Roy Moore accused of sexual harassment for 1979 events - Page 19 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Drlee wrote:
Absolutely correct. And the damage is far greater than they realize. Look for a moment what the average working person takes away from high school. Just about the only point of law that survives into adulthood is the saying, "innocent until proven guilty". That is literally the extent of the legal education of the majority of Americans. I mean literally. So the average American sees any attempt to water down this treasured idea as a direct assault on our democracy and the rule of law.

I don't think that's very different in other western countries. Also, in my view, @Pants-of-dog is wrong to separate what happens in a court of law and in society in general, because acceptance of this principle must come first. Once people no longer appreciate how vital it is, the law may well change further down the line. But even if it doesn't, who needs a court of law if we can try people in the court of public opinion?

This is one of the milestones of any civilized society and must remain part of the cultural fabric. There aren't really very many of these basic principles, but they have to be defended unconditionally, because they are in place to moderate and counteract insidious and dangerous human instincts that have the potential to be very destructive.
Drlee wrote:Nonsense. A court is seeking the truth. It looks for proof and includes the use of reasoning skills on the part of jurors. The same skills we on this forum ought to use in deciding whether the allegations are true or not.

While trials and debates hold many similarities, there are significant qualitative differences.

The first is the presumption of innocence, which is a direct result of trying to protect individual liberty from tyrannical governments.

This does not exist in debate. We cannot start with the given that Moore is innocent and proceed from there, because that assumes a given fact that may not be necessarily true, and places all the burden of proof on one side.

It would be like starting a debate about whether Loki exists and assuming he does unless the atheist side can disprove it.

It makes perfect sense. Look at the title of the thread. We are debating whether or not those accusations are proven. Each of us is doing that. We arrive at what we believe is true. Using that decision as a basis for our action we decide what to do about it. It is perfectly possible for someone, the governor of Alabama for example, to believe the women and decide to vote for Moore anyway. That may not be what you or I would find reasonable but they certainly can sacrifice their integrity to serve what they consider a greater good.

You are confusing a liberal legal principle with a method at arriving at truth. They are two different things. The tools we use to arrive at truth in a debate should not include presumed innocence. It is logically fallacious to assume one answer and just mindlessly stick to it unless forced otherwise, even if the exact same tool works in a court of law. And by “works”, I mean it creates an somewhat effective obstacle to government tyranny, which is completely pointless in debate.

This is not even logical. Look at what you wrote and get back to us.

You do realise that this is part of different discussion that I am having about the prevalence of false rape allegations, I hope.

——————————

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The only interesting aspect of the sexual assault frenzy is that the left seems to really want to challenge the principle of innocent until proven guilty. It started on university campuses and is now spilling out into wider society.

No, this is a strawman. Leftists and progressives do not actually want this. This is fear mongering at worst and a huge misunderstanding at best.

I actually hope they carry on with these witch hunts, especially among their own and those who have publicly professed to be progressive. It demonstrates nicely how dangerous their mindset is. And if they don't, they look utterly hypocritical. If the right cannot capitalise on this politically, they'll only have themselves to blame.

Out of everyone here, I am the one who has actually challenged this idea. And I have not ever suggested that presumed evidence should be discarded from the justice system.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I don't think that's very different in other western countries. Also, in my view, @Pants-of-dog is wrong to separate what happens in a court of law and in society in general, because acceptance of this principle must come first. Once people no longer appreciate how vital it is, the law may well change further down the line. But even if it doesn't, who needs a court of law if we can try people in the court of public opinion?

This is one of the milestones of any civilized society and must remain part of the cultural fabric. There aren't really very many of these basic principles, but they have to be defended unconditionally, because they are in place to moderate and counteract insidious and dangerous human instincts that have the potential to be very destructive.

This uncritical worship of a legal principle is all very moral, if we disregard sexual assault.

The argument is that we should treat women who have been sexually assaulted exactly as we treat potentially tyrannical governments when it comes to being trusted and dealing with burden of proof.

And not only in court, but in all walks of life. And the justification for this seems to be a slippery slope fallacy that also disregards the very different contexts.

No. When my friends come to me to tell me that they have been sexually assaulted, I do not place the same burden of proof on them as i would place on the state accusing someone in court of law. These are two very different contexts. And debate is another different altogether.

Yes, it may give the average person way too much credit in the thinking department, but I am not going to ignore reality just because people might misunderstand me.

———————————

Beren wrote:They nominated Hillary Clinton for president for example, I wonder whether Pod and comrades could be stopped under a Clinton administration.

Lol. I think Clinton is almost as bad as Trump.

Anyway, if progressives got their way, all boys would be raised to not sexually assault females.

Is that what you want to stop?
Pants-of-dog wrote:When my friends come to me to tell me that they have been sexually assaulted, I do not place the same burden of proof on them as i would place on the state accusing someone in court of law.

It it natural to believe our friends. The friends of Roy Moore believe him too. So what?
Hindsite wrote:Yes, you said you believe your friends. But you don't explain why the friends of Roy Moore should not believe him. Or do you mean Roy Moore's friends should believe him?

Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that you think I am talking about Moore and his friends when I never mentioned them.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that you think I am talking about Moore and his friends when I never mentioned them.

So now you are saying you were not referring to the subject of this thread? So why post it?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Lol. I think Clinton is almost as bad as Trump.

Anyway, if progressives got their way, all boys would be raised to not sexually assault females.

Is that what you want to stop?

But she's a woman at least, isn't she? :lol:

I want to stop your extremism which is threatening the basic principles of an enlightened society.
Hindsite wrote:Then what is your point?

As I said, please read the thread for context, and if you are still confused, please quote the part that confuses you.

———————————

Beren wrote:But she's a woman at least, isn't she? :lol:

And?

I want to stop your extremism which is threatening the basic principles of an enlightened society.

How so? I clearly explained how presumed innocence is perfectly fine for a court of law but does is unnecessary and fallacious for debate. Is that extremism threatening society?

Or do you think raising all boys to not sexually assault women is a bad thing?
Pants-of-dog wrote:How so? I clearly explained how presumed innocence is perfectly fine for a court of law but does is unnecessary and fallacious for debate. Is that extremism threatening society?

Yes, it's threatening society. How can you expect anyone to prove his innocence just because he's accused of something? And if he doesn't do that, then there should be consequences, of course! Your extremism is as much dangerous to society as religious extremism is.
Beren wrote:Yes, it's threatening society. How can you expect anyone to prove his innocence just because he's accused of something? And if he doesn't do that, then there should be consequences, of course! Your extremism is as much dangerous to society as religious extremism is.

You may have misread my posts.

Presumed innocence is perfectly fine in a court of law.
I support the idea that someone is innocent until proven guilty when we are discussing legal proceedings.
In a trial, the burden of proof is on the accuser.

Are we clear on this?

This is not my whole argument, but until you are 100% clear on this part, there is not much reason to go into the rest.

Is it clear?
Beren wrote:It's clear, but who talks about that?

You just talked about it. In fact, you said I wanted to get rid of presumed innocence.

If Moore can't prove his innocence, he shouldn't be elected, right?

I did not claim this either.

Your idea that my extremist views are dangerous seems to be based in your misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Sure, the advocates of fascism (or wholism as I[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Saw an article about this story earlier in the mo[…]

@Godstud " blowjobs" You are like […]

@Rich more veterans lose their lives in peace ti[…]