdicated his executive power to the military though which, yes, is worrying since he's supposed to be where the buck stops.
So the Trump presidency is a mess that only the military can manage. Or maybe it just has to be rebooted after a complete breakdown? Because that's what the military can be actually good for besides defending the country: they can be relied on when everything else breaks down.
I don't think they want to be steering the ship, but it certainly does resemble a kind of autopilot-like situation. The military is just picking up the slack due to Trumps titanic failure as a political leader. It is significant also how many USMC senior commanders are in Trumps cabinet. The USMC is currently enjoying the most political leverage it has ever possessed.

The problem is that there could be serious issues of interservice rivalry that a normal president would manage, however Trump has no idea what he's doing and is basically just doing whatever the military tells him now. Including advancing Cybercom to a unified command, which was something Obama wanted to do. Further, there will be crisis that the military can't manage, such as humanitarian crisis and the state department will be needed, however Trump has eviscerated the state department which just means more tasks the military will have to pickup. This will of course impact their capacity for crisis management in the long run

Basically this is not a good situation and it's unclear how long the military will continue to prop up Trump.
MB. wrote:Basically this is not a good situation and it's unclear how long the military will continue to prop up Trump.

Maybe until he's successfully impeached or resigns? Then Pence could come and it could get back to a normal Republican presidency.
MB, re:
Trump has no idea what he's doing and is basically just doing whatever the military tells him now.

A couple of days ago, Trump gave a press conference wherein he prattle on and on, alluding to the alt right as chuck full of good guys. On stage with him was General John Kelly, with his chin on his chest. He looked abject. Turns out advocating for the KKK etc is a huge nono for the military, and sooooo when the Commander in Chief chimes in...

Beren

No. Not Pence. Please.
Yes, AND you'll note the chiefs all repudiated Trump's statements. This is why I say it's not clear how long Trump will survive, because if he keeps that kind of shit up the military will abandon him. No doubt Bannon getting the sack was blowback from Kelly probably blowing a gasket at Trump over the "Nazis are decent guys" thing.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/s ... continues/

Steve Bannon gone, as John Kelly’s White House clean-up continues
Fraser Nelson

The statement from the White House makes little attempt to disguise what has just happened. ‘White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Steve Bannon have mutually agreed today would be Steve’s last day. We are grateful for his service and wish him the best.’ This is pretty much the same form of words used when The Mooch was fired by Kelly. Four senior White House aides have now gone in the last five weeks. So it seems that Kelly, a former US general brought in by Trump a few weeks ago, is serious about fixing this dysfunctional White House – and, perhaps more strikingly, Trump seems serious about letting him do so.

Losing Bannon is not so big a sacrifice. Bannon helped Trump shape the nationalist, populist message which took both of them to the White House but it has been a relatively short relationship: the two don’t go back much further than the final months of last year’s election campaign. Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, has wanted Bannon fired since the spring.

Kushner and Kelly get on well together, and neither like Bannon. It’s about strategy, as well as personality: Kushner wants to moderate Trump’s message to win over critics: Bannon’s style is to bait and enrage critics and delight the base. He’s apparently going to return to his Breitbart website now, leaving Kushner free to try and tone down the Donald.

Kelly, for his part, has said he has no remit over the President or his tone and message – he has been asked to shape up the White House and he is doing so by dismantling the warring power bases. Word is that he’d had enough of Bannon’s feuding with HR McMaster, the national security adviser. Bannonites dislike ‘the generals’ as much as they hate Kushner and the ‘New York Democrats’ – but it seems an alliance between both has done for Bannon and, perhaps, his agenda.
Trump is a fool, a total senile idiot and the biggest racist pig that I have ever seen in my life and I have seen many racists in my lifetime.

They better find a way to eliminate Pence. The guy seems slimy and so sketchy to me. Where does Trump find all the sketchy people, Sketchy 'R Us?
Where does Trump find all the sketchy people, Sketchy 'R Us?

They found him, MT. Besides, there's never any shortage of slimy, sketchy people in any society at any time in history. It's just that any normal polity keeps such people well away from the levers of power.
foxdemon wrote:So now he is a lame duck president. The generals seem to have become extraordinarily powerful. You'd think Americans would be a little more concerned about the military taking over. But when socio-economic inequality gets too great, the resulting political instability often results in military men taking over the reins of power.

Indeed.

