Florida members Irma!!! this is a serious storm !!!! - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Rubbish. Climate change theory asserts that global atmospheric temperatures will increase. Hurricanes have little to do with that. Hurricanes are simply the second law of thermodynamics. It is simply moving oceanic heat from a warmer place (near the equator) to a colder place. Hurricanes are cyclical as well, with the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. When the heat retreats from Central and South America back toward Australia, hurricanes are more likely in the Carribean.

The duration and strength of hurricanes have increased by about 50 percent over the last three decades, according to study author Kerry Emanuel, a professor of atmospheric science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge.

Emanuel's finding defies existing models for measuring storm strength. Current models suggest that the intensity of hurricanes and typhoons should increase by 5 percent for every 1ºC (1.8ºF) rise in sea surface temperature.

"We've had half a degree [Celsius] of warming, so that should have led to a 2.5 percent increase [in intensity], which is probably not detectable,"

I believe him rather than you.

It may be too early to tell to what extent Hurricanes are intensifying as a result of global warming but there is no doubt that they are intensifying and the science shows that warming has something to do with it. Sea levels are rising and that IS a result of warming. That is making Hurricanes worse.

Your assertions, Blackjack21, are groundless, myopic and ultimately far more dangerous than an error in the other direction.

All warriors know, "Plan for what your enemy could do not for what you think he might do."
SATURDAY As the storm started tracking away from hitting the east coast ( Miami) and the models slowly put the eye to the South West coast of Florida and directly into Fort Myers and Cape Coral, I knew it was time to board up. It shouldn’t have been much of a problem since I have been through this before with hurricanes Charlie, a cat 4 and Wilma. I grabbed the first piece of plywood and grunted and hauled it up over my head, and as I have one hand to hold it in place the other grabbing the Tapcon screws and one foot on the latter I’m like “son of a bitch” I painted the house since the last storm, none of the original holes were visible. This wouldn’t have been a problem if I was drilling into wood, but most of homes here are made of concrete block and I don’t have a mason’s drill bit. After running to Home Depot, only a couple miles away no big deal, my mind was on the massive crowd that was going to be there getting last minutes supplies, and not my wallet which I left at home Fuuuck. LOL Got my wallet went back knowing they wouldn’t have any concrete drill bits (I was correct) came home and fortunately my neighbor was home and he had some. I finally got ½ the windows done before I was too tired to do anymore. Slept like a baby.

SUNDAY Woke up early the winds were already getting started but I frantically finished the rest of the windows and felt pretty good about things, at least I had my fuel, food, generator, and water that I had been saving all week long since there wasn’t any water to purchase for days. The storm was down graded to a cat 3 but I knew it would upgrade to a 4 once it was done thrashing Cuba

2PM As the winds started to get stronger and gusts started picking up I braced the garage door by putting plywood and the ladder up to it, and then backing the car up against it. All the while watching the news in- between water breaks, as it was hot and humid as hell. Something on the news was strange that really got my attention. They started talking about storm surge in Feet above road level, not canal level. Cape Coral Florida has the largest canal system in the world something like 400 miles, and my variance is almost 9 feet above sea level. The local news anchors were going town by town with graphics saying you will have 6 to 9 feet of water in your home, NOT canal or tide levels but the street level!!! Now I’m like Fuuuuck again LOL. The water in my canal was a low as I have ever seen it in a long time. A friend that lived 22 miles east of me offered the day before to stay with him. Not knowing if I was going to have to put my mattress on the pool table, or worse sit on my roof, at the last minute I decide to throw a bunch of shit in the car and evacuate. Now I had everything in the car including the dog and I have to move the plywood and ladder to get it out. I hit the garage door opener and something got lodged and the door came off the track, Fuuuck again. By now the rain is coming down pretty good and sideways fortunately I put it back on track secured the door and got on the road. Now it’s getting nautical out, no one on the roads some limbs down already and I’m just blowing through stop lights on my way to Lee High Acers Florida 22 miles east. It hit me halfway there, that I may not have anything to come back too, not a good feeling at all thinking you can lose everything.

3PM Still full of adrenaline and a little confused and shocked we watched the news and storm tracking and showing all the water in some of the harbors getting sucked out into the Gulf of Mexico, it was surreal, hundreds of yards emptied. Then we watched some more until the power went off and switched to the radio, where they had the TV broadcast streaming. Something got our attention again the storm was tracking back to the east.

5PM The storm winds were picking up big time, and by now we learned the eye wall was going to hit Marco Island, Naples, Bonita Spring, and Lee High Acres, the freaking town I evacuated too. Fuuuuck again. Listening to the radio they would tell each town when you need to get to your safe spot as the eye wall approached. This was a giant waiting game and was one of the reason I evacuated, thinking about waiting 8 hours for this storm surge to hit my house was going to be torture.

