UNGA calls for lifting US blockade of Cuba - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

The vote at the UN was 191 in favour for lifting the blockade, against 2 (US & Israel). I understand this has been the same outcome for the past 26 years.

I also saw tighter sanctions were imposed on Cuba since Trump's presidency:

Cuba has been hit with new U.S.-imposed restrictions, which have, in effect, tightened the sanctions on the largest island in the Caribbean.

The move is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's campaign pledge to overturn rapprochement efforts initiated by his predecessor, Barack Obama.

Scheduled to take effect on Thursday, the changes will prevent U.S. trade with and travel to the Caribbean island. In a prepared statement, the U.S. Treasury Department said it will "expand the list of Cuban government officials barred from transactions as well as set policy to deny exports to prohibited Cuban entities.”

Commercial transactions and most travel arrangements made prior to the changes will be permitted by the United States, according to Reuters.
https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/ ... -0021.html

I read somewhere that close to 75% of Americans want the US to lift the blockade. What do Americans here think? What will people like @jimjam who likes to visit Cuba, do now that Trump is banning Americans from visiting?

I still plan to visit Cuba at the beginning of next year and I kind of feel/hope none of this shit affects me since I have a British passport which I travel with anyhow, but I wonder what is the case for Americans who want to visit while the situation remains as it is or as it was before these new sanctions.
Other than those on technical decisions (such as admission of new members and adoption of negotiated treaties), UNGA resolutions are non-binding. This one in particular can be seen more as an expression of world opinion, which the US can pretty much ignore like it has done before. Overall it shows how unsatisfying President Obama's move was on relaxing the sanctions rather than lifting it.
Not until Cuba learns its place, otherwise what is the benefit to the US?

To teach them their place on what and for which purpose? It was an ill-conceived action in the first place. As Kissinger once said: "the test of policy is how it ends, not how it begins."
Damn shame. The NSA has apparently been warning all and sundry of this alleged sonic attack. Hubby said he met no Americans and most of the tourists were German, Danes....Northern Europeans. Mind you, he hangs out in Havana, not in the big tourists-beach centres. This is going to be a rough year for Cubans, after that hurricane mess.
Cookie Monster wrote:To teach them their place on what and for which purpose? It was an ill-conceived action in the first place. As Kissinger once said: "the test of policy is how it ends, not how it begins."

Meaning why should we end the embargo unless it is on our terms. They must open their markets, and allow our business back to run the place.
Pants-of-dog wrote:It seems obvious that Cuba can continue forward, despite the embargo, as it has for decades. So, as a tool for political change in Cuba, the embargo is a failure.

Ummm so can we... why would we end an embargo without gaining something, since we really do not lose anything by keeping it in place. They can have an orangutang led politburo for all I care, as long as they give us a benefit. I mean no one cares that the Sauds are like a head chopping off Monarchy, why would we care what banana republic they run in Cuba?
Oxymoron wrote: They must open their markets, and allow our business back to run the place.

They're doing okay as they are, and they have the right to run their country as they see fit. Why would they capitulate to America, who is doing its damnedest to mess itself up?
Stormsmith wrote:They're doing okay as they are, and they have the right to run their country as they see fit. Why would they capitulate to America, who is doing its damnedest to mess itself up?

Again they are okay, fine by me and we are okay also? Why would we end the embargo and get nothing in return?
Pants-of-dog wrote:As long as we agree that the embargo is not helping you achieve your goal of controlling the Cuban economy.

It does not control it, but it does affect it. I mean the US is the worlds largest market and our absence from Cuba does affect them. What I would say is that they manage to survive without our economic presence, and we cannot control them politically. But again why end something without getting a benefit?
Oxymoron wrote:But again why end something without getting a benefit?

That is a literal no-brainer: America would make money with Cuba without an embargo making money-making mostly nonexistent. America does not make money with Cuba with the embargo. While America gains absolutely nothing with an embargo, it gains something without an embargo in place.
Oxymoron wrote:Again they are okay, fine by me and we are okay also? Why would we end the embargo and get nothing in return?

Well, you're $20,000,000,000,000.00 in debt. You tell me. By the way, Cuba runs it's own pharmaceutical industry, and sells to foreigners for a fraction of the price you'd spend stateside. This would force American pharmacies to play ball, and stop ripping you off.

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/status/17808380[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a r[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]