Trump fans are continually being told about how they are under attack from "cultural marxists" and the "alt-left" and other imaginary foes. But every time one of his people in the white house is ousted, who are they replaced by? A representative of the mythical alt-left? No. It is always some Pentagon guy. I have lost count of how many Generals he has on his staff now.
Stormsmith wrote:Beren

No. Not Pence. Please.

Trump is clearly unable to fit in the system and he's becoming a liability rather than an asset rapidly, so in my opinion he has to go sooner rather than later. It must be too much tempting for the military-industrial-congressional complex (including the Republican Party of course) and the Intelligence Community to replace him with Pence. But they have to set up their own administration under Trump first. Maybe Trump himself is aware of all that too.

Oh, and Trump has too much and too deep foreign allegiances as well.
Potemkin wrote:They found him, MT. Besides, there's never any shortage of slimy, sketchy people in any society at any time in history. It's just that any normal polity keeps such people well away from the levers of power.

Ugh. That is what I was afraid of. All kinds of weirdos pop out of the woodwork to supposedly help the US become "great again".

Sent from my Nexus 10 using PoFo mobile app
Mooch73 wrote:Two still to go.

I'm not a fan of this administration but I also don't think it's about to end, many people believed Trump wouldn't make the republican nomination and then he won the Presidential elections. Also, I don't think Trump's source of ideas and "evil" was Steve Bannon, the wall and muslim ban were ideas of his own ( or their adivsers) before Bannon became his campaign advisor in August 2016 let's see what happens...

My piece on this topic: https://graduatesofdemocracy.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/dont-throw-the-firecrakcers-yet/
Lmao check out the NSC website (more evidence of the "clockwork" Whitehouse)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc

But yah bannon should never have been there in the first place and getting rid of him was a smart move to get the Democrats off Trumps back.

The problem, oddly, is that Trump has run out of top cabinet advisers to fire. All the expendable alt right clowns and freedom caucus assholes are gone, so he'd have to start dropping generals next. Or Tillerson.

But what's he going to do, replace Tillerson with another USMC general?

So right now Trump is like a hot air balloon with no more ballast to drop, at least so far as the NSC and the top cabinet spots go.

Niall Ferguson proclaimed this the turning point in his times OP ed

Omg, Bannon is so bitter.

Check this out:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... -mcmaster/

Adelson’s email is a blow to McMaster, who is under heavy criticism for ousting political opponents inside the National Security Council who wanted to implement the president’s “America First” foreign policy agenda.

I mean, it says "Kristina wong" wrote this but I think we all know the truth.
Trump can still drop Jeff Sessions. There has been some tension between them lately. To me it looks like he could either drop Sessions or Tillerson...I am leaning towards Sessions being the first of the last to go.

I am glad that Bannon was kicked out. He and his acne can go far far away to Zimbabwe for all I care. :)
At least Steve Bannon was/is serious about his America First ('traditional America' anyway) nationalism. With his agenda in play, at least as the US heads into terminal decline they were going to go down fighting making a final stand.

Now, with Trump as mega-boss it'll probably just be sinking without any flapping of arms or treading water. The GOP (and perhaps the US as a whole as is increasingly possible) just needed enough rope, and Trump's looking like he's that rope.

:lol: (the qualification on this lol is that if Trump causes KJU to wipe out Seoul then the laughs on me too :( )

(Hmm ... second qualification is that if there is a Trump-inspired war in North East Asia, the global economic system is probably fucked and the US probably has the most to lose from that ... so) :hmm:
unbalanced zealot wrote:At least Steve Bannon was/is serious about his America First ('traditional America' anyway) nationalism. With his agenda in play, at least as the US heads into terminal decline they were going to go down fighting making a final stand.

Now, with Trump as mega-boss it'll probably just be sinking without any flapping of arms or treading water. The GOP (and perhaps the US as a whole as is increasingly possible) just needed enough rope, and Trump's looking like he's that rope.

:lol: (the qualification on this lol is that if Trump causes KJU to wipe out Seoul then the laughs on me too :( )

(Hmm ... second qualification is that if there is a Trump-inspired war in North East Asia, the global economic system is probably fucked and the US probably has the most to lose from that ... so) :hmm:

I agree that at least we can say Bannon is sincere in his beliefs. But his beliefs are a little strange.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/the-strange-origins-of-steve-bannons-nationalist-fantasia

I wouldn't write off the Americans so quickly. They still have the largest continuous area of agricultural land in the world and they are still isolated by distance from much of the trouble in the world. And they are showing more signs of facing up to problems that are the Europeans. Speaking of which...

