Is war between the USA and China inevitable - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

The thing about Democracies is that their policies are not written in stone. Governments change. So the question about what America might fear is not really well thought out. Policy is not necessarily representative of America.
Neither the present Chinese or US governments would have much of a design on the other's territory, except where Taiwan is concerned, and as for "China taking it back," it was never Chinese in the first place. It has been claimed, but that's different subject. In the first half of the 19th century Formosa was not part of the Chinese empire. And if my memory serves me, the island had different languages to the mainland.
So hostilities are possible if China decided to invade and the US government thought the defense worth the effort. But I don't think either would risk an all out intercontinental war. Both have a lot to lose. China's claim comes from a time when the radical Communist government saw Taiwan as a Imperialist base for invasion and their overthrow. That fear is hard to justify today. The US lost the Vietnam War, and Iraq and Afghanistan are complete military failures, using successful invasion as a benchmark. Public opinion is not going to see much value in Taiwan if it were to cut off consumer supply.
I doubt there is any more risk between China and the US going to war than between the US and Russia during the cold war. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose for both sides in fighting each other. The only way these two will go to war will be in regards of NK. And even then if NK is the agressor, China will probably allow some form of intervention.
Here's an interesting alternative take on geopolitical strategy:

http://www.classicsofstrategy.com/2008/10/the-geographical-pivot-of-history.html

Mackinder argues that a great power can control enough of the world's resources though a Central Asia land transport strategy. China's One Belt One Road is of this nature. Since Beijing is doing both the Silk Road idea and the naval power idea, it seems they share my doubts over Mackinder's ideas.
Oxymoron wrote:Only advantage China has is armies of Zombies willing to die, that advantage only works in a very limited war in Chinese territory. Otherwise the Chinese are not capable of defeating the US, Russia or even Japan. Simply their culture will not function in a modern battlefield.

But arguably the gap between US and China military is decreasing, in any aspect. Anything we can do to change the trend?
Specifically China has invested a lot across the world to acquire tech firms from western states...

If there is evidence showing that it is more plaus[…]

Yes, we know you believe Amit Soussana is a liar ([…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]