Is It Okay To Be White? - Page 25 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is It Okay To Be White?

1. Yes, It Is Okay To Be White.
67%
2. No, It Is Not Okay To Be White.
16%
3. Other
17%
Godstud wrote:Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it any less real. You are simply refusing to deal with reality because you call anything that isn't confirmation bias, "fake" or, "propaganda". It's really not dealing with reality in a logical, or reasonable, manner.

How are you going to learn anything if everything that doesn't fit in your tiny little box of preconceived notions is fake, or propaganda? :?: You are pretty much the old dog that refuses to even try to learn a new trick.

Black Privilege

The ability for Blacks to openly spew racist violent hatred towards whites without social or legal repercussion.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... 0Privilege
@Hindsite Yes, but that's the ONLY privilege, and it's a pretty crap one to have compared to the ones the White people enjoy. :lol:
Congratulations on posting the most racist post I've seen in ages. :knife:
Godstud wrote:Congratulations on posting the most racist post I've seen in ages.

That proves my point. Ha, ha, ha. :lol:
Praise the Lord.
Godstud wrote:1. I Have the Privilege of Having a Positive Relationship with the Police, Generally

What does this even mean? I assume that the Thai people and Japanese have a positive relationship with the police in their own countries. But they are not white.

Godstud wrote:2. I Have the Privilege of Being Favored by School Authorities

And what if school authorities in China favour Han Chinese over Uyghurs, for example?

Godstud wrote:3. I Have the Privilege of Attending Segregated Schools of Affluence

The white working class in England have this privilege?

And wealthy blacks and Asians in England do not have this privilege?

Godstud wrote:4. I Have the Privilege of Learning about My Race in School

I think you will find that in India they learn about the history of India. Therefore Indians in India are learning about their race at school.

Godstud wrote:5. I Have the Privilege of Finding Children’s Books that Overwhelmingly Represent My Race

You live in Asia and have not seen children's books that feature mostly Asian characters?

Godstud wrote:6. I Have the Privilege of Soaking in Media Blatantly Biased Toward My Race

Most media in Asia does not feature mainly white people.

Godstud wrote:7. I Have the Privilege of Escaping Violent Stereotypes Associated with My Race

Who actually has such a privilege?

Godstud wrote:8. I Have the Privilege of Playing the Colorblind Card, Wiping the Slate Clean of Centuries of Racism

Meaning?

Godstud wrote:9. I Have the Privilege of Being Insulated from the Daily Toll of Racism

In a Westerm country, yes.

Godstud wrote:10. I Have the Privilege of Living Ignorant of the Dire State of Racism Today

Probably. Most white Westerners never experience racism, living as part of a majority and this is why they can accept nonsense ideas like white privilege.
@Political Interest, Godstud's list applies mainly to white people in the USA (ironically enough, considering that he's a Canadian ex-pat who lives in Thailand with a Thai wife and a half-Thai son). It clearly does not apply to, say, white people in the UK or indeed to white people considered globally.
Potemkin wrote:@Political Interest, Godstud's list applies mainly to white people in the USA (ironically enough, considering that he's a Canadian ex-pat who lives in Thailand with a Thai wife and a half-Thai son). It clearly does not apply to, say, white people in the UK or indeed to white people considered globally.

It is okay to be white in the USA, if you don't use the N - word and you praise Black Lives Matter.
Potemkin wrote:Godstud's list applies mainly to white people in the USA (ironically enough, considering that he's a Canadian ex-pat who lives in Thailand with a Thai wife and a half-Thai son). It clearly does not apply to, say, white people in the UK or indeed to white people considered globally.

Unfortunately it applies to all white people everywhere, well at least those from the "Germanic" world and France. You can see people arguing for this in every context, including among European foreigners in Asia, the privileged expatriates.

It is ultimately a very racist idea. The people who advocate it usually have some sort of chip on their shoulder or an axe to grind against white Westerners. Most of them will never admit it, though. What the white privilege idea is suggesting is that whites are basically a privileged, global bourgeois ethnicity. They did not earn anything through their own labour and are the perennial villains of history. The white proletariat, if it even exists is nothing but a mere labour aristocracy and the revolution can only come from the immigrant labourers in Europe or in global south. The people who advocate this idea will never admit that they hold anti-white prejudices, but will instead just push narrative, a lot like their counterparts in the Alt-Right. Both the cultural leftists and the far right are dishonest, because instead of finding common ground and respecting all humanity they instead like to push narrative to advance a subjective agenda. But it's not even an idea that is exclusive to the far left, it's now part of mainstream Western liberalism and has been absorbed into middle class dogma.

It's important not to get that worked up about it. If the mercantile individualists want to believe in this nonsense and in doing so piss on their ancestors and all they struggled for, as well as write off their children and grandchildren's future, that is their choice. Whenever I hear someone talking about white privilege I know that person either has some type of racist agenda or they're some type of weird Western mercantile type. I don't have much time for either, to be honest. It's not much different to wanting to avoid Alt-Right supporters.
I don't get the distinction between the US and, say, the UK as far as "white privilege" is concerned. As far as I can see, there's a similar class divide in both countries which shouldn't be surprising since until fairly recently immigrants to the US were predominantly Brits and northwestern Europeans.
Just to be clear, privilege is culturally specific. White priviliege does not exist in all societies. Japan is a good example of whites being a racial underclass. And white privilege in the eastern US is different from white privilege in midwest Canada.