6 PM the eye wall is on top of us, this was a very slow-moving storm so for an hour we got hammered by huge winds and sheets of rain and a giant limb from a Ficus tree fell on the roof, fortunately it did not put a hole in it. It was a crazy day we listened to the radio and played a few card games until passing out.

THE DAY AFTER The next day it was hard to get out of Lee High Acres because the roads were flooded badly, but I was able to eventually find a route. It was nuts, no traffic lights, crazy drivers, and it looked like a bomb went off. Roofs missing, trees, power lines, signs, and widows out. As I got closer to home things started looking better, lots of tree damage but not like Lee High. I turned the corner to my home and was relived to notice nothing too different. Lost a piece of facia from my roof and half the ceiling in my garage was cracked and caved in enough to not be able to open the garage door. Was feeling blessed that I avoided disaster. The water came over the canal and maybe 4 foot on my lawn but the storm surge didn’t play out anything like the news was hyping. Got my power back on in 2 days, and finally today got cable and internet back, even though it keeps going on and off. My friends in Lee High still don’t have power.

have some video but not sure how to attach from Iphone
That is amazing. I am really happy for you that your house was not too badly damaged. I hope you can get everything up and running soon.

What did you think of the government's response?
Fin! Good story. So pleased you and your home, and your friend, survived.

Edit:

Hubby received an email from friends in Havana. The main floor is rented out, and was flooded. His friends helped out cleaning it. Took 3 days to clean out water, glass, seaweed, and fish. Their place, 2nd 3rd and 4th floors was OK, and everyone lived.
Last edited by Stormsmith on 16 Sep 2017 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
Finfinder wrote: Cape Coral Florida

Thank's for the report. I was thinking of you and am glad you got through it safely. Funny how you can actually make friends without ever laying eyes on each other.

You live, it seems, in Cape Coral. So do I. Maybe we will get together over Winter for a cup of coffee. One stipulation though ............. no political talk :lol: .

I live in a condo next to a canal and, for a few days, imagined my place with no roof. I was reconciled to losing 100% of everything. The report from my neighbor was "no damage".
jimjam wrote:Thank's for the report. I was thinking of you and am glad you got through it safely. Funny how you can actually make friends without ever laying eyes on each other.

You live, it seems, in Cape Coral. So do I. Maybe we will get together over Winter for a cup of coffee. One stipulation though ............. no political talk :lol: .

I live in a condo next to a canal and, for a few days, imagined my place with no roof. I was reconciled to losing 100% of everything. The report from my neighbor was "no damage".

Just got my internet and cable back finally.

Sounds great !! do you fish? Coffee or some sipping rum and a cigar?

If you need me to check on your place let me know.
Finfinder wrote:Just got my internet and cable back finally.

Sounds great !! do you fish? Coffee or some sipping rum and a cigar?

If you need me to check on your place let me know.

Thanks for the offer FF but my next door neighbor gave me a (good) report. I'm not a fisherman but you can sip your rum while I drink a fine beer and we smoke a couple of cigars. We won't be in CC until late November, i'll pm you and we can work out the details. If I go to Cuba this winter I will certainly bring back some cigars.
Ter wrote:I am so jealous when I read what our Florida resident members are doing all day:
sipping rum, fishing, drinking beer and smoking cigars.
Damn.

LOL ............... While sipping rum, drinking beer, fishing and smoking cigars is relaxing and a helluva lot more enjoyable than sitting in a stuffy office all day staring at a computer, life has a way of evening things out. I won't speak for Finfinder but most of us are old, our knees hurt and we likely spend way more time with doctor visits than you do.
MistyTiger wrote:I am glad that @Finfinder is fine and that @jimjam has a home in Florida to return to. These hurricanes are damn scary!!!

Amen to that! My hubs has been going to Cuba twice a year for years. He's off again in less than 3 was, and for the first time, I'm concerned.
Stormsmith wrote:Amen to that! My hubs has been going to Cuba twice a year for years. He's off again in less than 3 was, and for the first time, I'm concerned.

thank you

Yes they were hit badly by Irma as well hope that doesn't jeopardize the trip. San Juan took it on the chin from Maria sounds like 2 million without power.
Thanks Finfinder. On the third day after Havana took a hit, he started receiving emails from his Cuban buddies, including his B and B landlady who told him she, her hubby, the girls, and the dog (who sleeps with Hubs) are looking forward to seeing him, so, assuming the airport is ok, the trip is still on.

I'm hearing reports that one or two of the islands that were hit could be without electricity for 4 to 6 months. Unbearable.

Skinster

This is Mexico's second earth quake in a month, isn't It? What's going on? Earthquakes, monster storms....all hell is breaking loose :|

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]

Al Quds day was literally invented by the Ayatolla[…]

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]