What! No festive cheer on PoFo? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
colliric wrote:There is one thing and one thing alone Australians celebrate throughout winter.....

Except in Igor's backwards NRL loving state.....

The NRL blows the AFL out of the water. What's the point in a game where it's impossible to miss the goal, and even if you do, you get a point for trying anyway? :lol:
I doubt the Russian Orthodox Church is going to change its calendar for reasons of symmetry. I also think most Russians prefer the current set-up, since it puts the New Year's celebrations first - this is the major holiday for virtually all Russians, while Orthodox Christmas on 7th January tends to be more exclusively religious.
anasawad wrote:We didn't really prepare anything here for Christmas as We'll be spending the Christmas week with my sisters in Saint Petersburg.

That's nice that you see your sisters. Do you do anything special with them?
Heisenberg wrote:The NRL blows the AFL out of the water. What's the point in a game where it's impossible to miss the goal, and even if you do, you get a point for trying anyway? :lol:

Pure High Scoring Action.

AFL is a high scoring game with frequent goals because to most fans a "shootout" is exciting and in AFL is very very frequent. Goals are easy because it's basically the Football code designed for fast pace high-risk high-scoring shootout matches. The opposite of Soccer with it's very low scores.
@anasawad

The same, but I've already started both. Spend the last two days cooking, will spend today cleaning. We generally put up the (real) tree on the 15th, plus or minus a day.

We usually have Christmas dinner on Christmas eve. Some of hubby's sisters and his brother come, sometimes my best friend joins us.

Christmas day is just for us. Sleep late, call England (family) take the dog (s), sometimes the horses to a park around a rather lovely lake. It's a nice place to count your blessings. Go home, have left over turkey and a little too much wine and open a few presents. Usually finish the day curled up watching Alex Guiness's A Christmas Carol.

Very lazy, very lovely.
@Stormsmith
You know, We pretty much never had Turkey on Christmas or thanksgiving, I personally find it weird that everyone eats the exact same dish at these specific date. :p

For us here, usually we put the decorations around the end of december, so its a bit early now.
And at Christmas day, Lina prefers to spend it at church, her mother usually comes as well.
Though I'm not a Christian, but I usually go with them and participate. Formerly in Saint Demetrious Church, but here didn't pick a routine church yet.
And strict no alcohol policy in Christmas. :)
@anasawad

I think the appeal of Turkey is that they last a few days past Christmas, and I'm fed up of cooking and dishes it's nice to have a few days off. And it's affordable. In Charles Dickens day, goose was more popular in Europe. Turkeys were imported.

I think that's lovely of you to go with Lina. My mother never got Dad to take her, and I've not had much success getting my husband to go, either.

No alcohol? See, here the vicar gives you a sip of wine....

PS do you do the Christmas tree thingee?
@Stormsmith
I think the appeal of Turkey is that they last a few days past Christmas, and I'm fed up of cooking and dishes it's nice to have a few days off. And it's affordable. In Charles Dickens day, goose was more popular in Europe. Turkeys were imported.

Yea, thats probably the reason for it. Here or back in Lebanon, Turkey's aren't cheap. :p

I think that's lovely of you to go with Lina. My mother never got Dad to take her, and I've not had much success getting my husband to go, either.

Thanks. From a personal aspect, Its fun and good in the sense that we go into debates concerning religion and philosophy etc alot, and participation gives perspective.
And I don't think its really that uncommon; Back in Lebanon in the church we used to go to, saint demetrius church during religious holidays, we used to see lots of people from multiple Christian and Muslim sects along with Druze and Alawites all attend the Church festive and ceremonies and participate in the events even in the preparations for them.
The only ones I personally noted not to participate much are Sunni sects which are rarely seen present or participating in such occasions.

No alcohol? See, here the vicar gives you a sip of wine....

It depends on the sect and people really. In her sect, that story about Jesus turning water into wine doesn't really follow with them. So specially in times like Christmas, no alcohol is allowed. :p

PS do you do the Christmas tree thingee?

Yup.
colliric wrote:Pure High Scoring Action.

AFL is a high scoring game with frequent goals because to most fans a "shootout" is exciting and in AFL is very very frequent. Goals are easy because it's basically the Football code designed for fast pace high-risk high-scoring shootout matches. The opposite of Soccer with it's very low scores.

I guess that's fair. I must admit I've never properly watched AFL, so I'm probably being unfair to it. Haha.

That said, league is a fantastic game and I won't hear a word against it.

We can both agree that soccer is dire, though.
Heisenberg wrote:Do you follow Super League, @Decky?

I used to... I have the great misfortune to support Bradford Bulls. Who's your team?
Hull FC. I remember watching them heroically lose a very tight game against St Helens back when St Helens were thrashing everyone all the time. I think they must have spent about 60 minutes camped on their own try line, but somehow avoided getting completely blown out.

Needless to say, things have changed since then. :)
My neighbors do the Christmas lights. I don't want my mom or dad on a ladder to string lights so we don't do it. And I certainly don't want lights up. I'd get tangled in them like a confused kitty. The old fake tree is in the attic, I don't want my dad or anyone else in my house climbing up there. It's too much of a bother and I've been too tired to think about decorating.

We just spend time with my sister and her roommate, enjoy Christmas desserts, and enjoy pasta or whatever my mom wants to make or whatever my sister orders.

The music drives me batty. Can't people make up their own songs? They all sound alike.

The after Christmas sales are pretty cool though. The stores are quiet and you can find some good deals (sometimes some of the picked over items are decent).
I was raised by atheists and still celebrated Christmas pretty hard. You don't need to be religious to give a fuck about Christmas. I hate the stress of having to buy lots of presents though. I just get presents for kids and one secret santa recipient.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]