Also, racial privilege is not the only form of privilege. The privilege that comes with wealth is usually far more significant in western societies. There is also cis privilege, hetero privilege, male privilege, and a bunch of others.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Just to be clear, privilege is culturally specific. White priviliege does not exist in all societies. Japan is a good example of whites being a racial underclass. And white privilege in the eastern US is different from white privilege in midwest Canada.

Thank you very much for acknowledging this. I always agreed that institutional discrimination exists in Western countries. You have now made the distinction that I have long hoped the cultural left would make.
I don't get the distinction between the US and, say, the UK as far as "white privilege" is concerned. As far as I can see, there's a similar class divide in both countries which shouldn't be surprising since until fairly recently immigrants to the US were predominantly Brits and northwestern Europeans.

It's because of the different histories of the US and the UK with regard to slavery. The British were always very careful to keep the black slaves out of Britain. It was a large part of the basis of the wealth of the British Empire, and they knew it went on, but they didn't want to see it. Rather like child labour in third world countries nowadays, in fact. The US, as a colony before the Revolution, had a huge influx of African slaves, and this had certain consequences. The slaves, and later their freed descendants, became a racially defined proletariat in US society, whereas the British always had a native white proletariat. Even to this day, the Americans like to import their proletariat (mainly from Latin America these days). This is where the concept of 'white privilege' comes from - it is essentially a class privilege, marked out by a racial basis in slavery.
Potemkin wrote:It's because of the different histories of the US and the UK with regard to slavery. The British were always very careful to keep the black slaves out of Britain. It was a large part of the basis of the wealth of the British Empire, and they knew it went on, but they didn't want to see it. Rather like child labour in third world countries nowadays, in fact. The US, as a colony before the Revolution, had a huge influx of African slaves, and this had certain consequences. The slaves, and later their freed descendants, became a racially defined proletariat in US society, whereas the British always had a native white proletariat. Even to this day, the Americans like to import their proletariat (mainly from Latin America these days). This is where the concept of 'white privilege' comes from - it is essentially a class privilege, marked out by a racial basis in slavery.

But the division we are talking about exists in every society in one way or the other. I'm always struck by how what seems to me to be a basic fact is hyped as some sophisticated insight. For instance, how is the disdain US coastal elites have for "fly over" country and vice versa any different in terms of being divisive and associating certain characteristic and stereotypes with a group? As for importing a proletariat, hasn't Europe, including Britain, done the same with the migration waves starting in the 60s?

I appreciate that there are differences in how this actually plays out in every society, but we are elevating this issue to ever new heights. The better and more egalitarian our societies become, the fiercer is the insistence that they are horrible places. The list Godstud posted is a case in point - much of it so laughable, I have a hard time taking it seriously.
But the division we are talking about exists in every society in one way or the other. I'm always struck by how what seems to me to be a basic fact is hyped as some sophisticated insight. For instance, how is the disdain US coastal elites have for "fly over" country and vice versa any different in terms of being divisive and associating certain characteristic and stereotypes with a group? As for importing a proletariat, hasn't Europe, including Britain, done the same with the migration waves starting in the 60s?

Indeed, but they were never in the numbers that were imported to the American colonies by the trans-Atlantic slave trade, and they were never actually slaves in Britain. They simply merged into the native white proletariat. Britain has never had the same problems with racism that America has, because of our different histories. And yes, you're basically right to point to class privilege as the essential problem here. It's just that in America that class privilege has historically taken on racist overtones, and the white ruling elite used racism to induce the poor whites to identify themselves with the elite against the black minority, thereby defusing potential class conflict. This mystification has re-emerged in recent years as the concept of 'white privilege', though ironically in an inverted form. Lol.

I appreciate that there are differences in how this actually plays out in every society, but we are elevating this issue to ever new heights. The better and more egalitarian our societies become, the fiercer is the insistence that they are horrible places. The list Godstud posted is a case in point - much of it so laughable, I have a hard time taking it seriously.

I'm inclided to agree with you about Godstud's list - it actually tends to trivialise the real suffering endured by racial minorities in America under slavery and then Jim Crow, and the discrimination they still face even to this day, not to mention the vicious racism of the apartheid regimes in South Africa and Rhodesia under white minority rule. Now that was 'white privilege'.
This:
Pants of Dog wrote:Just to be clear, privilege is culturally specific. White priviliege does not exist in all societies. Japan is a good example of whites being a racial underclass. And white privilege in the eastern US is different from white privilege in midwest Canada.

1. I used a list from a site showing privilege. PI picked the one I thought was the worse of the two, but ... meh, that's how it goes. I wouldn't agree 100% with a list, but I was just making a point.

2. Yes, I enjoy white privilege in Thailand, but as PoD already said, it's mostly culturally specific. I still enjoy getting waved thru check stops as soon as they see I am a white foreigner, instead of being stopped and asked for a license.

3. My son's full Thai, as I am a happy step father, Potemkin. :D
3. My son's full Thai, as I am a happy step father, Potemkin. :D

Ah, I see. My apologies for my mistake, Godstud. :)
Potemkin wrote:Ah, I see. My apologies for my mistake, Godstud. :)

We all make mistakes, even Godstud. That is because we are human and not God. Praise our Lord and Savior.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...The French were the first "genociders&quo[…]

A gentle tongue speaks many languages.. :lol:[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]