America's allies are in steeper decline than America. Western Europe has more problems. The UK being a great example. There are few of the old allies that are doing well, Australia being one of the exceptions. But those countries are hardly large enough to make a difference. I think S Korea is doing OK too. So our perspective might be a bit sheltered. But it is certainly the case that the post Cold War era is over.

I am not sure Bannon's ideas would be the best for America but he certainly has managed to tip over the apple cart. America's will have to change. But then at this point in history, change is what is needed. The question then is for the Americans to figure out what direction they need to go in to cope with the world they find themselves in today.
“If there’s any confusion out there, let me clear it up: I’m leaving the White House and going to war for Trump against his opponents — on Capitol Hill, in the media, and in corporate America,” Bannon told Bloomberg Businessweek’s Joshua Green.

Bannon did not specifically mention the White House “Democrats” advising Trump in his conversation with Green, widely considered to be his enemies during his period of service.

In an interview with the American Prospect published on Wednesday, Bannon said his enemies were “wetting themselves” about his agenda. He specifically criticized White House economic adviser Gary Cohn and “Goldman Sachs lobbying” in the White House.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... for-trump/

Steve Bannon returned to Breitbart News as executive chairman on Friday following his ouster from the White House, the far-right website announced in a press release. Bannon chaired the outlet's evening editorial meeting, the press release added.

"I feel jacked up," Bannon told the Weekly Standard. "Now I'm free. I've got my hands back on my weapons. Someone said, 'it's Bannon the Barbarian.' I am definitely going to crush the opposition. There's no doubt. I built a f***ing machine at Breitbart. And now I'm about to go back, knowing what I know, and we're about to rev that machine up. And rev it up we will do."

Breitbart Editor-in-Chief Alex Marlow welcomed Bannon back in a statement, saying that Breitbart had "gained an executive chairman with his finger on the pulse of the Trump agenda."

Following news of Bannon's exit, Breitbart started to prepare stories critical of people in the Trump White House, a person at the website said. It's most likely the site will not -- for now at least -- directly attack the president, but will focus on people in Trump's circle who had clashed with Bannon, or who are viewed as Democrats or "globalists."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/18/media/s ... index.html
foxdemon wrote:Bumbling fool, Trump is a bumbling fool. That's how to say it properly in English.

Thank you!
Indeed I bumbled and got a wrong and misleading word.

It is bit like watching the end of the Roman Republic. So, are we seeing the end of the American Republic and the beginning of Imperial America?

Looking at a possible resemblance to the Roman Empire, one could say, that US power is strategic overstretched in similar terms, as was Rome at the eve of it's downfall.

I do presume that "the end of the American Republic" would not be "the beginning of Imperial America" but mark the end of the American Century. http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2017 ... hip-europe

But is hard to foresee, while the struggle within that severely split society is going on.
It could get out of it strengthened, as well as it could turn out, that our so beloved USA, is going finally down.
.. Bumbling and blundering in stumbles.
:D

(Thank you,
as a part of my intention is trying to learn to think in English, which is not only a very beautiful language, but also very useful. )
hartmut wrote:Looking at a possible resemblance to the Roman Empire, one could say, that US power is strategic overstretched in similar terms, as was Rome at the eve of it's downfall.

But is hard to foresee, while the struggle within that severely split society is going on.
It could get out of it strengthened, as well as it could turn out, that our so beloved USA, is going finally down.
.. Bumbling and blundering in stumbles.
:D
(Thank you,
as a part of my intention is trying to learn to think in English, which is not only a very beautiful language, but also very useful. )

I agree. But I knew if we elected anyone but the Trump of God that our fate would be as that of Old Rome. Trump's promise to "Make America Great Again, Greater Than Ever Before" was also acknowledgement that he, alone, of the candidates understood our problems. That is why, from his first campaign debate, I was on his side.
Praise the Lord. HalleluYah
Hindsite wrote:I agree. But I knew if we elected anyone but the Trump of God that our fate would be as that of Old Rome. Trump's promise to "Make America Great Again, Greater Than Ever Before" was also acknowledgement that he, alone, of the candidates understood our problems. That is why, from his first campaign debate, I was on his side.
Praise the Lord. HalleluYah

Are you kidding?
Was that a persiflage?
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Were Israelis not taking Palestinian land and hom[…]

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]