What! No festive cheer on PoFo? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere -particularly somewhere as hot as Australia - seems a bit pointless, really. It'd be really jarring to have a fundamentally wintry festival in the height of summer.
Igor Antunov wrote:Guess it is politically incorrect to celebrate European traditions in majority European countries these days.
:lol: Baaaahaaahaaa!!! What a crybaby, whiney statement! Are you being victimized ? :*( I thought Russian males had balls.

The Muslims where I worked all celebrated Christmas, as did the Hindus, Sikhs, and the Buddhists. You're talking out your ass.

Christmas is fading because people people know it for what it is, and Christians took the Christ out of Christmas long ago. It's the most commercialized holiday in existence.
Igor Antunov wrote:It's sad how dead Christmas is here in Australia. 3 houses in our entire suburb have put up lights, and shopping centres are simply peddling Christmas themed chocolates, nary a Santa in sight. I have seen almost no Christmas trees. Guess it is politically incorrect to celebrate European traditions in majority European countries these days.

No... Australia's Christmas has always been last minute late December stuff. In fact people were bitching about how "early the supermarkets are getting". t's too hot here.

Myer Christmas windows, Adelaide's parade and all that crap is always right near the end.

Santa literally appears like a week out in the Shops in some dingy "ex bookstore area". Always been like this here Igor.

Melbourne has like most of the major evens a week out. But the Myer Windows stay out till mid January....
I love the way they celebrate Christmas in Mexico. It is very spiritual, family oriented, musical but not loud. It is just perfect!

They have las posadas, and el ponche, y la fogata, and tamalada and so many traditional things. All family oriented, spiritual and not about presents. It is lovely. Always has been.

Colorful too. Color. Music. Love. Contemplation. Family and Tradition. That is Christmas in Mexico.

Last edited by Tainari88 on 15 Dec 2017 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
I live and work in Russia, where 25th December is just a normal working day - our holiday goes from New Year's Day to Orthodox Christmas on 7th January. It's a wonderful excuse for celebrating in my preferred way - not with an excruciatingly annoying family lunch but with a few pints in a bar with a couple of friends.
Godstud wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMtuVP8Mj4o

Jose Feliciano the Puerto Rican guy from New York. Feliz Navidad. Feliz Navidad to you Godstud! :)

Kirillov, the Puerto Rican Christmases of the past are spectacular. Dancing, music, food, alcohol, beaches, friends and perfect weather. This Christmas? It is going to be different. But music, dancing and communal kitchens with a lot of live instruments. That is what that is about and will happen.

I loved Christmas in my nation. It is indeed the happiest time of year there. Always.
Kirillov wrote:I live and work in Russia, where 25th December is just a normal working day - our holiday goes from New Year's Day to Orthodox Christmas on 7th January. It's a wonderful excuse for celebrating in my preferred way - not with an excruciatingly annoying family lunch but with a few pints in a bar with a couple of friends.

Not to be rude but... you technically do celebrate it on December 25th, on the over 2000 year old outdated Julian Calendar.

You guys should just adopt the Gregorian Calendar and drop the near two week gap. We can make a big deal out of the ecumenism of it all.

Your calendar is outdated.... based on Julius Caesar's ancient commissioned calendar. Under the newer calculation we would all celebrate Christmas and Easter at the same time.

It's a stupid ancient argument.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, God bless you all.
colliric wrote:You guys should just adopt the Gregorian Calendar and drop the near two week gap. We can make a big deal out of the ecumenism of it all.

Your calendar is outdated.... based on Julius Caesar's ancient commissioned calendar. Under the newer calculation we would all celebrate Christmas and Easter at the same time.

Why should a nation adopt someone else's traditions for the sakes of their traditions for the price of continuity?
I was wondering that myself, especiaĺly considering the Aussies dont do an especially good job of keeping Christmas
Screw it all and move to a lunar calendar.

Christmas itself I can take or leave. It never was a big holiday for me, but I don't mind it. Mostly it is a big family dinner and some presents for the kids. The average weather here is sunny for Christmas, so it is hard to really care any more than I do about Easter. Which my mostly agnostic family celebrates, too, because why not. Religion aside, it is a social thing now. I see no reason to fight over it.

Christmas music, however, makes me want to kill people, so the month is usually unbearable.
B0ycey wrote:Why should a nation adopt someone else's traditions for the sakes of their traditions for the price of continuity?

Because it's actual continuity to celebrate it "at the correct time", which is the Gregorian Calculation for December 25th. The solar year December 25th(I.e December 25th as calculated by Nature as we go around the sun).

The Julian Calendar is literally 11 days off and getting 1 day more inaccurate with every two centuries which pass. Passover, 14th Nisan, is occasionally biblically miscalculated under the old calendar.
I'm with Zagadka on the music, but the rest of it is OK. Family dinners, a few Christmas parties, and the like are entirely bearable.

The calendar thing just sounds dumb.
colliric wrote:Because it's actual continuity to celebrate it "at the correct time", which is the Gregorian Calculation for December 25th. The solar year December 25th(I.e December 25th as calculated by Nature as we go around the sun).

Hang on there. Take a step back. What is the correct time again?

Apart from the obvious debate that the 25th December isn't the correct date, why does the position of our planet to the Sun have paramount importance to that to a festive timetable based on many celestial things?

A longstanding celebration is a tradition and to remove tradition from it loses that actual meaning of it I suspect.
B0ycey wrote:Hang on there. Take a step back. What is the correct time again?

Apart from the obvious debate that the 25th December isn't the correct date, why does the position of our planet to the Sun have paramount importance to that to a festive timetable based on many celestial things?

A longstanding celebration is a tradition and to remove tradition from it loses that actual meaning of it I suspect.

It is a more important debate at Easter because obviously it affects the Passover dating more immediately due to the Hebrew Calendar's Julian based lunar calculations being somewhat inaccurate now.

And in fact as I stated, the Orthodox do celebrate it on the old December 25th, because January 7th Gregorian is December 25th on the Julian. If the orthodox continue to use it, they will soon be celebrating Christmas on January 8th in the Gregorian calendar.
Both Orthodox and Catholic are wrong the correct time for Christmas is the Winter Solstice which with occurs on 21st/22nd of December using the Gregorian Calendar. It's no big deal, just saying.

B0ycey wrote:Apart from the obvious debate that the 25th December isn't the correct date, why does the position of our planet to the Sun have paramount importance to that to a festive timetable based on many celestial things?

The original Christmas, the pagan yuletide, was very much celebrating this feature of orbital mechanics as it effects the day/night cycle and meteorological patterns. To put it more poetically it is celebrating the time where the goddess becomes a mother again and births the Sun King, winter's turning point.

------

Australians being antipodian are even more out of whack than anyone north of the equator. Aussies need to celebrate winter's turning point in their winter not Europe's winter, Aussies should celebrate in mid June during what is the Summer Solstice for northerners but is the winter solstice for australians. The yuletide will be a lot less weird and jarring if you put out your fake snow and decorated fir tress in mid-winter rather than the height of summer. At some point you have to stop being colonists and become natives.

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

https://twitter.com/huwaidaarraf/status/1773389663[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What wat0n is trying to distract from: https://tw[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]